Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Tau Player Next Steps
Old 24 Feb 2008, 23:42   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default New Tau Player Next Steps

I am a new tau player and I have 2 squads of fire warriors and a battlesuit commander for my HQ. I am now looking to expand my army. What units are good for next steps in expanding my army considering that I often face eldar forces ( mostly armored units most of the time)?
jojjoj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2008, 23:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: New Tau Player Next Steps

Broadsides or a Hammerhead maybe?
ct_drummer_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2008, 01:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Go with some anti-tank; broadsides, a hammerhead, or mabye a couple piranha. First, though, you need to decide whether you want to run a mech, static, or hybrid army. I made the mistake of not deciding, and now I have a bunch of unused models (Which equals wasted money, in my opinion...) just sitting around.
Lying in a featherbed will bring you no fame, nor staying beneath the quilt, and he who uses up his life without achieving fame leaves no more vestige of himself on Earth than smoke in the air or foam upon the water. ~Dante Alighieri

W L D
Tau 3 1 1
Space Marines 5 0 1
Tyranids 1 0 0
Dark Eldar 2 0 0
Pianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2008, 02:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

You can never go wrong with a hammerhead. More crisis suits might be a good investment, too.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2008, 04:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Agreeing with the previous posts. Get a skyray kit (which has the parts to make skyray, devilfish, or hammerhead), then some more suits. Lots of people love the stealth team, and it's a nice cheap kit for 3 suits and a marker drone. Crisis suits are also a safe investment as you can always find something for a squad of them to do. I love the broadsides too, but it's a very expensive kit and you don't want them if you prefer mobility to firepower.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2008, 05:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Yeah, while broadsides are not to be under-estimated, I still say the hammerhead is the undisputed source for railguns. The hammerhead looks awesome, for one thing, and it's not as much of a points sink as a full squad of broadsides with A.S.S.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2008, 11:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Plus, a hammerhead has a lot of flexibility; you can give it an Ion Cannon to take down power armor and light vehicles, a Railgun solid shot to take down big things, or a submunition round to wipe out hoards of medium to light infantry. It would seem that a Hammerhead is definitely your best bet.
Lying in a featherbed will bring you no fame, nor staying beneath the quilt, and he who uses up his life without achieving fame leaves no more vestige of himself on Earth than smoke in the air or foam upon the water. ~Dante Alighieri

W L D
Tau 3 1 1
Space Marines 5 0 1
Tyranids 1 0 0
Dark Eldar 2 0 0
Pianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2008, 14:32   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

All of the previous posts have great suggestions for you on expanding your list. One thing you may want to considered before buying to many differant models is what kind of army do you want to play. I have a lot of suits and only 2 troops choices in my army and I also have 3 HH's and a skyray for large battles as they can dish out a lot of hurt.

Ok, so you play Elder a lot well I have 2 suggestions for you. Depending on the point Values you play most often, try to build 2 differant play lists.

The First being a "Take all Comers" List.

The Second will be a custom list specific on taking out the armies to play most often.

The link that will be most helpful when selecting army option is "Important Topics [please read before posting]" Is has a lot of great information about Tau Tactics and what units are able to do.

I hope that I gave some good direction for you to take on your Tau list

Important Topics [please read before posting]

No Aun'shi, we will not be naming our new Sept the "Masters of Disaster" in honor of the Space Marines!

Only the dead have seen the end of war.
dr.who79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2008, 16:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

all 40k armies need to be able to excel in a few dimensions in order to survive.

mobility/reach - to make sure enemies can stay out of your engagement distance and pelt you unmolested

Quality/Quantity - have enough of small stuff to kill lots of stuff or force so many saves/damage rolls that it (whatever it is) eventually dies,and/or have enough of big stuff that 1shot-1kill doesn't suffer from having to kill 15 things with 5 shots.

Redundancy - when things start dying, you have more where that came from (even if you only have 1 more)

Normal armies will only those of the above dimensions, but a Tau army must also consider morale as tau armies are more vulnerable than most to morale checks. consider mounting most things up, or put an etheral on the table.
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2008, 18:47   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

depends on the eldar player, becides tanks is he mobile or a static firepower kind of gey or both? Against tanks i recomend skyray tanks their loads of missiles are a pain in the ass for eldar players to deal with. Becasue tanks are so mobile, take advantage of some of its weapons that dont need line of sight, and this will also annoy the piss out of an eldar player. It certainly annoys me! Eldar tanks maybe tough but if you glance them enough they will come down. Their speed can be rendered useless if pathfinders bring in missles from your skyray. Hammars arnt as good, even though its almost a guarenteed glance, more shots will bring down more eldar vechiles since its impossible to penitrate them. hope this helps.