Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

trouble with opponent...Any help?
Old 27 Feb 2008, 23:32   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default trouble with opponent...Any help?

Hey all I'm fairly new to the Tau (although I'm a long time 40K and fantasy player), but I'm having trouble against space marine drop pods. I've tried deploying as per usual against them, and also deep striking my crisis suits but i always seem to end up getting caught up in in CC and therefore annihilated.

any tips or tricks to avoid this would be much obliged!

BTW my opponent and i play on a 4X4 board, The models i have to play with (which aren't entirely ideal) are...

1 Crisis commander
5 crisis W/ plasma and missile pods
3 crisis W/ burst cannon's and plasma
3 stealth suits W/ markerlight drone
12 firewarriors (soon to be 20)
22 Drones

Thanks in advance for any guidance ;D
theherooftimesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2008, 23:46   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: trouble with opponent...Any help?

Well, nothing leaving a Drop Pod can charge right away. So at the very least you can run away when they show up. Adding a Devilfish might help you evacuate Fire Warriors from the area. Once they have landed, the unit inside is just a normal unit. They are not going to be fast enough to chase you down. And if your opponent splits the drop pods to prevent this, I would just focus on one group while the others catch up.

The bigger threat is Librarians in the drop pods, which hopefully your opponent will not discover. They are particularly nasty against Tau.

At anything more than 1,000 pts, you should not be playing on a 4'x4' table. That should solve a lot of your problem. 4'x4' gives you too little room to maneuver with larger armies.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2008, 23:50   #3 (permalink)
Tyr
Shas'Saal

it looks like you won't be playing very high points games.
How many squads is he drop podding?
Your opponent isn't assaulting out of drop pods right? Cause he can't.
The main problem you have will be dealing with a sudden rapid fire squad in your line.
Spreading out your troops is one option, however grouping them all together is also another valid tactic. He jumps out of his pods and rapid fire's you, the rest of your army annhilates that squad. This will work well if you are using small squad sizes as it will minimise the damage coming in as he can only for example kill 6 fairewarriors in a squad. Hiding your HQ between two squads maintains his IC status.

"I have taken great pains not to laugh at the actions of aliens, nor to weep at them or to hate them, but to understand them."- Aun'shi
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2008, 23:53   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the fast reply!!

Thankfully my opponent doesn't know about the power of librarians (I put him off when i used to play as Eldar.)
But no we generally don' t exceed 1000Pts, if we do the maximum is 1150Pts.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 07:05   #5 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui

Why do you have so many drones is all I can say right now, but why :sadnshocked:

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2008, 07:13   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You get 22 drones from the other units as freebies and everything is probably played.

I agree with everything the others have said and stay away from the marines.
If your opponent ever is reading a page with the words "Fear of Darkness" (I think) try to convince him that it's not good.
Fear of Darkness+Drop pod=No more Tau
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2008, 07:57   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

i actually have 28 drones (after counting them) because i bought the rapid insertion force. I wanted to get as many crisis suits as possible so i thought this box would be a good deal plus, as a bonus i got a few more drones in the box than i was supposed to >

How good is that and i thought GW never miscounted models.

I now have 20 firewarriors and a devilfish.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 08:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yeah you get bonus drones sometimes, got three in a crisis but was balanced out by none in another box.

Devilfish should help with evacuating a squad from a drop pod. Or supplying reinforcements to deal with another pod.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 16:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Its actually a real handycap to play against marines at low point games since they have such great stats for the points you pay for them. The less toys you get to match their basic troop advantage, the harder it is. Make sure you are well versed in the rules with anything fancy he uses or you might not actually be playing it out right.

If he uses a common tactic over and over (like always drop podding) form a plan to beat his one-trick-poney. Like put all your troops into a skimmer and just wait for him to land, then peel away before the assualt. Or deep strike your own guys. In the end youll just trade table ends and he ends up walking into your firepower as normal.