Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Devilfish or Hammerhead??
Old 22 Feb 2008, 03:14   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Devilfish or Hammerhead??

Iam new to warhammer, just bought a tau tank set and i cant decide on what i want to build? I have no idea what to add as secondary weapons on my tank. Since iam starting off is a devilfish or hammerhead better? please help me! :-\
AsDeathApproaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2008, 03:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Devilfish or Hammerhead??

are you transporting troops if so the devilfish is the only tank for that, but if your killing the enemy the a hammerhead is better.
(three plus power armor will block all your shots but can i get over 1" of dangerous terrain...oops i rolled a one)

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. cough cough anyone got a coughdrop?

shas,o,kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2008, 03:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris
Iam new to warhammer, just bought a tau tank set and i cant decide on what i want to build? I have no idea what to add as secondary weapons on my tank. Since iam starting off is a devilfish or hammerhead better? please help me! :-\
Devilfish. You can always just roundhouse kick any tanks that come your way! AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!! [wipes tear]

Ok, ok, but really, what you build really depends on what else you have. Did you buy a Battleforce or something like that?

If all you have is the basic 2 troops and 1 HQ (and maybe an Elite/Fast Attack), then you would probably be best off with a Hammerhead, which will give you a strong Heavy Support choice to start up with. Even in small games below 1000pts, it is good to have 1 railgun as assurance against any armor.

On the other hand, if you already bought, say, a Broadside or something, then go build a Devilfish, since you'd already have a railgun.

Regardless of which tank you get, just read up on some of the site's articles for what upgrades/equipment to put on them. The basic vehicle upgrades for Tau are the Decoy Launchers & Multi-Tracker. These are considered manditaory, so every gets these.

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2008, 05:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You could always checklist what you have. Do you intend to move mounted firewarriors or pathfinders? If you do, then the choice is obvious. You want a devilfish.

Or do you want a craft can deliver long range, high strength firepower. Then you want the Hammer head with a railgun. The Ion cannon is cheaper, and can take on marines.

Alot of my opponents are lacking in vehicles. And their anti-vehicle equipment is pretty much krak missiles or assault. My eldar opponent has yet to field swooping hawks. I'd like to give them a shot, too. But for me, a devilfish and firewarriors/pathfinders is a better deal. I have a good mix of plasma, missilepods and fusion blasters, and the heaviest stuff I'm seeing is rhinos and dreads.

I should probably pick up a hammerhead myself, now that you mention it. But one vehicle deserves another. A devilfish and hammerhead is better than hammerhead or devilfish. Twice the fun for an enemy.
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2008, 09:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Maybe you should just start to read the Codex and the Rulebook - then you`ll soon figure out for yourself what you`ll need to build next.

Especially the choice between Devilfish and Hammerhead will then be obvious...

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2008, 09:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you brought the Hammerhead, then you can make either the Devilfish or the Hammerhead. I would make the hammerhead if i were you. Saves you money. You can get a devilfish for near 20 if you want one
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2008, 14:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

In real money terms, the skyray kit is the best deal because you can build devilfish, skyray, or hammerhead with it. With some strategically placed magnets you can also convert easily between them. Here's one of the conversion guides for making the "Ray-Hammer-Fish-Head" or whatever other names the project is called. http://advancedtautactica.com/viewto...79846f79a25930

In game and army terms, the two vehicles fill different roles. While having a respectable amount of firepower, the Devilfish is a troop transport, not a gunship. Blowing things up is not its job; transporting fire warriors (who of course DO blow things up) is. The hammerhead doesn't have any transport capability, but it has quite a bit more firepower and even better armor. The ion cannon is good at chewing through Space Marines and their equivalents (anything with a 3+ armor save, including Chaos Marines, Crisis Suits, Necron Warriors, and some Eldar). The railgun is more expensive but can kill the biggest vehicles in the game (as long as you can roll better than a 2 when you need it, anyway) or large numbers of lighter infantry. The Skyray should be treated like a souped-up ion cannon hammerhead, but with two markerlights compensating for slightly less total firepower.

If you need both firepower and transport options in the same vehicle, consider the upgraded model of Devilfish, affectionately called the Warfish. It's a Devilfish with smart missiles, multi-tracker, targeting array, and the almost mandatory decoy launchers. It can't handle vehicles or Marines like a hammerhead, but it does an incredible amount of damage for something that's not a heavy support choice! An expensive upgrade, but unless the 'Fish gets slagged in the first round it's usually worth it.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2008, 02:10   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

so i decided to make the hammerhead with burstcannons. i assembled it and what not but iam wondering if this is a bad decision or not?? :-\
AsDeathApproaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2008, 02:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

A hammerhead is never a bad decision. It's pretty much necessity for a Tau list, really. :P

Never get more than two though, people complain whenever they see one...I have two hammerheads with enough turrets that I can switch between rails or ion cannons for both of them (no magnets here ), and two devilfish.

But no, it's not a bad decision. As for the decision between burst cannons and SMS, firing without LoS is nice and all, but I just love the look of burst cannons so...

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2008, 06:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

LOL 2?
I always run 3 HHs of course i run a mech-tau army
3 warfish, 3 hammerheads and some crisis suits.

My vehicles have every upgrade except the black sun filter or sensor spines as we never play night fight and i never need to enter terrain with my tanks. everything else is worth every point even if it does make them a bit spendy.