Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Enough cover for my hybrid army?
Old 02 Mar 2008, 11:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to cyberzomby
Default Enough cover for my hybrid army?

Hey folks!

I need an army list for upcoming weekend I was thinking of going skimmer heavy!

I can pull of:

1 sky-ray, 2 hammerheads and 2 devilfishes. I also got a piranha glued together and another still in the box. I got 4 crisis suits( maybe 7 if I can make a deal with someoen ) and 8 stealths

The tournament/event Im going to play on usualy has a shortage of terrain. Usualy we get 5 size 3 pieces for a table.
1 in each corner and one in the centre. Than we got some size 2's mixed about.

Is this enough to play a mech army. I never played a mech/hybrid army but now with the 1700 pts limit ( usualy we use 1500 ) I thought what the heck lets add some armor to my list. Normally I play with a sky-ray, warfish and piranha.

So how do I play on this terrain? And what do I do when theres suddenly more terrain?
cyberzomby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2008, 12:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox
Default Re: Enough cover for my hybrid army?

As long as you have multi trackers on your hammerheads and sky ray you'll be ok, just keep moving and use the terrain the block line of site to you, "snipe" with your hammerheads and skyray.

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2008, 13:19   #3 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui

Timjim has told you all you need about vehicle cover. But, if you want to protect your FW's, you may want to give them a DF.

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2008, 01:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, I run mech, and I usually prefer to have very little cover. (But then again, the majority of my opponents are either assault oriented or mixed.) Really, the only time I need cover is for deployment, in case I don't get first turn and my opponent is very shooty. I use my Railguns, deepstriking crisis and infiltrating stealth to neutralize anti-tank units, then my Devilfish can roam the board unmolested. 8) I prefer not to have alot of terrain so the assaulty elements can't sneak up on my lines, and so I can use my superior firepower to control the board in any area. A Wraithlord coming up that right flank? No problem! The Crisis suits, Hammerhead and Broadsides all have LOS to take it down.
Lying in a featherbed will bring you no fame, nor staying beneath the quilt, and he who uses up his life without achieving fame leaves no more vestige of himself on Earth than smoke in the air or foam upon the water. ~Dante Alighieri

W L D
Tau 3 1 1
Space Marines 5 0 1
Tyranids 1 0 0
Dark Eldar 2 0 0
Pianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2008, 07:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Cool thanks for the answers!

Another question.

I got a 1449 pts list but I need 200 more. I havent got any more crisis suits. I only have another piranha ( in the box ) a lot of gun drones ( keepin in the style of the jsj crisis suits ) and firewarriors. ( no more fishes )

I know its not very mecha like. But is it smart to fill up the last 200 pts. Or should I just skip mech tau for now and use it when the tournament is 1500 pts like usual?

Best thing would be to fill up with crisis suits for more AP3 fire and tankhunting skills. Its like 200 pts wasted when I fill up right?

Old 05 Mar 2008, 00:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

A squadron of Gun drones and that extra piranha may be useful. However, the foot-slogging fire warriors would just be an isolated, easy target for an opponent. While your 1700pt army may not be at 100% efficiency, it will be far from useless. If nothing else, it'll give you a good learning experience and some ideas of where to go next.
Lying in a featherbed will bring you no fame, nor staying beneath the quilt, and he who uses up his life without achieving fame leaves no more vestige of himself on Earth than smoke in the air or foam upon the water. ~Dante Alighieri

W L D
Tau 3 1 1
Space Marines 5 0 1
Tyranids 1 0 0
Dark Eldar 2 0 0
Pianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2008, 07:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Cool thanks!

It seems I have forgot to actually count the devilfish number 2 so I actually lacked 100 pts. I already added the second piranha ( only need to glue it up ) and some target locks to the hammerheads.