Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau in 'Xenology' and other fluff (SPOILERS)
Old 21 Feb 2008, 21:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tau in 'Xenology' and other fluff (SPOILERS)

I've just finished aload of fluff books, the most impressive being xenology, and i was amazed at what i found out.
1.The most amazing thing i found out is that it the c'tan made a 'Dark Crop' which they planted on a backwater planted with none or at least a tiny connection to the warp (this screams Tau to me).

This is sort of abig shock as i don't like thinking Tau were created by the C'tan.

In Xenology the guy disects a female tau etheral. :'(
2. First i remember someone having a thread about tau gender and just so you know, according to the book, female tau etherals look no different to the male ones (no change in face shape and no breasts, wasn't a full body dissection so don't know anymore regarding gender).

3. It is found out that the tau have an extremely heightened sense of smell, but also that the diamond on the etherals head isn't some bone (as i always thought it was) but actually an organ that releases pheromones into the air.
Another race that is dissected have EXACTLY the same diamond structures on them, which are used for control.
This to me hints that the tau are actually being controlled by the etherals for some means, what makes this argument stronger is the fact that after all the etherals in farsights army died he went 'rogue' and decided to carve an empire for himself (something that any imperial commander would do given the chance).
Some people might say then why don't they send another etheral after him, if they can control him. Well if your mind suddenly becomes clear and you have a self-will, after all the etherals around you die, if you meet another one, what would you do?? (I'm in short saying he kills them if no one gets this)
So does this mean that without etherals flooding planets with some sort of mind control/calming pheromone things could be similar to humans, with greed, murderers and thieves ??? I believe so.

Now for my conspiracy theory
4.If the tau were created by the C'tan, maybe also the etherals, who were introduced later on as a control of the tau before they had destroyed themselves before their purpose was fulfilled.
Now, as the etherals are controlling the tau, who's controlling the etherals??
My thoughts are that the C'tan 'The Deceiver' is the one behind this and that the necrons arn't involved at all. This is because a necron interviews/interrogates the etheral but doesn't control it in any way, and 'The Deceiver' would very happily deceive the necrontyr for its own means.
Now for another question, What do the C'tan want the tau for??
I believe it is the simple answer of food.
As the c'tan are trying to close the warp, if they do, anything that registers with the warp dies because their soul will be literally ripped from their body. But the c'tan live on energy which they can get in two ways, stars (which they hate) or souls.
As the necrons are probably soulless, they can't feed on them so what are they going to do for food...... Hence 'The Deceiver' (who is probably the only sane-ish one out of all of the c'tan) had the tau created, as they probably won't be killed if the warp is closed and then he has his own personal food supply.

I hope this isn't true as i will always liked (and still do) the tau because of the fact they seem 'bright' and don't seem as dark, odd, cruel or just plain crazy as the other races appear, but this is what seems the most likely solution to all of the 'Hints' that have been given.
Also if some people are wondering how i have thought this all up in about 30min, all i have to say is that my mind works in strange ways.

Thanks for reading, hope you enjoyed it and please post your own thoughts. ;D
Old 21 Feb 2008, 21:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Tau in 'Xenology' and other fluff (SPOILERS)

Well they're only the thoughts and ideas of the author y'know, not Codex fixed. So you don't have to believe any of it if it doesn't fit with your ideas, infact, you don't have to believe any of the stuff in the Codex, after all, the only thing that's illegal when playing a game is making up rules and stats. So your free to choose which bits to think 'real' and which bits to think as the author's imagination.
MalusHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2008, 22:18   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

The theory presented by Xenology is that the Eldar created the Ethereal caste. The C'tan played no part whatsoever.

As for the "nasal slit" shape... well, the Aun might be different to other Tau. After all, only the Aun have the cranian ridge.

The Pheromone does not "control" the Tau, merely influences them. To give an example, try playing soft orchestral music when someone is trying to concentrate, then try playing sounds from a building site. Notice the difference? That's what the Aun do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2008, 22:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalusHunter
Well they're only the thoughts and ideas of the author y'know, not Codex fixed. So you don't have to believe any of it if it doesn't fit with your ideas, infact, you don't have to believe any of the stuff in the Codex, after all, the only thing that's illegal when playing a game is making up rules and stats. So your free to choose which bits to think 'real' and which bits to think as the author's imagination.
I'm interested in all of the GW approved fluff, which is why i read all the books in the first place. Its not going to put me of from playing tau no matter what they release fluffwise, but i think its great the amount of time and effort has been put in to create the 'universe' of 40k. But thanks for the thought anyway ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
The theory presented by Xenology is that the Eldar created the Ethereal caste. The C'tan played no part whatsoever.

As for the "nasal slit" shape... well, the Aun might be different to other Tau. After all, only the Aun have the cranian ridge.

The Pheromone does not "control" the Tau, merely influences them. To give an example, try playing soft orchestral music when someone is trying to concentrate, then try playing sounds from a building site. Notice the difference? That's what the Aun do.
I'm pretty sure that it doesn't mention that the eldar created the tau, i read it in another one of my friends books (i'll try and find the title) but if you go to wikipedia and search the c'tan one part of it contains this
'There is also mention of a "Dark Crop" which the C'tan planted on a backwater world near the edge of the galaxy. It has been speculated that this "Crop" was either the Tau or Humanity, and therefore accounts for the Pariah Gene, but not for humanity's psychic connections. More Likely Tau, as they have a limited connection to the warp.'

All tau faces seem exactly the same to me, except for the different forehead slits and diamonds. And as the Tau etherals are Tau it would be very likely for the nasal structures to be the same or very similar at least.

Finally pheromones are abit stronger than suggestive music and annoying roadworks. Actual pheromones can cause aggression (among other things), even if it isn't in the best interests of the thing being affected.
So for example if some type of insect is attacked, some can release a pheromone that causes other insects of the same species to attack even if it is obvious they are going to lose or die. (this can happen when they are foraging as well as when they are protecting stuff).
Old 21 Feb 2008, 23:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, considering the research station was a C'tan plot to find out about their enemies, and the Xenos in Cell One was a Necron that admits to having infiltrated their Inquisition, I seriously doubt the C'tan had much to do with the creation of the Tau. They may be young and thus have no Psykers but last I checked they had no Blanks or Pariahs either.
Old 22 Feb 2008, 02:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmonkeyrtu
I'm pretty sure that it doesn't mention that the eldar created the tau,
Read the Q'orl texts in Xenology.

It mentions that the Eldar stole a Q'orl Queen to "build a swarm uncorroded" by Chaos.

Regardless, all this has been argued before to hell and back, and no amount of beating this dead horse is going to alter people's personal opinions of the true level of influence provided by the pheromone organ without the addition of more fluff on the matter, so I say you can save yourself some typing and just read the archives both here and on ATT where the topic's been argued to death.

Just about everything that could be said on the matter has been said before.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2008, 02:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i always thought the tau were being controlled by chaos without knowing it? ???
(three plus power armor will block all your shots but can i get over 1" of dangerous terrain...oops i rolled a one)

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. cough cough anyone got a coughdrop?

shas,o,kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2008, 02:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Kind of hard to do that, Shas,O,Kain, when 99.99% of the Tau (including the mighty Ethereals, as per Fire Warrior), are almost incorruptible and immune to warp-influence.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

Doombringer

Old 22 Feb 2008, 02:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

In response to your pheremone statement, insects are far more simple-minded then a conscious being. I think if we see the Tau as beings of at least Human intelligence, it is highly improbably that a pheremone could have effects that strong. As stated above, the pheremones could possibly have an influential effect similar to music, but not a controlling one. Unless of course the Tau were classically conditioned to obey the message of the pheremone... But that's a whole different story, and I'm not going to get into the implications! However, the pheremone by itself could not control behaviour.

Another aspect of fluff is Farsight, his blade, and the dead world he found it on. I've frequently read theories that his sword is actually a necron'tyr artifact. Mabye that's why the Ethereals can't reign him in.

I like your imagination, though. Isn't it also possible that the Tau WERE originally Necron stock, but the Ethereals came, united the factions, and escaped the fate the C'tan had planned? Maybe the C'tan want the Tau divided, so they can't present a united front.

I'm pretty sure though the Tau have a presence in the Warp. I thought carriers of the Pariah gene were the only ones without a presence in the Warp. I think the "Dark Crop" is the Pariah gene, and in that case humanity was the one seeded.

Also, don't always trust what's said on wikipedia.

Lying in a featherbed will bring you no fame, nor staying beneath the quilt, and he who uses up his life without achieving fame leaves no more vestige of himself on Earth than smoke in the air or foam upon the water. ~Dante Alighieri

W L D
Tau 3 1 1
Space Marines 5 0 1
Tyranids 1 0 0
Dark Eldar 2 0 0
Pianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2008, 02:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Dan
I've frequently read theories that his sword is actually a necron'tyr artifact.
Just as many theories exist that Farsight's Dawn Blade is the 100th Sword of Vaul or even a Chaos Artifact.

All are just as possible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Dan
I'm pretty sure though the Tau have a presence in the Warp.
True. Tau do have a presence in the warp, but it is so minuscule and faint that it is difficult in the extreme (severe understatement) for a daemon or warp-being to be able to exert enough control through that small of a "window" to sufficiently turn/manipulate/possess them, much less even see them against the background noise of millions of other, more psychically attuned (therefore "brighter") beings in the Galaxy.

Doombringer