Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Has this ever happened to you?
Old 04 Mar 2008, 00:48   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Has this ever happened to you?

The other night I was having a heated game (1000 points), which I was barely winning (It was secure and hold) On the second last turn of the game, all I needed to do to win was keep the space marines away from the last objective. As tau suck at combat, I had the shooting phase to do so, as I was too far to make it to the objective myself on turn 6. So firt I fired my hammerhead's ion. It missed. All three shots. So did the 4 crisis suits in range. (One hit, but failed to wound). So did the twin linked railguns that my broadsides aimed that direction. So did every one of my firewarriors. Out of roughly 40 shots, only two hit, and not a single one wounded. My friend did his happy dance, and felt something wrench deep in my gut. It was the most crushing game I have ever played. Has anything this bizarre happened to you? Is this even possible?
Old 04 Mar 2008, 02:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Tanyos
Default Re: Has this ever happened to you?

Better look both ways before crossing the street, next thing you know a Land Raider might turn you into a stain on the concrete...
O_o
o_O
O_O
Tanyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2008, 02:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I've had a Hive Tyrant surrounded by my:

-2 Fusion Piranhas
-2 Devilfishes
-2 Hammerheads, 1 still with a Railgun
-Some Crisis Suits (which had plasma rifles)
-2 Gun Drones.

All I needed was to wound it once more and it'd die.
My Piranhas missed
My Devilfishes managed some hits, but didn't wound
My Hammerheads missed
My Crisis Suits failed to wound.
My Gun Drones manage to shoot the damn thing down
Old 04 Mar 2008, 03:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

What, Tau lost? Surely you jest...

The Dice God doesn't discriminate, he giveth and he can taketh away!

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2008, 08:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yes, it has.

A Scriptor of the "Dark Knights"-Chapter called "Muerte" sucked up the whole firepower of a 1.000 points Tau army, before hitting my lines.

It was not very pretty...
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2008, 08:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I cant say I have had anything that bad happen, but I can guarantee, that everygame I play, I will have a few units with BS 4 miss with Twin linked weapons. Often those are roles of 1 and 1. SO even if I had markers to hit the enemy with, I would still miss. This happens to me quite often.
Old 04 Mar 2008, 12:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyven
I've had a Hive Tyrant surrounded by my:

-2 Fusion Piranhas
-2 Devilfishes
-2 Hammerheads, 1 still with a Railgun
-Some Crisis Suits (which had plasma rifles)
-2 Gun Drones.

All I needed was to wound it once more and it'd die.
My Piranhas missed
My Devilfishes managed some hits, but didn't wound
My Hammerheads missed
My Crisis Suits failed to wound.
My Gun Drones manage to shoot the damn thing down
Hey, don't underestimate those Gun Drones! I've been in the same boat as you (having all my high-STR weapons miss or fail to wound), and then have a Gun Drone come along and save the day. So far my faithful drones have downed an Eldar Fire Prism and at least a handful of Terminators.
FaithTruthWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2008, 02:50   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidstyler
What, Tau lost? Surely you jest...

The Dice God doesn't discriminate, he giveth and he can taketh away!
It was a close battle, and for the record, the cheesy stink of his army can draw mice from other continents. I've also decide to call the dice god "capricious" in private, after that game (find a dictionary if you don't know "capricious"). Drones are usefull as sacrifices, and can occasionally suprise you. Overestimating them is much more dangerous than under estimating, as relying on a floating pie plate with a gun strapped on is not smart. Use them, expect them to do some damage, possibly a lot, but for the love of "capricious" don't rely on them. (just out of curiosity, who won CmdrBonesaw?)
Old 05 Mar 2008, 03:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

I've had the opposite happen.

My last squad of 6 unbonded FW last 3 turns of shooting hell from a whole ork waagh!

Course, then the whole damned army hit them in assault and I lost. Horribly.

Twas still funny.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Mar 2008, 18:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I played a fantasy game where I was playing night goblins, and so was my opponent.

First turn was his so he decided to fire his one and only doom diver (which he admitted be only took to fill up points) Seeing the only logical target as my Black Ork general, he fired.

I had no worries since the odds of it hitting my general were slim, and even then he had a 2+ armor save, a 4+ unmodified and six wounds.

he guessed the range right on to the inch. He rolled a hit. No deviation. Landed the Str 10 hit right on his noodle, I failed every save, and he rolled 6 wounds.

It was the Vindicare Sniper of goblins. My whole army broke ranks and since I hadnt even moved yet, they were inches from the table edge. It was game over.

On the 40k side I played Dark Angels verses Orks

First turn he fired his 2 pulsa rockets. He guessed the range exactly. He rolled hits on both, and double sixes for both.(so then the pulsa goes off for an extra round) for max radius of effect.

My tanks were sent flying and my dreadnaught's legs went bye-bye. The rest of my marines just layed on their backs and vibrated.

next turn he advances and rolls the pulsas again. Again double sixes on both. I swore he was using loaded dice, but we were both using the same set to play, and I had no such rolls. Again my marines sat puking in their armor as the green hoard advanced.

I told him if he rolled sixes again Id hit him in the head with a carpenter's hammer that was near by the table (he was a buddy of mine...my opponent, not the hammer)

he rolled 6 and 5 for both pulsas. I still chased after him with the claw hammer anyhow. 100 pnts of Ork heavy weapons wiped out 2000pnts of marines.

its called Murphy's Law. eventually youre gonna have the worst game ever at least once. They give awards for it as boobie-prizes at tournaments, and they never have a lack of contenders for it.