Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ork Achilles heel?
Old 01 Mar 2008, 08:30   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Ork Achilles heel?

I have been struggling against my ork opponent and I think I may have found a way to beat him pretty solid, run with me on this one.

If you cannot regroup below half strength, would it not be an effective strategy to tank shock his men, blast them below half strength then watch them run away without any chance of coming back?

My worry is this, do Boss Poles allow orks to regroup even if below half strength and if he declares a Waaagh while his men are falling back, would they able to regroup then?

Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01 Mar 2008, 09:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Ork Achilles heel?

watch out for the close-combat hits. A nob can swing his power klaw or big choppa and have a reasonable chance of glancing. Nobs also give them the ability to re-roll morale(if equipped properly). A decent sized mob(say 16 strong) can give up a sacrifical ork or two a turn, and if you're not careful about your movement when tank shocking(i.e. escape a move and assault), the Nob can swing his power fist.

IT depends on your opponent. If he risks the Nob's attacks on Death or Glory, he may lose him. On the otherhand, if he passes the morale test(re-roll?), he can assault your vehicle the turn after you tank shock. Clever use of terrain may help you(say difficult with a low cover save) avoid an assault, but odds are the Orks arn't bailing any time soon. You need to kill'em down to 7 or so to get'em out of there.

But no, bosspoles don't allow orks to rally at less than 50%, and the Waaagh doesn't give them any ability to regroup.

Just, do watch out for those power claws and 'uge choppas. They can ding up a transport. Now, if the orks don't have a nob toting a big weapon of hurt, then go ahead and tank shock away.

Keep in mind that orks are effectively fearless above a certian size(effectively as in Fearless special rule) and wont be pinned or fail to rally. Plenty of Ork mobs(like the big 30 models mobs) can maintain fearless for a long time after they are below half strength.

Tank shocking can kill like one ork a turn, per unit you tank shock with. But again, it depends. What does your opponent use against you?
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2008, 09:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

Mind you this is coming from an Ork. but I don't think this would really work. You'd have to get the unit down to at least ten models before the first Leadership check is even rolled, seeing as we've got our beautiful mob rule. Above ten models and we're Fearless.

I highly doubt that any Ork is going to let you tank shock him that much. I'm sure you'll hit a buried Power Klaw first.

As for Waagh's overiding broken units, the codex doesn't have any answers in it so I'm not sure. We'll probably have to wait for the FAQ to come out.

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2008, 14:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Ducky
Mind you this is coming from an Ork. but I don't think this would really work. You'd have to get the unit down to at least ten models before the first Leadership check is even rolled, seeing as we've got our beautiful mob rule. Above ten models and we're Fearless.

I highly doubt that any Ork is going to let you tank shock him that much. I'm sure you'll hit a buried Power Klaw first. -Grandpa Ducky
I agree with GP on this. Usually, footslogging Ork Units are 20+ Lads strong, and if you have decimated this unit to a size where it actually can fail its Ld tests (usually around 6-8 Boys), you can easily kill it outright...

Quote:
As for Waagh's overiding broken units, the codex doesn't have any answers in it so I'm not sure. We'll probably have to wait for the FAQ to come out.
There`s nothing to suggest this; I`ve just looked the "Waaagh!"-Rule up, and all I could found was the additional Fleet-movement. So, no, apparently broken units don`t regroup after Waaagh!ing.

As regards anti-Greenskin tactics: I`ve recently had my first game against Orks, and if you want one surefire way to hold a green tide, it`s a Skimmer wall. I managed to fend off a complete Ork Horde with it for two turns - enough time to decimate the giant Warbike unit and two footslogging mobs.

Of course, there were no Lootas or Tankbustaz around, so it mainly depends on the type of Ork Horde you`re facing...

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2008, 14:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

umm... why not equip the tanks with flechette dischargers? and why not use a warfish? that has the potential to remove a bit more than " one or two sacrificial orks."
Generally the archetype within fantasy and sci-fi is that if a character looks good, then he/she is good, if they're ugly then they're probably evil. (I'm looking at YOU TOLKIEN!!)
Radio-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2008, 16:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

It won't kill the nob before he swings his fist three or four times. Or save you from the Rokkits. Considering 12 boyz with power klawed nob costs like...70pts, compared to the 95 for Flechette/decoy equip 'fish, you're looking at a dicey points trade off.

I just don't know how you can tank shock an Orky horde down. Devilfish and hammerheads/skyrays are the only vehicles that can tankshock for Tau, and they don't have a good benefit/risk pay-off.

That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
Old 01 Mar 2008, 16:57   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

As an Ork player mostly, I can't wait for some Fish 'Ead to tank-shokk me! You would be handing us an automatic hit because of death-and-glory. This would be great as skimmers are usualy hard to with Orks! I had a Tau player tank shokk a small 9 man Tankbusta (!) squad and he got wasted. I death-and-glory Tankhammered him! Auto Strength 10 hit.... priceless. Most Ork units have something to take down tanks so go ahead. The player that tank-shokked me with Tau was not the sharpest choppa in the armoury.
Old 01 Mar 2008, 21:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Heres the thing, my opponent rarely uses mobs over 12 boyz, because every squad has a trukk, that is why I wanted to tank shock them, because a Hammerhead can waste 7 boys easy with railgun submunition and burst cannons. The only group he has over 12 is his shoota boyz which suck at shooting and rarely hit, much less kill anything so I usually ignore them.

His army is pretty much a kult of speed. I wish he would play a foot slogg'in army, I have all the counters for that, but like I said, his army is fast with small mobs. So would tank shocking be effective against these small groups of orks?
Old 01 Mar 2008, 21:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Does he have Nobz with powerfists?
Old 02 Mar 2008, 01:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeah, he does have nobs with claws but I have yet to see them take out one of my vehicles. A strength 8 hit is tough to get through a 13 frontal armor. Not to mention he has to roll a 6 to hit if I moved a good ways to get to him.