Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

the carbines grenade launcher.
Closed Thread
Old 13 Apr 2005, 03:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default the carbines grenade launcher.

hey, the pulse carbine has a grenade launcher, and i really cant see how it come into play in a battle. to me a good idea to make a carbine effective to both the fire warrior and the path finder would to allow the weapon to fire grenades you buy (like seeker missiles) like a frag equivalent. anyway to me this could add to the killing power of the carbine in a static army or a way to break up large swarms.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 03:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer
Default Re: the carbines grenade launcher.

I dont see what you mean exactly, but the carb's 'Nade launcher its widely accepted is what gives it the pinning ability by firing grenades :P
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 13 Apr 2005, 03:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i was lead to believe from what i have read that the fact that the carbine is small allowing the user to get closer than normal and then open fire quickly supprising the enemy from a hail of fire. i do know that it does fire the photon grenades but i cant see the tau spending time, materials, and space for something that could easy be thrown for the same effect... or at lest anything that can effect the game.
Old 13 Apr 2005, 04:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

why do US M16's have an optional grenade launcher underslung? so you dont have to throw it , that and it'll go farther than you could throw it and straighter most oft. its the lazy mans weapon ^-^(anyone with a military background feel free to enlighten me on what its actually for ;D)
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 13 Apr 2005, 05:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy
why do US M16's have an optional grenade launcher underslung? so you dont have to throw it , that and it'll go farther than you could throw it and straighter most oft. its the lazy mans weapon ^-^(anyone with a military background feel free to enlighten me on what its actually for ;D)
Well, I don't have a real background in the military, but I've got a military buff friend.
Basically, the grenade launcher was originally designed to be a explosive weapon that was ranged somewhere between that of hand-thrown grenades, as well as motors.
The reason for it being on a rifle, not being a standalone weapon like it was in WWII, isn't because they're lazy, and have bad aim, it's that it's got better range, as well as being pretty convenient. However, soldiers usually carry hand grenades regardless because of the versitility of the real thing. It can be bounced off of walls, around corners, into a room, ect. Grenade launchers are primed after the grenade is launched, and have made a set number of rotations in air to prevent accidents from misfiring (basically, it won't detonate if you shoot it strait down, but will if you shoot it strait up ^_^). The things generally detonate on impact, but some are timed. Also, they're pretty inconvenient to use after the first shot since they need to be reloaded after every use.
Now, in 40k, it could just be anything. a magnetic field that thrusts a simple grenade to stunn enemies (I think it's actually a stun weapon(flash-bang), not like a frag grenade). The technical aspects don't matter though. It's only as important as the limits of your imagination.
But hey, take your pick and choose you sights. Go to Avalon and shoot it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
She said she can't die! She's survive even if you roast her or bake her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Should we try to boil her or fry her instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
It's foolish for people to go out on a night like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
I'm talking about you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
No, I'm not asking who's a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari
So you're admitting to being a fool?
Old 13 Apr 2005, 12:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Uhh.. If your wondering what the grenade launcher actually does in a game.. do a forum search, this has been asked heaps :\

As for what it actually does.. its the pinning effect, the firewarrior fires off nades and that stops the enemy from moving on due to the grenades.. so theres the pinning effect.. That said, most of the time it doesn't actually do anything (in relation to pinning)
Old 13 Apr 2005, 12:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ maCe
link=topic=6249.msg105363#msg105363 date=1113393759]
Uhh.. If your wondering what the grenade launcher actually does in a game.. do a forum search, this has been asked heaps :\
Yes it has, sadly. I wonder why there is a Search button though, it must be in a foreign language or something because people dont have a clue how to use it, and if they did it would save so much time not having to repeat ourselves consecutively... O well moan over...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! Thatís the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Old 13 Apr 2005, 14:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

People just come to ask thier question and are either new to this forum and don't notice the sear button, or they're new to forums in general and dont' even know there is one.

Super Noob...ya know.

The USM16 with an under-slung grenade launcher is refered to as an M-203 and does fire fragmentation, incindiary and other conventional grenade types.

However, in a 40k context, Photon Grenades are not "conventional" as they are alien technology unknown to the Imperium. Rules for upgrading to modified grenade launchers in FW squads might be a neat idea - a launcher that fires a Krak equivilent at short range would supplement not having squad level special weapons like other armies. I could see up to 3 FWs per squad being allowed to upgrade to a Heavy Grenade Launcher for +8pts each, firing S6 AP3 grenades, but it Gets Hot, just like the Rail Rifle.

But this sort of hypothetical talk is for the House Rules forum.
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 13 Apr 2005, 17:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to CommanderNightstalker Send a message via Yahoo to CommanderNightstalker

if you look under the Photon grenade's description, it talkis about the thing unleashing sonic energy and bright spectrum of lights and colors to disorient the enemy. In effect you're giving motion sickness to a person every time you're doing it. And you would stop to wonder about why it causes pinning. They're too busy throwing up to shoot back.
"Duty. Honor. Vigilance. These are the three values that you of the Shas Caste should have burned within your hearts. To live these values is to be a Fire Warrior of Ta'ran. It is these values that set us apart from our Sept Brethren. With Duty, Honor, and Vigilance on our minds, nothing can stand in our way."

- Commander Nightstalker
Old 13 Apr 2005, 17:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderNightstalker
And you would stop to wonder about why it causes pinning. They're too busy throwing up to shoot back.
lol..actually I believe that they get confused and blinded by the Photon Grenade, and they get the same effects by the Pulse Carbine...but throwing up is good to!
Closed Thread