Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kinda left field, but what do ya think??
Old 23 Feb 2008, 22:24   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Kinda left field, but what do ya think??

been thinking about a new take on my love for 40k, and combining it with one of my fav tv series, star trek.

was toying with the idea that i could use the tau codex as a basis for a stranded federation task force ( ok i know far fetched, but what the hell!)

This is as far as ive got with representating my idea with the codex...

Hammerhead - Delta Flyer / Scorpion Class attack flyers
  • Railgun - Phaser Array
  • Smart Missle System - micro torpedo launcher

Devilfish - Shuttlecraft Chaffee
  • Burst Cannon - Phaser Array

Pirhanas - Argo Ground Vehicle
weaponry - turret mounted Burst cannon / fusion blaster

Etherial - Federation Ambassador / Starship Captain

Tau Warriors
  • Pulse Rifles - Phaser Rifles
  • Pulse Carbines - Phasers / Photon Grenades

Pathfinders - Security teams
  • Rail rifles -TR-116 rifle

Stealth Team - Section 31
  • Burst Cannon - modified phasers
  • Fusion Blaster - Tetryon Pulse Launcher

Kroot - Klingons!!
  • Nuff Said there?

Stingwings - Federation Commandos (w/ transporters)

Battlesuits - small awayteams armed to the teeth
  • starfleet officer leading his team
  • (think IG heavy weapon teams)

Shield Drones - Redshirts with forcefield generator

Gun Drones - Redhshirt with carbine

I know its a bit wacky, but what the hell, it could be a larf!

comments / critisims welcome
homerismyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2008, 01:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Kinda left field, but what do ya think??

One word: Don`t.

Star Trek troops are so ridiculosly underpowered, the probably wouldn`t last long enough to mutter "Prime Directive" in a straight-up slug-out with the average 40K race - besides, I have yet so see anyone of them wearing more than form-fitting plastic clothes (which probably burn like straw) into battle; donning protective equipment seems to be a completely forgotten art in the Starfleet...

The average Star Trek redshirt would probably look like a forlorn tourist in the grim darkness that is the 41st Millenium.

So... don`t. Those two universes just don`t mesh well with each other.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2008, 01:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I can see this turning into a versus thread faster than we can say "hide it from LGT"...

My only comment is this; while the idea is very original, it's hopelessly out of scale. A phaser rifle is more comparable to an old-Codex, Strength 2 Grot Blasta than a Pulse Rifle.

I actually wrote a snarky (but alarmingly accurate) Codex for the UFP, though.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2008, 08:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Actually, phasers would probably be str. 3. Grot blasters are tiny little revolver thingies.

I agree, a Star Trek codex would be impractical... the TV shows simply don't concentrate on the actual military of the Federation. It's pretty obvious that to survive for long against the other nasties in star trek, the feds have got to have some sort of practical military. The TV show just never talks about it... it doesn't fit into the plot line.

I'm a bit of a Trekkie, but that's still the way I see it. But still, the (relatively) tiny numbers of Federation peoples would result in their complete annihilation from anyone but the Tau (who also are relatively low in number, and would probably get the Feds to join 'em, as their both somewhat communist) or the 'nids. About the 'nids... trust me, the crew of any one of the Enterprises could whip up a chemical/energy field/random techno-babbly item that'd destroy the hive. Terrifyingly unrealistic, yes, but true to the show. ~.^
Old 24 Feb 2008, 08:43   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
I can see this turning into a versus thread faster than we can say "hide it from LGT"...

My only comment is this; while the idea is very original, it's hopelessly out of scale. A phaser rifle is more comparable to an old-Codex, Strength 2 Grot Blasta than a Pulse Rifle.

I actually wrote a snarky (but alarmingly accurate) Codex for the UFP, though.
I totally agree - cool idea, but Star Trek power levels aren't enough to really compete. But as a counts as, I can't see why not - it would look cool.

Novae - what about phasers on level 16? They could disintegrate matter from solid rocks to people.

I think IG would be better though, to represent a counts as army, and keep with more of a Federation feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2008, 09:27   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
That is not so hard to prevent. Just don't turn it into a versus thread. The thread-starter expressed a liking for the series, so I don't think there is a need for posts dedicated to tearing it down.

If you are trying to write representative rules based on the show, I think what Novae did before is fine. Star Trek does not translate very well into 40k, as for the most part the show is portraying armed security details rather than professional soldiers in a war-time environment. So it is hard to use any of the current armies as "counts as" unless you leave a lot of things out. If you just want to use Star Trek as a theme and don't care so much about the details, what you have there is fine.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2008, 14:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Quote:
That is not so hard to prevent. Just don't turn it into a versus thread. The thread-starter expressed a liking for the series, so I don't think there is a need for posts dedicated to tearing it down.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to knock the off course, just point out the disparity; it's the later posts that encouraged me to go off on a tangent >.

I'll actually try to critique the ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerismyid
Hammerhead - Delta Flyer / Scorpion Class attack flyers
  • Railgun - Phaser Array
In memory, I've never seen Railgun-level of firepower out of the Delta Flyer, but it's a better comparison than anything else; IRC micro-torpedos do exist.

Quote:
Devilfish - Shuttlecraft Chaffee
  • Burst Cannon - Phaser Array
Passable.

Quote:
Pirhanas - Argo Ground Vehicle

weaponry - turret mounted Burst cannon / fusion blaster
To be realistic, you'd have to fly them backwards since the Feds only ever mounted a rear-arc turret on the Argo .

Quote:
Etherial - Federation Ambassador / Starship Captain
I remember one quote where Israfel said that the Galactic Empire would loose to the Federation because Picard would make an alliance with the Thundercats. Those were the days .

It works alright, though, Trek Captains have always been portrayed as inspiring leaders.

Quote:
Tau Warriors
  • Pulse Rifles - Phaser Rifles
Really not deserving of the Carapace armour, but it draws a parallel with stuff from the series/movies.

Quote:
Pathfinders - Security teams
  • Rail rifles -TR-116 rifle
The one weapon from Trek that would be epic win in real life; a teleporter sniper rifle that shoots through walls without you knowing until you're dead ;D.

Call the Markerlights tricorders or some tech-of-the-week target designator?

Quote:
Stealth Team - Section 31
  • Burst Cannon - modified phasers
  • Fusion Blaster - Tetryon Pulse Launcher
We've never seen powered armour in Star Trek, ever, nor Federation personal cloaks. I think Spock had a jetpack, but that was back in the days of miniskirts, mortars and Kirk-Fu. The Tetryon Technobabblator, if it refers to the shoulder-mounted thing Worf used in STFC, isn't much of an anti-tank gun. I recall a cutting phaser from Voyager or a mining torch from DS9?

Quote:
Kroot - Klingons!!
  • Nuff Said there?
Much too noisy to be relied upon to Infiltrate, but in keeping with the nature of everything here being multiplied by "over nine thousand!" to be on a 40k scale, it's a workable comparison.

Quote:
Stingwings - Federation Commandos (w/ transporters)
Jump packs as transporters is an interesting comparison, much like Warp Spiders.

Quote:
Battlesuits - small awayteams armed to the teeth
  • starfleet officer leading his team
  • (think IG heavy weapon teams)
Probably the worst parallel you've drawn; we've never seen automated mecha or powered armour in the UFP as I said, let alone on this scale. Moreover, the last time the Federation had half-decent firepower on the ground was TOS, and that was a mortar used precisely once.

Quote:
Shield Drones - Redshirts with forcefield generator
Works.

Quote:
Gun Drones - Redhshirt with carbine
Jet pack represents constantly diving behind a packing crate :P?
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2008, 20:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

so your in the position of balancing 2 very different universes. Its a terrible job to and one that Im also currently doing. However I wont even try to balance teh ground armies, Only the Cardassians and Dominion seem to have grasped what it takes to win a ground war.

I and working on balancing BFG Fleets with star treks fleets in the 40k setting and its not easy.
Warp drive is by the hardest to put on the table top. The nearest thing would be Necrons inertialess drive.
Other weapons and shield issues are not as difficult to work out on paper, the problem is making sure the other players basicly aggree with the stats of starfleet ships.

I wont go into detail to what work ive done because its never a exact fit, but I can say its playable with a group that shares your interest in both 40k and st.
good luck in finishing your list.
Kelsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2008, 22:27   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

@kelsik : my old gaming group playtested a similar BFG conversion with the old startrek micromachines. used the basic movement from the game and used the stats from the Pc STamada games for the weaponry. got to the point of bucketloads of dice being rolled for the games, but was a great larf watching sides thoroughly trash each other!! hmmmm... i might have to resurrect that?

@ everyone else, i know that this isnt a feasable army, and im not suggesting cisco could take on a marine, or other 'my universe is harder than yours' arguements. i meant the original concept as a pure an simple 'count as' army to give people summat different to play against, rather than marine clones, and whatnots. i see it more as a modelling and converting challenge rather than a tourney winning army.

Moving on from that, if anybody has any ideas on how a could develop these ideas im open to suggestions, esp my battlesuit problem. my orignal idea was akin to a heavy weapons team with a leader sharing a base, making up the multiple wounds and the multiple weapon systems. would that work or would it be too complicated?

lemme know eh?
homerismyid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2008, 15:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I would have liked to seen how your micromatchine game worked. I sadly still have a huge collection rotting away.

since you mentioned this as a modeling challenge I can help there by looking up some sources of prop styles that were used on the the tv/movie series that can help give your modles the look you want.

If you dont mind going off cannon and looking at other sources like Armada, voyagers borg war pc game, or even for a laugh startrek borg (1990's pc game.)

For your basic fed foot soldiers armour look, you may want to scetch a hybred between, the new style eva suits as seen in First contact, and Halo master chief armour.

Another look may be to look at the security armour of the first st film. though I laughed uncontrolably when I saw it. ( the armour that is)

There is also the Maco look from Enterprise, though not really body armour, the coloring and cut of uniform may offer syle options for your basic troops.

Ive got to get back to work, If this the type of info your looking for Ill post what I know and what I can research on hand and vehicle weapons.

Peace through superior firepower.
Kelsik is offline   Reply With Quote