at the end of the Democals crusade, the XV10 series(not the '10' is

togetther, not representing the lightest class of armour). These were

scaled up versions of the XV8 suits, the earth caste took their cues from

the titans of other races, but the lumbering behemoths were not suitable

for tau warfare, they needed mobility.
Unable to fully replicatethe agility of eldar machines the tau used their

own technology, powerful engines were put in to utilise the advanced

stabilisation systems, large orbital drives were fitted to allow it to drop

from orbit(useful as it is usually unsupported from the air)
Though many cadres prefer air support, the final product, the XV108 is

available in limited numbers.

I intend this for apocalypse games not regular encounters, i reckon it will cost 1,000 points, ill get a datasheet and some sketches,

Obsidian

Split to a new thread. The other one was a little old. - Khanaris
obsidian_k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2008, 15:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to YakmastermaxIG
Default Re: The Need for a Tau Titan

i believe that i have actualy seen an XV108, maybe thats were you go the idea from, it was modeled by some one, took up like 2 paranas and 2 devil fish to make and a bunch of hammerhead bits. i cna see why many people like the idea, but it seems to contrasting for tau to take and use military ideas/technology from inferior races. the idea of a "titan" if you think about it is relaly kind of a egotistical human thing... not somthing tau would do. plus if thier is already evidnce of tau battlesuit pilots experinece power hunger psycosis, and independiality (cough couch, o shovah cough cough) imagine the effect of a tau commanding somthing like a titan...
"Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

"due to my retardivity" - myself

"never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to thier level, and beat you with experience"
YakmastermaxIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2008, 18:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

i personally prefer the fact that Tau use their aircraft in a similar role as other races use their Titans. In my mind the idea of them swooping in and then laying down some serious ownage and then high tailing it outta there really fits my impression of how they operate in war ( crisis suits in assault phase as an example, move shoot hide ). So to me as much as a Tau titan might be cool it just does not suit them as a race.
The iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you?re a god or a total bastard. The iron will always kick you the real deal. The iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But, two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.
Joey Goldcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2008, 00:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Gatler Send a message via MSN to Gatler

What need? We have all the firepower we need in our gunships and high-altitude aircraft. :huh:

"Forgive you? Of course I forgive you. That is your god's function. Your crime is forgiven. However, your stupidity requires a response." - Leto Atreides II, God Emperor of Dune
Gatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2008, 00:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

[rant]

In all actuality the Tau have no need for a Titan in any way, shape, or form. A Titan of any kind takes a lot of resources to field and maintain, as well as being not all too fast and a huge target.

On the other hand the Tau Manta Missile Destroyer is capable of the Tau warp dives for travel, carries an entire Hunter Cadre into battle, and is mounted with a hefty array of armaments. A few Mantas are capable of dealing with full Battle Titans and are much more versatile and capable of rapid deployment and transport, the Manta needs few resources to put into the field and carries troops with it, what more could you ask for?

Really I'm personally sick of people wanting a Tau Titan, it just doesn't make sense, it just does not fit with the way of Tau warfare, rapid mobility and tactical deployment, along with versatility and a synchronized chain of command with tactical integration of all units. A Titan on the other hand is slow and cumbersome and not all that useful for the mobile warfare of the Tau, and Tau technology is just not enough to create something of the size of a Titan and still match the mobility they need, like in Eldar creations.

The Tau just do NOT NEED a Titan... end of story, but people keep wanting one... I don't get it.

[/rant]

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2008, 01:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Well...who doesn't like titans. :P

Honestly I don't get it, either. I don't know when I'd ever have the disposable income to buy one, but I'd like a warhound one day...if I had a gaurd army. I picked Tau and I realize they don't do that kind of thing, I don't really have a problem with it (nor do I have a problem with people who do want a Tau titan).

But most of these people asking for one are Gundam fans, and a lot of them just take a Gundam kit and cover it with Tau bits at that. A lot of people complain about Tau not fitting in the universe anyway, and would probably jump for joy if GW listened to them and dropped the codex (leaving me with hundreds of dollars and countless hours wasted in the process). Seeing Gundam kits on the table will just fuel their hate and make them look justified. I can stand the anime/manga influence, but giant battlesuit titans are going way too far. I don't want my Tau to be yet another generic Gundam ripoff.

Jutami's titan is rather well made, and I still want to see the thing fully painted (I don't remember the last time I saw him around), but the fluff just doesn't support it at all. Battlesuits are one thing, they may still be a sci-fi fantasy but at least in the game they're justifiable as a highly mobile heavy weapons platform. A titan simply isn't needed and would be HIGHLY impractical, calling for more resources than it's worth and being an all around Ta'uk'me to transport and use, and it would still be inferior to the competition anyway (I can't imagine a Tau titan standing a chance against an Eldar titan, railguns may be good but not that good).

Manta's are supposedly capable of destroying a warhound titan every round, and every cadre has at least one, and probably with tigershark support (not to mention the tigershark is cheaper than a warhound and you're more likely to be capable of fielding one). All the titan-killing power you need on a highly mobile platform.
But it doesn't look like a giant battlesuit...

Not to mention I don't buy a lot of the fluff written to explain them. It's usually the same thing, "The Tau found themselves in a tight spot without sufficient resources to combat the threat (usually Imperial titans), so they built a giant robot overnight out of nothing and threw it at the enemy with outstanding success, and now Commander Whatshisname uses giant robots in every engagement henceforth." :-\

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2008, 01:20   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

And if i remember rightly Flyers can not be destroyed by vortex Weapons (i think...) you can't get in combat with Flyers so Tyranid army with loads of 'Stealers it pointless.
While A titan can be Hit by a Vortex weapon And be Engaged in combat (a T'au titan would be pointless just a Shas'el for make it fair as it should be)
Agreed; the Dark Kin get Dark Matter cannons, whereas those limp-wristed Craftworlders presumably power their Bright Lance, and all their weapons, through homosexual lusting. How else do you explain the Vibrocannon looking (and functioning) like some giant space-dildo? >
i dunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2008, 01:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

...err...huh? Are you saying the Shas'el is pointless?

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2008, 03:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

people want an excuse to put the biggest railgun they can find on it.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2008, 07:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

But Mantas have railguns on that are designed to blow up spaceships. Does it come much bigger?

These people are probably overcompensating...
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote