Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pulse Rifles or Pulse Carbine Rifles?
Old 02 Mar 2008, 09:00   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Aussie_matu
Default Pulse Rifles or Pulse Carbine Rifles?

What do you prefer, Pulse carbine rifles or Pulse rifles?, i use 1 carbine in every squad but i prefer Pulse rifles, so what do you think about them?
EDIT by RZ: -snip-
Advertising goes in your sig, not your post, thank you very much.
Aussie_matu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2008, 09:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Re: Pulse Rifles or Pulse Carbine Rifles?

You want to put TWO carbines in every squad. BS of 3 means you hit 50% of the time. To be sure to get your pinning in, you need to be sure you'll hit. So two carbines makes you more likely. Three makes you pretty certain. I often use four. Four carbines, eight rifles. Flexibility.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2008, 09:12   #3 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui

Don't mix & match with the pulse guns. I've found it more effective to have just 1 type of pulse weapon in a squad. I prefer pulse rifle due to their range but carbine FW in a DF are great for FOF.

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2008, 09:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to fat_tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
Don't mix & match with the pulse guns. I've found it more effective to have just 1 type of pulse weapon in a squad. I prefer pulse rifle due to their range but carbine FW in a DF are great for FOF.
Agreed, in one of my FW squads i have 7 with rifles and the other 5 with carbines. I intended that squad to be used for the Fish 'o' fury tactic but i stuffed up :P
fat_tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2008, 09:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

How is it more effective? With a squad full of carbines you will only ever have 12 shots, and any given squad can only be pinned once. It's better to combine them with pulse rifles so you can rapid fire the rifles to do the damage and be sure of hitting with the carbines so you can pin the enemy.

And carbine FW in a DF are RUBBISH for FoF! As I said, you will only have 12 shots and like I said the enemy can only be pinned once. With rifle FW, you'll get 24 shots. With my mix you'll get 20 shots and will most likely pin them. Best of both worlds.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Old 02 Mar 2008, 09:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Censational Che Circus Cegorach
How is it more effective? With a squad full of carbines you will only ever have 12 shots, and any given squad can only be pinned once. It's better to combine them with pulse rifles so you can rapid fire the rifles to do the damage and be sure of hitting with the carbines so you can pin the enemy.

And carbine FW in a DF are RUBBISH for FoF! As I said, you will only have 12 shots and like I said the enemy can only be pinned once. With rifle FW, you'll get 24 shots. With my mix you'll get 20 shots and will most likely pin them. Best of both worlds.
The odds are highly against your claim "will most likely pin them". Pinning is highly improbable against most armies.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2008, 09:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to fat_tree

Unless against another tau army, or a pure grot army (can that happen?)
fat_tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2008, 09:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Quote:

The odds are highly against your claim "will most likely pin them". Pinning is highly improbable against most armies.
Perhaps not, but it will force a pinning check, and no matter how many carbines fire only one pinning check will be forced.

Edit: I don't know why I said "perhaps not" there, it makes me sound like a pompous D'yi, because I know you're actually right. Those T'auk'cka'era, it should be easier to do... I guess the Tau have an easier time of it because of our Markerlights.

You may call me Circus.
Old 02 Mar 2008, 09:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Quote:

Perhaps not, but it will force a pinning check, and no matter how many carbines fire only one pinning check will be forced.

Edit: I don't know why I said "perhaps not" there, it makes me sound like a pompous D'yi, because I know you're actually right. Those T'auk'cka'era, it should be easier to do...
I agree with you, I think they should really re-think how pinning works or something. I really think the Pulse carbines are the best looking guns in GW production right now.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2008, 09:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

You can try and pin a unit several times with different units... perhaps they could make it so that the more pinning weapons fire you get negative modifiers to your leadership? Like if a say four pulse carbines manage to wound (you only pinning check if the weapon inflicts a wound - it doesn't have to be an unsaved wound though) then they get -2 to their pinning check.

You may call me Circus.