Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sway me from the space marines!
Old 18 Feb 2008, 14:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Sway me from the space marines!

Hey, thinking of starting either Tau or Space Marines, at the moment i like both sets of models a lot, but i have the SM Codex and not the Tau one. Well actauly i got the Tau Codex soon after it first came out and then almost a year later, when i wanted to have a look at it, i couldn't find it and haven't found it since. :P
I'm looking for a cheap army (money-wise) so i was wondering how effective elite/mech-elite tau are and what sort of models i'm looking for.
MalusHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2008, 15:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Sway me from the space marines!

If cash is your big problem then about three crisis suits (about $20 a piece) and a stealth team (about $40 for a full squad) will fill up your elite spot. All tau tanks have almost all the same parts. If you buy a hammer head or sky ray (about $40), with magnets you can convert it into a devil fish, saving you money on transports. Add on a couple broadsides (about $35 a piece) and that should make up your heavy support. Two full squads of fire warriors should about cover your troops (about $35 a piece). Tack on a commander (about $25) and that's mostly everything you need. About $250 and you have a decent 1200-2000 point army, depending on wargear. DARN IT!! There is no way to make warhammer sound inexpensive, no matter what you do! >

cruton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2008, 15:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

haha! don't worry no-one possibly could ;D anyway, thanks for the info. however i'm english, so i'm not sure how much $250's is in pounds but using your suggested units i think it's about (how stupid, there isn't a pound sign on the ps3's screen key board :P ) 160 pounds.
Old 18 Feb 2008, 17:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

125. The dollar has a 2:1 conversion rate =)
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2008, 17:19   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

First of all do you mean "elite" as actual elite choices on the force organization chart?
Or
Do you mean "elite" as in a small fighting force of highly skilled warriors (a la few models that cost a lot of points and little cash and time spent painting the minis)?
bcn5021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2008, 18:41   #6 (permalink)
SGS
Shas'La

"If I was you"--- Make a SM list and a Tau list(500pt?, 1000pt?, 1500pt?). Use he store's codex and get some help from someone there. Or find a sample army list here on the forums that you like or can taylor to your liking. Price out the models that you need for each. Use GWs online store for prices, or if you have an independent retailer, they may give you a prefered price if you purchase everything at once. The battleforce of each army is a good deal and a good starting point, even if it has some things you don't want, you need most of it. Now you know what each army will cost. SM are a little easier to start, as they are somewhat forgiving (tactics wise). Also it is a little faster, and easier to paint Space Marines. Read ALL the tutorials and sample army lists (both armys)on there forums before buying anything. Don't buy anything untill you are sure whitch army you want. Ebay is also a good place to get GW stuff. Get everything from one seller so you can combine shipping.

Sale or trade DE wyches, Wood Elf Waywatchers, and more: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,92810.0.html
SGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2008, 20:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

primary reason people shy away from space marines: 80% of all armies are marines of some sort or another.

I'm proud of being a tan-ish vomit-brown colored sheep!

rawr
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2008, 20:55   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ok, thanks Circus.

I mean as in a small elite fighting force.

okey-doke, thanks.

ha, no, i think the reason i'm shying from sm's is 'cause i think i prefer the look of tau, and i kinda like how they're related to modern warfare in that they don't think close combat is the right way to go about it.
Old 18 Feb 2008, 21:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

If you prefer the look of the Tau, take Tau. They aren't as forgiving as Marines but they're perfectly usable without the difficulties you might find with something like Dark Eldar.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2008, 21:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

i would say if you are more of beginner, go marines, if not, go for tau. Tau are a bit harder but more rewarding in my opinion

C:\Users\Samuel\Pictures\SINDRI.jpg
fattyboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote