Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Yak's Tau Army (PICTURES!)
Old 29 Feb 2008, 01:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to YakmastermaxIG
Default Yak's Tau Army (PICTURES!)

Hey, So i just started my tau army, so far its assembled and basecoated except for 1 broadside. the 2000 point list, is a min-max 12 fire warriors, and 21 battle suits: 6 broadsides, 9 elite choice XV8's and 6 HQ XV8's

the formal list will be posted on this topic, and slowly this thread will eventualy materialize into a full fledged entry on my army with pictures, battle reports, and new projects involving my tau. currently i am completing the base coating ;D

current sceme is white armour, shadow grey fatigues, with approximate 4 layer highlight, no inks, no metalics
looking for a clean looking elite, 21 suit army:

just started the army, first game is tomorow, tonight is the breaking in of a brand new army transport case, that sadly came with the wrong foam :'(
but i will deal just fine, and any veteran suit commanders having suggestions should totaly reply with awesome tips to help expand the tau empire!

(edit, march 1, 2008)

(1st BATTLE, BLOOD ANGELS SUCCSESORS CHAPTER, 2000 PTS)

last night i had my first battle with my army was played agianst a freinds blood angels succesors chapter. very close combat oriented, 2 assualt squads of five men and 10, the 10 with a chaplain in it, a venereble dread, 5 scouts, 2 squads of 5 heavy bolter devastators, 20 bolt pistol, and chainsword close combat marines, and then a librarian with a retinue fo some marine sort that i dont really know.

we were playing on a 4X4, 2000 pts, with 5 wooden terrain features. we played seek and destroy alpha. i got first turn, and used markerlights (2) to hit up the devastator squads as they were the only thing i vould see. 6 broadside shots, and 2 plasma, 2 missle pod shots were fired that turn at the devastator squad, i wiped 1 squad out, and killed one of the other marines. it was an odd turn as i didnt have many targets, and i forgot to move over 9 suits, aswell didnt not make any post shooting phase assult jumps with the suits, even worse, my attemt to move into the woods turing the shoot phase really went wrong, as that squad i did remeber to jump back during the assualt phase, but i miscalculated and they had to take a dangerouse terrain test, and 1 dude died.

next turn the # of targets nearly tripled, as almost all the units, exept the main HQ squad with the librarian in it. i took out the dread with 1 broadside, becuase i have 3 squads of 2, and 1 broadside in each squad has a targetlock so essentialy i have 6 seperate broadsides. long story short, they got a 2 turn assualt, and thus on the small 4X4 he just massacred throuhg my flank, i wiped out the 10 man assualt squad but the independatn chaplaion made it in to combat with a hq choice of XV8's, he took out 5 shield drones before falling to the commander and his body gaurd, this made me smile, but then the small 5 man assualt marine squad jumped them and complelty wrecked them without the sheild drones. after that wreckeage they massacred into the 2 broadsides nearby, and the small space marine scout squad took out 1 of my 6 man fire warrior squad. i was able to take out 13 marines on the right flank, but they reamainign seven got into combat and tied up 6 suits untill the main HQ unit with the librarian arrived. it was downhill from here. game ended with 2 units of 2 suits backed into the corner, no shiled drones left, and about 600 points of close combt HQ marine unit bearing down on nthem 8 inches away.

the game was a definite loss for me but not a slaughter, it was however unquestionable..

i hope the next game (hopefully the shop isnt 2 crowded, so i will play 2 day) with fare better...

(EDIT MARCH 4TH, 2008)

(2nd BATTLE, SPACE MARINES, 1500 PTS)

i have not gotten a chance to right up my battles that happend on saturday and its alreayd tuesday!

any ways i did get some games, i actualy got 2.

the first game was a tie and the second one was a complete win for me. first game was a 1500 point secure and control with 4 little objective marker things. my opponent was playing a space marines army: 5 termies, 20 tacticals, 20 scouts, 5 devastators, 5 veterans, 1 land raider, 1 rhino, and of course the standard HQ unit in the termie and veteran squad. i got first turn and popped both the land raider and rhino with my broadsides. then did a little jsj and got like 1 devastator and whiped out 10 scouts. his turn he tried to edge up the remaining scout but kept the marines and the vets well behind cover. i guese he figured to play defensivly now taht his vehicles were gone. now i thought was a good time to deepstrike my researved 2 XV8s to pepper the 20 hiding marines as they were totaly and uterly like 2 inches from the back board edge behind 3 peices of terrain. the deepstrike went well, but the shots only killed like 3 marines. i did JSJ and killed 1 more devastator, and 5 marines. his next turn he really turtled up. he deepstriked his five terminators whithin his own deployment zone to counter my 2 XV8s that were confronting the 18 marines. i still dont understand this as the 18 marines could hav easily taken care of 2 XV8's that only had 2 shield drones total. so the terminators and the marines shot: (note i am confused as he moved his marines and they were like 3 inches away, he then claimed to fire non rapid fire single shot, then assualted them in that assualt phase, im pretty sure tahts not right.....) the terminators then assualted the suits along with the 18 marines. the suits killed 1 marine before dieing. then we wasted 2 turns with him putting the 17 marines back in cover, and me JSJ ing the terminators till there was one left. now it was like bottom of 5th and i made a sudden rush towards the counters. the 3 suits with 2 shield drones left headed to the left counter, and managed to make the remaing devastators fall back behind the cover. this was good as it ensured that the remaingin turns they would not be able to fire on my uncoverd suits that were tyring to contest 1 out of the 4 objectives. the other 2 were well withing 15 inches of my board edge but the 4th was behind cover in his deployment zone and the 17 marines were gaurding it from who knows what. i moved a small squad of 6 fired warriors the take one objective and 2 broadsides to take the other as they were closest and there would be no other turn and there were also no tagets to shoot at. now his turn he jumped the suits that tried to move up and take the left coutner, and contested that counter as he could not wipe them out. all of a sudden that last surviving terminator strafes the 6 fire warriors killing 4 and sending them fleeing. it ended in a ti and 1 marker was contested, 1 i owned with the broadsides, and the other he owned with the 17 marines, and the one that the fire warriors had was not controled by anyone.

it was an odd game as the player i played is known to be a power player around the shop and so i expected A) to be completly whoopped and B) a little better sportsmanship. hes like 35 and after the game i said good game and as he was shaking my hand he said not really, all that and just a tie... i gueese all he cared about was a win...

( 3rd GAME, DARK ANGLES, 2000 PTS)

my second game that day was 2000 pts agaisnt a dark angles army player. it was an easy victory but i do credit him on having a very balanced list. 25 marines, 1 dread, 1 predator, 1 vindicator, 5 scouts, 8 bikes, 1 land speeder, 5 terminators, and that 1 marine guy on the fancy flying bike...the ravenwing master or somthing like that.

any way: overview: i broadsided about 3/4 of the vehicle first turn to destruction, and JSJ and wiped out the 8 bikes and the ravenwing master guy.

he assualted my main hq squad with 5 terminators, i killed 3 before they got into combat. then we grinded it out for 3 turns as he killed shield drones and i killed the last terminator and did 1 wound of the terminator chaplain. i was down to no drones and only 2 completly wound free suits when i hit 7 out of 8 attacks, wounded 6 out of 7, and he fialed 2 armour saves. it was very lucky on my part killing 2 terminators, but would not have matterd much if they had lost as i had repositioned my forces so taht as soon as the combat was over, even after consolidation, i would wipe them out in shooting. over the courese of the game through JSJ i made his sniping scouts fall back and ( yay missle pods!!) whittled down the marines squads to less then effective levels. we called it at the end of my turn bottom of 3rd.
"Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

"due to my retardivity" - myself

"never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to thier level, and beat you with experience"
YakmastermaxIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 03:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Yak's Tau Army

Well, it's hard to advise without actually seeing your list, but you seem to be going with more suits than vehicles. Knowing that, remember that crisis and stealth suits jump in and out of cover so they can't be shot at, so keep them near some handy terrain. Broadsides are not that mobile, they're expensive, and they're feared; so expect your opponent to sick either a sacrificial close combat squad (gaunts, scarabs) on them to tie them up, or a heavier power-weapon squad (harlequins, genestealers, bloodletters) to take them out so they can't shoot. Without an assault-capable force of your own like kroot or vespid to counter that you're not going to be shooting much with the broadsides.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 07:13   #3 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui

Since you have so many suits, watch out for any S8 AP3 weaponry as they will Instakill your suits.

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2008, 14:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

ok, thnx, i think il do osme tweaking.
"Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

"never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to thier level, and beat you with experience"
Old 04 Mar 2008, 09:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Yak's Tau Army (edited!)

BASIC ARMY LIST: 2000pts exactly!

2 shas o commanders, with 2 body guards each. all 6 models have 2 shield drones each, with the mix, of 2 burts cannons, 2 missle pods, 2 plasma rifles per 3 suits configured so that there are no twin linked weapons. all models have targeting arrays, and multi trackers

3 elite choices of 3 suits each.
the leaders of the 3 squads all have 2 drones each and the same upgrades and the bodyguards and the comanders.
the normal XV8 suits that make up the squads all have multi trackers and the weapons configuration i stated above per three suits so that no suit has a twin linked weapon.

2 fire warrior squads of 6 men each, each squad has a team leader with a target lock and a markerlight

3 squads of 2 broadsides each, 1 broadside per all 3 teams has a target lock.

suggestions are totaly appreciated to the max man...

Old 04 Mar 2008, 20:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

some pictures will be posted tonight ;D

Old 04 Mar 2008, 20:50   #7 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui

I would say don't double post, but you triple posted :P. Use the modify button in these cases.

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2008, 21:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

alright

Old 12 Mar 2008, 00:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yay, pictures!

Old 12 Mar 2008, 04:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Yak's Tau Army (PICTURES!)

I like the Broadsides. Hope to see pictures once the army is painted.
ct_drummer_boi is offline   Reply With Quote