Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How do you deal with the nightbringer
Old 27 Feb 2008, 17:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default How do you deal with the nightbringer

Just wondering how you guys deal with any necron players who use the nightbringer.

I quite often come up against this deadly bugger as my friend plays a cheesy list which usually includes the nightbringer and or either monoliths.

I usually go for the phaseout and use my railguns on the monoliths.

I have never even attempted to take down the nightbringer. I just run away from him usually.

How do you guys deal with him.

me thinks Railguns but what tactics.,

Cheers
The iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you?re a god or a total bastard. The iron will always kick you the real deal. The iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But, two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.
Joey Goldcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2008, 17:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Re: How do you deal with the nightbringer

Weight of fire breaks the Nightbringer. Railguns aren't really that effective, because the AP does nothing. He gets a save anyway. But his save isn't very good. I tend to concentrate pulse rifles on him, he's not worth more as you can use your AP guns to get the Necrons and phase out.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2008, 17:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Just evade. He is slow - he can only walk, no VoD, no Monolith Teleport.

Just focus on the rest of his army. If he really fields a Monolith AND a C`Tan, chances are good that you can force him to phase out - something otherwise near impossible to do with Tau.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2008, 18:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

To be honest, being one of the only armies even capable of wouding that guy with every single weapon we have available and that he only gets a 4+ save against them. Well that's just delish. However as others have said, screw him go for the phase out. He needs 96 BS3 Shots at Str5 to down him or about 48 BS3 Str 7 shots. Which would really deplete your resources. As these are only averages the odds don't look good.

Though with the markerlights and fishes of fury in tandem, a one turn kill would be possible, just for the straight out demoralizing of your opponnet
Old 27 Feb 2008, 18:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souchan
Though with the markerlights and fishes of fury in tandem, a one turn kill would be possible, just for the straight out demoralizing of your opponnet
You know, I`ve DEFINITELY got to try this one...
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2008, 18:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I've found that the best way to deal with the C'tan in general is to avoid them and as Che Circus said, go for anything that counts towards the Phase Out rule.

As far as actually taking one out, the strongest weapons (read: the best chance of wounding a C'tan) we have to use are Fusion Blasters, Missile Pods, Seeker Missiles and Railguns.

One of my Tau brothers has a special squad of Crisis Suits for taking out C'tan (though personally, some people think its powergaming to change your army when you see what you are fighting against), it is 3 suits each armed with a fusion blaster, a Missile pod, and a drone controller (4 Gundrones, 2 Marker Drones). This is an expensive unit though, only slightly less than a landraider. He drops them in by the C'tan, Shoots everything at it, and then uses the Markerlight hits (assuming they do) to aid his Railhead and his Broadside.

8 shots that should be able to wound, and 4 extra just in case.

But again, its alot of points, and if you fail to kill the C'tan they will die. Quickly.

"I've always loved being the center of attention, when that didn't involve incoming fire." --Ciaphas Cain, Hero of the Imperium--
O Vioanoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2008, 19:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Do I properly infer that he is firing marker lights after moving? Does he also remember to bring multitrackers? Cause otherwise by the looks of it he isn't using them to their fullest.(of course if it's an El/O with 2 Vres that explains a lot).

As far as RailGuns go, While lovely, I would not use them on Ctan(or Monoliths you might wanna ignore them unless pressed), as they are low volume fire and against his 4+Inv Highly ineffective. Same Deal with FB's. Seeker's are a bit of a waste with only 25% Chance to do a wound(to hit not added in the calculation) and they could be doing a much better job of instagibbing Necron warrior's with the WBB denial. Actually that goes for all previously mentioned weapons and I must recommend using railguns on immortals or destroyers. You'll laugh seriously. Also never forget to submunition his scarab swarms^^

I really do belive our best weapons against Ctan is our capability to outmaneuver the slow numpty^^ (failing that markerlighted pulse, burst cannons, SMS and misslepods ftw!)
Old 28 Feb 2008, 08:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Crisis suits with TL fusion blasters and targetting array. He can lose 5 wounds pretty quick from a few of those bad boys.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 10:36   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Actually he won't. A single such suit has a 23.4% chance of actually dealing a wound. So if you have say a single squad of them firing at him they have a 70.2% chance of dealing a wound. A lucky roll will net you 3 wounds, but that's you needing to roll 3 4+ rolls and him needing to roll 3 3- rolls. Barring lucky rolls they'll take ages. Not to mention what happens if he gets lucky on his saves, I've seen what happens then.(though that was my BT's Champion deciding to make 8 Inv saves in a row against a Dark Eldar Archon and Hellions, the eldar got thoroughly smooshed by him.)

Now say 2 markerlight hits and a full squad of fire warriors rapid firing him(they will be dead after this I know, but same goes for the crisis suits) will score 1.7 wounds on the big guy, not enough to kill him, but as numbers go vastly superior to the suits. Now take both said squads and have them shooting at Necron warriors. 20 will hit, 13.3 will wound 4.4 will drop, 2.2 will stay down. Not very rosy, but gets some work done. Now the 3 suits firing at the same warriors will get the same results with (2.3 average down) but with the exception that no lucky WBB or Armour saves will work(short of an orb, I hate those things, don't have those suits shooting at them)

I just remembered how much I hate going against necrons with my Tau unless I have FarsightXD
CC being their biggest weakness doesn't help us poor Tau (My BT and Grey Knights have a regular party with them though)