Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Stealth Suits vs. Eldar Pathfinders
Old 01 Mar 2008, 08:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Stealth Suits vs. Eldar Pathfinders

Ok, so Tau suck at close combat right? I was considering taking a medium sized unit of stealth suits(probably 3 Burst Cannon, 1 Fusion Blaster) and a number of shield drones. The drones take hits that the suits would normally take, allowing the suits to strike back.

I'm currently looking at Scorpians, Hawks and Dire Avengers as close combat opponents. The Scorpians are the scary thing, and what I direct plasma doom on, I run 2 Plasma Rifle/Fusion Blaster suits, and scorpians are fairly slow in comparison to the Crises. The dire avengers do have that annoying power weapon, so I don't want to tangle with them.

But one of the things that bothers me the most is pathfinders in cover. We play urban battlefields a great deal, so there's often ALOT of buildings spread around. But those annoying psthfinders have a remarkable tendancy to down my suits. So I hug cover.

So I've started thinking of stealth suits as a way to counter the pathfinders, short of a twin-linked flamer and Frag launcher, and I think shield drones might help the stealth suits out on an approach from infiltration to take out the annoying pathfinders. Gives them a good turn to close to combat with guns blasting.

Or should I put a warfish in? I'm gonna have 20-24 firewarriors anyway.
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2008, 10:07   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Stealth Suits vs. Eldar Pathfinders

Markerlights. Best way to get guys out of cover.
Stealth Field might be useless in shorter roads and the like, but the jetpack would probably be a blessing.
A warfish could also help a lot due to a sniper rifle's difficulty taking down armour.
Try them, and if it works continue to use it.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2008, 16:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The only problem with markerlights is that if the Pathfinders are in decent cover, they have a 3+ or 2+ cover save, so it takes ALOT of marker-hits to kill'em off.
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2008, 17:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

The best way to get Pathfinders out of cover?

Tank-shock them. I`m not stupid enough to believe that they`d fail their save, no. But if you park the Fish right on top of them, the have to move out of its way - and into the open. Where they are easy pickings for about everything you can throw at them....

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2008, 17:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

I'd personally say charge into them. They only have one more I and a 5+ save. In addition, they don't have an power weapons...nor even a CCW for +1 attack. Generally, there will be units of 5 or 6 pathfinders.

However, if you want to focus on shooting, then markerlights are the way to go.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2008, 17:51   #6 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui

Markerlights, as its been said before, are your best friend.

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2008, 19:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i play eldar alot to and my friend does seem to love his pathfinders so heres some ways i've thought of dealing with them:

1: Big squad of kroot with kroot hounds just pacing it towards them, The pathfinders will probably manage to kill alot of them, but still having that amount of attacks, on the charge, at their ever so small squad is deadly.
(Note. need to be able to drag away dire avengers (bladestorm) and fire prism (ordnance) from them cause that gets rid of kroot VERY quickly)

2.Have a sniper team opposite them as far away as possible (still being able to shoot and definitely in cover). He will have a very hard time seeing you (VERY hard time :P) and if he moves out of cover he gets nailed cause of small squad size.
(Note. Need to be able to drag the majority of the battle outside of the pathfinders view though, which is quite easy as it will be the eldar running after you)

3. If you have a spare elite choice (probably very unlikely) single shas'vre crisis suit with flamer, airbursting fragmentation projector and multi-tracker and deep strike
Its quite funny seeing his face when you say 'two template weapons that ignore cover saves' ;D
But remember this is, in short, a suicide squad but it does work (well at least on the occasions i don't scatter into terrain when deep striking :P)

4. Have a AFP and/or flamers in a crisis squad and have them move up the board towards them, using terrain ALOT.
(Note. Unfortunately there is always some other eldar squad in the way when trying to pull this one off, mainly my friends wraithguard)

5.Stealth teams have a hard time trying to get them, as their shooting is made pretty ineffective, and being a small squad, in assault they lose alot of the time also as the pathfinders will be in cover.

Hope this helps. and just something else, DON'T waste your markerlight shots on the squad as they can be used to help the rest of your army more effectively and, as already said, you need a hell of alot of them to be effective.
Old 01 Mar 2008, 19:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've found the best way to deal with Pathfinders is the AFP. Try it on a Shas'El, so he can't be targetted as he gets into range. Give him TLMP for the second weapon system and hit the skimmers as he advances.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2008, 22:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmonkeyrtu

3. If you have a spare elite choice (probably very unlikely) single shas'vre crisis suit with flamer, airbursting fragmentation projector and multi-tracker (to improve effectiveness make it a hard-wired multi tracker and add a targeting array to ensure the AFP hits) and deep strike (can just use a flamer, meaning it can be a shas'ui and no need for a TA, if you wish to reduce price)
Its quite funny seeing his face when you say 'two template weapons that ignore cover saves' ;D
But remember this is, in short, a suicide squad but it does work (well at least on the occasions i don't scatter into terrain when deep striking :P)
Ahh, you're forgetting one of the best parts of the AFP: It doesn't rely on Ballistic Skill! It scatters instead of relying on the user to roll to hit (keep in mind that it can only ever scatter up to a single d6. Got to love those little drone AI's). Therefore, a Targetting Array is utterly useless when used in conjunction with it. This also makes it redundant to put onto an HQ suit, as Independent Character status gets less and less useful the closer you get to your enemy. To even make use of his IC status in this case, you'd need another unit of some sort to cover him. That's expensive, especially when just a good old Jetpack will likely save you from most of your pains.

If you're looking for a pyro-AFP suit, I'd look into one of these:
Shas'Vre
-AFP
-TL Flamers
-HW Multi Tracker

He'll cost you a few points, but can be quite fun, especially against, say, infiltrating units who have a shoddy armor save.... now, I wonder who has a shoddy armor save and will likely be infiltrating into cover... hmm....
That being said, here's a cheaper suit that fills essentially the same role, minus the AFP:
Shas'ui
-TL Flamers
-Missile pod

That guy's pretty nice because he can pop off Missile Pod shots at targets while he closes for the kill. MP can be replaced with a Burst Cannon if there probably aren't going to be any vehicles/heavy infantry around. His biggest plus, in my opinion, is that he's absolutely dirt cheep, needing only one good spray of those TL flamers to completely make up his points and more(especially if he's been popping off shots with the MP/BC along the way.)!

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2008, 23:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke

Ahh, you're forgetting one of the best parts of the AFP: It doesn't rely on Ballistic Skill! It scatters instead of relying on the user to roll to hit (keep in mind that it can only ever scatter up to a single d6. Got to love those little drone AI's). Therefore, a Targetting Array is utterly useless when used in conjunction with it.
Ah sorry, was doing it from memory, i'll edit it now.