Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How do marines beat Tau?
Old 29 Feb 2008, 15:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Commissar_Will
Default How do marines beat Tau?

I would greatly appreciate any help on this matter. I play Ultramarines, and my IG army still isn't up to strength, so I have to use the marines in all battles. Both my friends who play 40k play Tau. And when it comes to Tau, my win record is quite poor - ie non existant. I just can't find any weaknesses to exploit! If I footslog to their lines I get shot to bits, if I use transports to get to their lines I still get shot to bits, and if I try to win a shooting war with them...let's no even go there. : Even a drop-podding Libby with FotD, one of the cheesiest things that SMurfs can unleash, is next to useless thanks to those bonding knives. I'm not saying Tau are broken - I'm sure they have their weaknesses just like any other race, but I just can't find them or get anywhere near close enough to exploit their terrible CC skills. I need your help!

BTW, my most regular opponent fields 2 FW squads, a big mob of Kroot warriors with no special units, a Vespid squad, a rail/ion head (he changes it), 6 crisis suits (3 fireknives, 1 BC+flamer, 1 sunforge, and 1 Shas'O Ry'myr that counts as a normal commander), a squad of pathfinders with a Devilfish (I HATE those markerlights!!!!) and a stealth team.

My Space Marine project log
Commissar_Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 16:00   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: How do marines beat Tau?

Well the obvious weakness I'm sure everyone will tell you is to get into CC with them. After that it's a cakewalk. But it's getting there that hurts you.

So onto the advice.

#1) Use speed & cover to your advantage. Take bike squads, take land speeders, take transports. Yeah they get shot up, but SMs have their 3+ save which helps if the transport or bikes get shot at. Your land speeders are Fast Skimmers and as such will only ever get glancing hits if they move 6"+ during their turn. If you turbo boost your bikes and land speeders first turn, yeah they can't shoot, but that practically puts you in their deployment zone right away, giving you very good odds that you can assault or use melta weapons the following turn.

#2) I know I said cover in point #1, but use as much cover as you can! When you have to run in the open, trust your armor save to hold you through.

#3) Use your heavys to shoot his heavys. If his Rail or Ion head don't move you can pen it, if not you can glance it, which is just as good sometimes.

Granted all of my points are easier said then done, and of course theres the dice gods to worry about as well. Also keep in mind terrain plays a big part in how a battle goes. Best advise, make use of cover, shoot at what hurts you the most, cripple his movement, and get into CC as soon as you can. After that, watch his shooting phase fall apart.

Hope that helps, and I hope my fellow Tau players don't hate me too much for helping you out
Lord Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 16:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

They dont! >

Peace is the reason for war, as to achive peace there must be war.

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig.
Brother_captin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 16:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would hate bikers, but since I have a track record of close combat tau, bikers in less then three squads dont really peeve me, three however is a pain in the butt.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 16:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Take verteran and assualt squads and use ways to get them into CC in a hurry. rhinos with upgrades to keep them moving and landraiders and jumppacks come to mind. Terminators deep striking once the XV8s start moving ahead should land on vulnerable defence lines in the rear. Tactical squads should match fire for fire with lazcannons for hovertanks, and heavy plasma for pasting firewarriors. Marines benafit from high leadership and dependable base stats to find targets and blast em.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 17:16   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

So I play both Tau and Marines.

A lot of people are afraid of Tau Range. In 1500 point Games I have two Devastator Squads, one with Missile launcher (48) and the other with Heavy Bolters (36). These two units sit out of Range from the Firewarriors and cause lots of damage. Your concerns will be the Rail Gun's and Missale Pods because they will be in range of most units on the board and they match or exceed your range.

The rest of the your Army should engage in CC ASAP And that has been covered - and I use Rhinos to Flank or Block Assault Troops as they cover ground toward the Tau with mixed success. However I still have my Devastators blowing the :-X out of everything else.

No Aun'shi, we will not be naming our new Sept the "Masters of Disaster" in honor of the Space Marines!

Only the dead have seen the end of war.
dr.who79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 18:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hm, I regularly play Marines, and the "best" armies against Tau (i.e. the ones I regularly lose against) field loads of Tac squads with Heavy/special weapons - especially the new Dark/Blood Angels can seriously lay the hurt on Tau - one Half-squad with a Missile Launcher/Lascannon, the other mobile with a Plasmagun.

Deepstriking Termies are also a good idea, though be careful WHERE you place them - not in the middle of the Tau line would be a good start! They have been used with tremendous success against me in flanking assaults - they can be used to pen in a Tau army, since the Assault Cannon can really hurt everything a Tau army can possibly field (it has even taken down tanks...).

Make sure to be out of striking range of Plasma Rifles, and they should be fine. If pulled off correctly, only a couple of Tau units should be able to respond properly immediately, and you can take your turn and finish off the Crisis Suits and so on.

Limiting the mobility and places to run is very effective against Tau - that`s the main tactic with Deep Striking Termies imo.

Oh, and Drop Pods. Use them to block LoS - that`s REALLY annoying!

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 18:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Deepstriking Termies are also a good idea, though be careful WHERE you place them - not in the middle of the Tau line would be a good start! They have been used with tremendous success against me in flanking assaults - they can be used to pen in a Tau army, since the Assault Cannon can really hurt everything a Tau army can possibly field (it has even taken down tanks...).
Yes, terminators are excellent, and max out fast attack, maybe 20 assault marines and some land speeder tornadoes (assault cannons). Personally, I would limit heavy support to Devestators, you can't beat railguns short of Apocalypse with vehicles, so any vehicles could be targeted and become a waste of points. You could drop dreads in and assault marines with meltabombs to deal with armor. Mechanize most Tac squads and take advantage of cover and Obscured target, then get out and CHARGE!!! FOR EMPEROR AND IMPERIUM!!!

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 19:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

transport vehicles to get across the field v tau is not a good idea. unless you use them as a moving wall instead of transports.

0th turns - your transports are advancing, but behind covers that let u get closer w/o exposing urself.

1st turn out in the open, move and popsmoke... this should keep the majority of your transports alive - you've got 2 -3 right?

2nd turn out, move into 12, unload your peeps behind the transports and hope at least some of the transports make it.

3rd turn out - charge.

this works especially well if you can have some jumpers or bikers to simultaneously threaten on turns 1 and 2.

multiple jumper and biker units in themselves are also quite good apart from the rhino wall.

drop boo should not be seriously hampered by bonding knife... they only allow you to ignore the above half requirement to regroup. drop boo should still make taus run... and if they're in 7" of board edge, they should mostly die.

deep striking termies are fish bait for PR/FB suits, esp if they get mklight support.

land raiders are a no-go because of the leet rails and piranhas that can surround the tank, kill it, and everyone inside it all in one go.

2 vindicators are v nice - esp with spirit of machine.

finally - tau really really hates whirlwinds.
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 20:52   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
finally - tau really really hates whirlwinds.
I have to ask ... whats a Whirlwind?

I hear they just eat Tau for breakfast and then ask for 2nds! But what are they ... just so I know what to avoid and shoot at
Lord Roke is offline   Reply With Quote