Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What do you use Kroot for?
Old 29 Feb 2008, 01:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default What do you use Kroot for?

I have been looking at kroot for my army, and am trying to see how they could be used. ???
Yes, they are Tau's answer to close combat (except Farsight v. Orks), but you have to BUY them an armour save, and it is still only a six. Once they get into combat, they seem as if they would be decent, but you have to get them there! I don't normally play with forests, so Fieldcraft bounuses seem pointless. Any tips for Kroot?

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 04:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar
Default Re: What do you use Kroot for?

Infiltrated Pillbox. They may only be 70-90 points, but they can draw a lot of attention if used right.

IMO, you should only attack in CC against non-specialized CC units, which excell solely in shooting(Pathfinders, for example). Or, CC units like Harlequins, where yes, you'll die, but Harlies cost a lot more per model, and shooting is iffy.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 08:17   #3 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui

Counterattacks are great. When an enemy comes, charge him with 20 kroot (and a couple of kroot hounds if you have them) and you'll get at least 60 attacks . Your opponent will be walking funny for a week.

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 11:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I do either 2 things with Kroot:

1) I field 2 small units of 10 each. These permit counter infiltration nicely and by being so close will draw the enemy's attention nicely.

2) Massive Kroot and Hound spamming. I put down large units to draw out the enemy and attack whatever gets close to me. usually these units are either 10 Kroot and 10 Hounds, or 20 Kroot and 10 Hounds. Using only 1 unit doesn't work here, you want about 3-4, to cover the entire center field. Whatever your opponent has will have to go through the Kroot first.

Using this method I will usually field about 4 squads, fielding a total of 60 Kroot and 40 Hounds.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 12:06   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

I go with a massive (14-16 Kroots and 6 hounds) single troop slot spam and just infiltrate them as close as they can. In essence I use them like how Trafalgar describe himself using them.

Besides they are rather cheap (166 pts) and they help me fill up some spoints in the army. I can get two Pirahnas as well for that price, so I guess it is often between them and the Kroots for fill in the rest of my 1750 pts army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 13:34   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyven
I do either 2 things with Kroot:

1) I field 2 small units of 10 each. These permit counter infiltration nicely and by being so close will draw the enemy's attention nicely.

2) Massive Kroot and Hound spamming. I put down large units to draw out the enemy and attack whatever gets close to me. usually these units are either 10 Kroot and 10 Hounds, or 20 Kroot and 10 Hounds. Using only 1 unit doesn't work here, you want about 3-4, to cover the entire center field. Whatever your opponent has will have to go through the Kroot first.

Using this method I will usually field about 4 squads, fielding a total of 60 Kroot and 40 Hounds.
That is almost the exact same thing that I do expect I only have 1/2 as many Kroot & Hound units.

The points IMO have already been given about Kroot.

1st - being Counter Infiltration or early Assaulting if the board permits

2nd - getting your opponent to force their attention to the Kroot to allow the rest of your army to put max damage on them.

No Aun'shi, we will not be naming our new Sept the "Masters of Disaster" in honor of the Space Marines!

Only the dead have seen the end of war.
dr.who79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 13:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Two units of Ten, used as counter infiltrators, and pillbox duty. I very rarely use them in cc, but instead double tap anything that comes close, and strike first with 20 attacks when the enemy charges me in cover. I've never given them a Shaper or armor. Every now and then I toss in a couple hounds if I have spare points. I love them, and wouldn't design a list without them.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 16:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Actually, you can't get an armor save on them. Rather, it's a permanent cover save and, probably not worth the points b/c it doesn't help in CC.

I think Kroot are best used as counter-infiltrators deployed into cover. Their lack of power weapons and armor save make them only so-so at CC. However, their guns are essentially bolters, making them pretty good shooters when combined with their fieldcraft ability.

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 17:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think that for the points you pay for them, they have limited potential to kill as many points worth of opponent models. Except for when they charge for the extra attack, they are mainly a meat shield. The dont fight as well as most specialized hand-to-hand units, but they do it better then a firewarrior squad. Take them in numbers at least 2 to 1 of most assualt units, and tie them down. Dont bother buying them armor saves they dont normally even get to use, or slow them down with an Ox.

Me personally I dont use them. I feel the points are better spent somewhere else, then spending them on a unit I plan to have die. Id rather take a cloud of gun drones and use them to slow an assault unit with pinning or making them the only charge option. Infiltrate is nice, but I like deepstrike too.
Old 01 Mar 2008, 01:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I actually like the kroot overall better than the fire warriors. Their guns are not as good as pulse rifles, of course, but they're at least as good as most other troops' basic weapons. I usually end up with a firing line of kroot in front of my firing line of fire warriors. This forces a target priority check to shoot the more expensive fire warriors and protects them from assault charges. Also, with two lines you are more likely to get a round of rapid from one of them before the line collapses. I actually kicked butt with my kroot last weekend in assault against Necrons. It felt really strange to have the advantage in close combat!

The kroot's biggest problem is not their lack of armor (they can stay in cover most of the time), but their leadership. A 7 is pretty bad, and the shaper costs way too much for what he gives you.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote