Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What next?
Old 28 Feb 2008, 20:22   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default What next?

I am new to Tau, have a Hammerhead/Skyray, full Elite choices of XV8s and XV25s, and 8 fire warriors. What is good next? I have already decided on a commander, and I can use some suits as one in the mean time. I am going for a hybrid or mech army.

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2008, 20:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: What next?

Well, obviously, you need a second Troop choice. I would say a unit of Kroot would be a fine addition; a second Firewarrior team would also come in handy.

If you go Hybrid, Broadsides are a great choice (Ive recently started to field them, myself).

Piranhas are also advisable, though they need some running in, until you`re familiar with them.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2008, 20:55   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Well, obviously, you need a second Troop choice. I would say a unit of Kroot would be a fine addition; a second Firewarrior team would also come in handy.
I agree 100% with the Kroot I field only 1 squad of Fire Warriors myself all my other troops are Kroot and their hounds. The numbers are depending on the point size games that I play but are always even 6,8,10 etc etc.

I would concider the following:

Another Hammer Head
a Devil Fish
a Broadside or 2
a Sniper Team

I agree with the Piranhas, they are very very helpful and fluffy.

All of these will give you options for either army type you are looking for.

As we all know our Habit can be very expensive so try to see if a friend has any of the models your are intersted in and play test it first.

I hope this helps

No Aun'shi, we will not be naming our new Sept the "Masters of Disaster" in honor of the Space Marines!

Only the dead have seen the end of war.
dr.who79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2008, 20:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Here's a prototype 1000 pt-ish list, just kinda threw it together:

HQ:
Shas'el-missle pod, cyclic ion blaster, shield gen, Iridium armor, bonding knife, HW multi-tracker
Bodyguard-missle pod, plasma rifle, shield gen, HW multi-tracker
209pts

Troops:
12 FW-Shas'ui, Photon grenades
140pts
12 FW-Shas'ui, Photon Grenades
140pts

Heavy Support:
Broadside-advanced stabalization
80pts
Hammerhead-Ion Cannon, Burst Cannons, Multi-tracker, Disruption pod
130pts

Elites:
3 Stealth suits-team leader,targeting array *3, fusion blaster
127pts

Fast attack:
8 Pathfinders-Devilfish, Shas'ui, photon grenades
194pts

Total: 1020pts

-By Timjim
Quote:
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 21:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, this is now a case for the armylist - board, but here are my two cents:

Quote:
HQ:
Shas'el-missle pod, cyclic ion blaster, shield gen, Iridium armor, bonding knife, HW multi-tracker
Bodyguard-missle pod, plasma rifle, shield gen, HW multi-tracker
209pts
Drop the Iridium Armour and the Shield Gen, as well as the Bodyguard (Field the Bodyguard as a "normal", Elite Crisis). His IC status should protect him well.
Furthermore, I`d get rid of the CIB, but that`s just personal preference - I prefer the predictable PR.

Quote:
Troops:
12 FW-Shas'ui, Photon grenades
140pts
12 FW-Shas'ui, Photon Grenades
140pts
Nice, though I`d drop the Grenades. You don`t want them to get caught in CC, anyway - and IF they get caught, you want the enemy to kill the squad on the charge, so that you can then shoot at him. The last thing you want is an enemy unit locked in CC for two or more assault-phases.

Quote:
Heavy Support:
Broadside-advanced stabalization
80pts
Always give Braodsides two Shield Drones as added protection. This means the Teamleader upgrade for the Broadside, and would up the cost to 115 - but well worth it. There`s nothing more annoying than a stray Lascannon shot which finishes off your precious Broadside.

Quote:
Hammerhead-Ion Cannon, Burst Cannons, Multi-tracker, Disruption pod
130pts
Nice, keep it as is.

Quote:
Elites:
3 Stealth suits-team leader,targeting array *3, fusion blaster
127pts
No. A FB on a Stealth is wrong on so many levels, Id get rid of it. Same is true for the TAs; they don`t DO anything for your team. 3 of them are as expensive as another team member - with the same outcome: 6 shots hit. But if coupled with Markerlights, precision goes through the roof! So more bodies are usually the better approach to Stealth Suits.

Quote:
Fast attack:
8 Pathfinders-Devilfish, Shas'ui, photon grenades
194pts
Again, drop the grenades. I personally don`t believe that Pathfinders are worth it in 1K games, but that`s up to you.
I would upgrade the Devilfish to a Warfish, though (SMS, TA, MT, DL - the whole package).

I`m not good at math right now (I wanna go to bed so badly... ), but all these changes should free a couple of points; points which could be invested in either more Crisis or Stealth Suits.

A note regarding Crisis configuration: Don`t automatically go Fireknife (PR, MP, MT). Yes, it is tempting; but imo, twin linked weaponry does sooo much better on Crisis; I suggest Deathrains (TL MPs, TA) - thy are relatively cheap (53 points each), and can put out a tremendous amount of fire.

I hope I have adressed everything...

Cheers,
-Bone

PS: Always try to stay under or exact at the points limit. I knwo, a couple of points over don`t look like much, but it is just considered to be common courtesy to adhere to the points limit.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2008, 21:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

As others have said, if you're going hybrid or mechanized you'll need some devilfish. At 2000 points, I usually have 5 devilfish chassis (counting the tanks) skimming around. The broadside kit is hideously overpriced ($35 a model!), but I own 3 of them anyway. Best gun in the game, twin-linked.

Doh, Bonesaw got to it while I was previewing, but here are my comments on your list.
  • There's no point in a bonding knife on your commander, because it only lets the unit regroup when below half strength. Since there's only 2 suits, it will never be below half strength. Even with 3 suits you don't need it, as the commander becomes an Independent Character if his bodyguards fall.
  • Troops look good, although I like to give the shas'ui a markerlight.
  • Give the hammerhead a Decoy Launcher, as a fast moving skimmer is destroyed if immobilized. All but the cheapest tau skimmers should have decoy launchers.
  • Only 1 in 3 stealthsuits can take the fusion blaster upgrade. It works very well with the TA, though.
  • Consider giving the pathfinder leader a target lock. You might not always want to send all your lights to the same unit

Looks like a good start, though.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2008, 21:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ty all, now I know to move to the army list board too. The suggestions all make sense and I'll take them into consideration I suppose I will tone down the Pathfinders, remove the grenades, and add an option to remove the stealth suits and add Crisis suits. I play Marines & Necrons so I need AP 2 weapons.

-By Timjim
Quote:

Old 28 Feb 2008, 22:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Solar
Ty all, now I know to move to the army list board too. The suggestions all make sense and I'll take them into consideration I suppose I will tone down the Pathfinders, remove the grenades, and add an option to remove the stealth suits and add Crisis suits. I play Marines & Necrons so I need AP 2 weapons.
Actually, AP3, which is a little easier. Remember, you have to meet the opposing armor value, not beat it. Rail Rifles, either from pathfinder squads or sniper teams, and ion cannon hammerheads will be your friends against those armies. Of course, crisis suits, broadsides, and good old-fashioned mass fire will also take them down.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2008, 22:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I know the AP rules, but I don't have any sniper drones and don't plan on taking rail rifles for pathfinders, more marker lights=more kills. I do have Plasma Rifles though.

-By Timjim
Quote: