Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How to kill a carnifex???
Old 29 Feb 2008, 16:03   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default How to kill a carnifex???

hey I'm having trouble killing one of my opponents carnifex it's toughness 7 with 5 wounds and a 2+ save!!!

plasma weapons and rail rifles are a 5 to wound and the only other option is rail cannons (but you only get 1 shot a turn with them added to which broadsides are too slow to use against the tyranids) and fusionblasters (which puts me in charge range of those gaunts)

any other suggestions?
theherooftimesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 16:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: How to kill a carnifex???

Place your drink or dice near the Carny, then move around the table to measure something. Reach for the item, and "accidently" knock it off the table and shatter it.

If he cant field the miniature, its not valid.

Ok but seriously, some canifexes have so many points tied up into them that its rediculous. Even on a good day most armies have issues killing one. The problem too is that if you focus everything on it, youre ignoring the rest of the nasties headed for you.

Youre a highly mobile army as a Tau. Play keep-away with the carnifex, and try killing everything else to still win by points, or table quarters or whatever the victory conditions are. If theres huge points tied up in a juggernaught carny, then there wont be much other points dedicated to the rest of his roster. Just blow it all away, and dont let the carny get in charge range, or sacrifice drones to slow it down.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 16:50   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I played a 1000 pt tourney last weekend and had to face a Nid player with a Carnifex. It was a Cleanse mission so we were fighting for table quarters. During the movement phases, for whatever reason we both moved our mobile models counter-clockwise, with his Carnifex trying to cross the hill in the middle of the table. This slowed him down enough for my XV8 Fireknives and Broadside Monats to take shots at it, with minimum return fire. By my shooting phase in turn 3, after taking concentrated fire from 3 Fireknives and 2 Broadsides, his Carny and Xenothrope lay wasted and dead, among other things of course :P.

I say stay far away and concentrate AP2 or AP1 fire when you can spare it. But that's just me
Lord Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 17:28   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

cyclic ion blaster would be applicable, but the tendency of people to make these bastards t7 makes it impossible to consider.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 17:32   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

thanks for all the responses so far, it seems all of you have equal trouble with these stupid creations ;D
Old 29 Feb 2008, 18:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

You might want to consider tying it up in HTH with kroot. A full squad of kroot and hounds might be the answer.

Although when I got my Kroot in HTH they usually bugged out the next turn; then again I was running a minimum squad.

"Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders.”
Rogal Dorn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 19:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.Angus
Youre a highly mobile army as a Tau. Play keep-away with the carnifex, and try killing everything else to still win by points, or table quarters or whatever the victory conditions are. If theres huge points tied up in a juggernaught carny, then there wont be much other points dedicated to the rest of his roster. Just blow it all away, and dont let the carny get in charge range, or sacrifice drones to slow it down.
I doubt that any Tau player complains about CC-Fexes. The problem are SHOOTY Fex - honestly, they can ruin your day!

Vehicles are near useless against them (one Railgun on a Hammerhead? Come on!), since their return fire is just too dangerous. You can`t outrun them, since the 36" range is not to be trifled with.

The only answer to this are stationary Broadsides; though they suffer immensely as soon as the Flyrant and a horde of 20+ Hormagaunts decides to gate-crash your little party...

Your best bet is a combination of Broadsides and Crisis (PR, FB) - the Broadsides deal with the shooty things, the Crisis kill everything that gets too close (A Skyray or a flight of Tetras might be advisable to increase their accuracy...).

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2008, 00:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

An expensive carnifex can be really hard to take down, but they're not that dangerous so they can be ignored in favor of faster units. A close-combat carnifex can be outmaneuvered by a mobile force like tau; just stay away from him. Shooty ones are trickier, but the delaying kroot squad works pretty well. Even a full-size squad is likely to be less than half the point cost of that monster, and it will take him a LONG time to kill them all. The other option is just to pelt it with railguns, of course. A full squad of broadsides will likely kill it in two turns if you can spare the fire, and the only higher-priority targets are going to be tough synapse creatures like zoanthropes or hive tyrants.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2008, 01:08   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

shooty fexes aren't That big a deal, venom cannons can only get glancing hits!

Tau are manoeuvrable but not THAT maneuverable (they don't even compare to my old eldar army) i just can' t find a way to avoid 3 broods of 16 hormagaunts (my opponent has an uncanny ability of rolling 5's and 6's for every fleet roll :-[ ) and by the time my army gets out of CC it's either dead or i haven't got enough firepower to bear.

It really sucks as I've mopped the floor against his space marines, and another mates imperial guard on 80-90% of the battles we've had.
Old 01 Mar 2008, 01:17   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsi
cyclic ion blaster would be applicable, but the tendency of people to make these T'auk'cka'era t7 makes it impossible to consider.
Uh dude you can't wound a t7 creature with a flashlight strength gun

No One Expects The Inquisition This Early.
Starting Space Wolves and =][=
Kruse Va is offline   Reply With Quote