Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

General Questions ...
Old 18 Feb 2008, 15:16   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default General Questions ...

These are just a few things my friends and I were unable to answer or wrap our heads around.

1) Decoy Launchers only help on a roll of 'Immobilized' (5) on the glancing table ... how is that useful if the odds that happens are 1:6?

2) A SMS on a broadside can fire how many shots? A SMS on a 'fish/'ray/'head can fire how many shots? (I know the profile says 4, but they have 2 points on the suit/chassis).

3) Fish of Fury ... the devil fish moves 12" to within rapid fire range, the FWs deploy but CAN'T rapid fire?! How is that effective at all? Can't they assault you?

4) Fish of Fury pt 2 ... Does a skimmer land to deploy troops or just hover close to the ground? This could render FoF completely useless.

5) Suits w/ rapid fire weapons ... My fireknife moves 6" in movement to within rapid fire range ... does my Plasma Rifle get the 2nd shot b/c of the multi-tracker or not?

I'm sorry if these are painfully obvious noob questions but for the life of me I couldn't find the answers for them, any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers~!

~Roke
Lord Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2008, 15:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: General Questions ...

1) It really useful in the sense that without it you have 2 chance out of 6 to be destroyed since a skimmer who is immobilized crashes and is destroyed. So the reroll saves your bacon.

2) 1 SMS for 4

3) For Fish of fury your skimmer needs to move 6 inches or less to be able to deploy the troops and shoot (IIRC), so you lose the auto glancing.

Yes or no then can only assault the devilfish, not the Firewarrior unless they take 2 turn to go around the 'fish

4) They can hover.

5) Multitracker doesn't affect Rapid fire weapon. It only allow you to shoot 2 weapon system at the same time.

In your exemple your suit jumps 6" foward to get inot position. Thanks to it's jet pack he count as if he was stationary so you can either shoot twice at 12" or once at max range. The multitracker only allow you to use the missile pod at the same time.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2008, 15:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

1) Yes, they do help. Since they are that cheap, they can easily save your vehicle - remember, a immobilised skimmer which moved more than 6" in the previous turn is destroyed, so it actually as its uses.

2) 4 Shots. Note that they are equipped with "a SMS", not two or a twin-linked one - this would be mentioned expressively.

3) You CAN rapid fire after moving. Re-read the Rapid Fire rules in the BBB. Besides, the Fish bocks assaults, as well - saved my hide during the last game against Orks, when a Skimmer wall held an angry ob of Waaaghbikers at bay

4) No, Skimmers generally can`t land out of their own accord. Exceptions to this are immoblised results if the Skimmer moved slowly, or vehicle equiment. So FoF is perfectly viable.

5)Re-Read the Jet Pack rules in the BB. They can fire their Rapid Fire weapons justlike stationary units, AND move in the assault phase.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
-Bone

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
2) Not sure if it's 2 SMS then 8 is it's only 1 sms system then 4

3) For Fish of fury your skimmer needs to move 6 inches or less to be able to deploy the troops, so you lose the auto glancing.
It`s only 1 SMS. Ever.

3) is sooo wrong. You can of course move 12", then deploy your troops. Only fast vehicles moving over 12" can`t deploy any troops.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2008, 15:33   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossBonesaw

3) You CAN rapid fire after moving. Re-read the Rapid Fire rules in the BBB. Besides, the Fish bocks assaults, as well - saved my hide during the last game against Orks, when a Skimmer wall held an angry ob of Waaaghbikers at bay
True but the BBB is the 3rd edition rules which doesn't apply to 4th Ed you need the BGB (Big grey book). But if a skimmer moves more then 6" I believe (IIRC) that the offloading troops cannot shoot.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2008, 15:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, my rulebook is black and grey .

Disembarking from a vehicle always counts as "moving", no matter the distance the vehicle moved (if any); that`s the only thing that could hinder shooting. There is no such a thing as "not shooting after (voluntary) disembarking"-rule. Only a unit with 100% heavy weapons wouldn`t be able to shoot
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2008, 16:36   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Ok so most of what I posted has been clarified.

Decoy Launchers save your Bacon - Check.

SMS = 4 shots - Check.

Skimmers do NOT land to disembark troop - Check.

XV8s can fire 1 shot from a rapid fire weapon if they move, not 2 - Check.

So the only contested question has been ... can FWs that deploy from a 'Fish rapid fire 2 shots each at 12" or 1 shot at 36" .. or is it counted 'as if they moved' (meaning only firing 1 shot within 12")?
Lord Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2008, 16:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to shaso kunas

they count as if they moved

and te XV'8's can fire 2 weapons whether they move or not. number of shots doesn't come into it

kunas
shaso kunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2008, 17:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Roke
XV8s can fire 1 shot from a rapid fire weapon if they move, not 2 - Check.
No, that is a 3rd Edition. Crisis Suits can fire their rapid fire weapons however they wish whether they move or not. That's what the stabilisation system does. Normal infantry can fire one shot up to their full range when their stationary or two shots at 12", and if they move they can fire twice at 12".

Quote:
So the only contested question has been ... can FWs that deploy from a 'Fish rapid fire 2 shots each at 12" or 1 shot at 36" .. or is it counted 'as if they moved' (meaning only firing 1 shot within 12")?
Disembarking always counts as moving for shooting purposes, depending on when they disembark dictates whether the unit can move and assault, but they can still fire 2 shots at 12" though with Pulse Rifles.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2008, 13:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Bone(saw and guard)- I feel like a dummy I always thought BBB was Big Battle Book, and I've been wondering for quite some time what the G was for.

For decoy launchers, the probability for destroying a fast moving skimmer with a hit drops from 6/18 to 4/18. Every little bit helps, especially for x pts.
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2008, 01:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Just to clerify the whole XV-8 Firing:

Crisis Suits and Stealthsuits are "Stable Firing Platforms." They can move and fire Rapid Fire weapons as if they had remained stationary. This means that, after moving, you can fire your Plasma Rifle once at 24", or twice if your target is within 12".

Just an interesting tidbit, its possible that Heavy Weapons will be included into this rule when the 5th edition rulebook comes out. Its just a rumor right now, but great if it comes to fruition.
FaithTruthWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote