Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New to tau aircraft
Old 29 Feb 2008, 05:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default New to tau aircraft

Recently some of my friends decided to spend a little money and bulk up their armies to be more apocalypse appropriate. I have not played an apocalypse game yet, nor do I know the rules, but have heard that apocalypse is better when bigger. I figure if I like it, I might as well buy some of the bigger models, which means, in the Tau's case, aircraft.

I have no idea what is worth buying or why, I simply know its not cheap, so I would prefer to get it right the first time and not waist money on models I would only use once or twice. I would like to hear from some of you who have played with tau aircraft in the past about what is good to start off with, what is a must have, and what's a good final selection to aim for. I already know I will not be getting a manta due to the cost, but an orca may not be out of my price range in the future.

I was thinking about starting off, after a few games, with a couple of remora drones or a barracuda. Would that be a good place to start or are the remoras just as easily replaced with stealth teams, and the barracuda about the same as a hammerhead?

cruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 06:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: New to tau aircraft

You'll need the rules, and from there just pick something that you like. Don't let other peoples opinions stop you from having something you love being the centrepeice of your army.
I hear the Tigershark AX-1-0 and Barracuda(IA:3 Version)are good.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 08:15   #3 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui

Yeah, I've heard the same. Someone said the manta has enough firepower to take down a warhound titan (don't know it's real name, except it's the titan that scouts ahead for other titans) each turn .

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 08:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah, but a Manta is out of reach for most players.... :

I have a Barracuda myself; and it got christened in an Apocalypse game a couple of weeks ago.

Their Apocalypse rules are slightly worse than their IA:3 rules, but this really shouldn`t you keep from fielding one - coupled with Markers and Seekers, it can easily get BS5, AND shoot Seekers into the side armour of enemy vehicles.
Weapons-wise, it is actually BETTER than a Hammerhead, though its BS is not as good - as already said, Markers do wonders here.

Using a duo of Remoras might offset this issue, though, and the special Markerlights gained through the Interdiction Force are great, as well.

The main advantage of flyers over Hammerheads/Stealths is their mobility - you need some firepower on the other side of the table? Just send in the flyers!
Furthermore, denying shots works great thanks to their "Flyer rules", making it extremely difficult for short-ranged weapons to shoot them down.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 09:01   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Barracuda are amazing aircraft, I love mine. Its much better with the proper rules for it, but if your gaming group are retards and force you to use the Apoc crap, then simply use markers to make things right.

Its best use, IMO, is against light tanks, and side armours - what with 5 S7 shots, its gonna cause some pain to anything armour 12 or under.

Remora's as well can be just nasty, thanks to the stealth field, and the AX-10 is a god in the sky. Your opponent will stop using his Baneblades if you field an AX-10, as it will make mincemeat out of them.

I reccomend the Cuda, as its got multiple uses, is only moderatly expensive, and is a damn tasty model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 09:15   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

The Tigershark AX-1-0 is God off the Sky (sort off), just need to get mine painted ^^

The Manta is a waste of points imho, as its more of a super transport than an actual megaweapon. If you want firepower, take several AX-1-0's. A single one is fairly capable of downing a Warhound on his own given a few turns. Imagine 3 or 4 on the battlefield ^^

As for the Cuda. I do believe the missing targetting array is an oversight and everyone in my group thinks that as well. So no loss for me if I'd choose to buy one.
scorpioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 09:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Also new to aircraft... can someone explain what a Tetra is? I've seen the models but I'm honestly just like WTF is that for? Is it for modelling pure fluff?
Old 29 Feb 2008, 09:27   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioni
As for the Cuda. I do believe the missing targetting array is an oversight and everyone in my group thinks that as well. So no loss for me if I'd choose to buy one.
Hate to say it - its not an oversight. Its damn crappy rules writing, but it isn't a mistake in the "I forgot a line" mistake.

Anyone with an ounce of good sportsmanship will let you use the IA rules. Or drop it by about 30 points to make it worth it. FW models are overpointed to begin with - the price you pay for having FW. But to go an nerf half the capabilities, and still charge the same points? Moronic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behdini
can someone explain what a Tetra is? I've seen the models but I'm honestly just like WTF is that for? Is it for modelling pure fluff?
Tetra isn't an aircraft. Its a light scout speeder, crewed by pathfinders to provide mobile markerlight support. They are one of the most effective ways at getting mobile markerlights into your army, and are worth their weight in gold. I have 4 of them, they truly are amazing units.

Quote:
Old 29 Feb 2008, 15:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
Tetra isn't an aircraft. Its a light scout speeder, crewed by pathfinders to provide mobile markerlight support. They are one of the most effective ways at getting mobile markerlights into your army, and are worth their weight in gold. I have 4 of them, they truly are amazing units.
Hunh. FW rules? Codex says Pathfinders must choose Devilfish troop carrier... 4-8 with Devilfish is one unit of Fast Attack (one can be Shas'ui upgrade, of course).
Old 29 Feb 2008, 15:08   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Sorry, FW= ForgeWorld. Tetra's are crewed by pathfinders, but its not taken as an upgrade, but a completely different unit.

Quote: