Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Online's Codex
Old 15 Feb 2008, 20:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Tau Online's Codex

So- I'm swamped with work, up to my gills in it. All my projects have been put on hold such as my new book and Project Tau itself. So, I haven't read a very interesting post in a while and thought I would just try a topic i think everyone would find interesting.

Codex Tau- TO style.

There are so many interesting individuals on this site who have so many unique methods of trying to improve their gaming, so lets try to make our own version of the Codex.

I think we should keep it true to the scheme of the Tau- so no close combat firewarrior squad.

Anyway- I recommend that you make only one entry, and it can be an addition to the already established things you can take in the codex. Cool idea?
Old 15 Feb 2008, 21:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Tau Online's Codex

Can I do a piece arguing against everybody's favorite suit the fireknife? Or, more generally, an argument for specialized crisis suits rather than jack-of-all-trades configurations?
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2008, 21:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

... i guess? Or you could just do an entry.
Old 15 Feb 2008, 22:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok

Well, I recall tanka trunk driver made a great article that basiclly made 80% of fireknive user vomit at thir use of fire knifes...Also, I havn't seen that many fire knife's in a few years.

I have an idea on a unit that I should be done with tommorow.
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
T pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2008, 07:26   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by T pok
Well, I recall tanka trunk driver made a great article that basiclly made 80% of fireknive user vomit at thir use of fire knifes
I am using fireknifes because they fill a niche in my army; Flexible fire support. They have the dakka and they have the weapon for whatever I need them to do. I do not listen to the Deathrain-Fireknife arguments for my gaming area makes twin-linked high Ap (4 and above) weapons very redundant so I still go with the Fireknife.

I have to admit that the Deathrain is a good configuration though.

@knightperson
Actually the favourite suit these days are the deathrains and I believe that now they outnumber the fireknifes by a small margin. SO if you want to argue about veryone's favoutie suit you have to do why you should not take deathrains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2008, 09:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

One choice!?! Ah well, I suppose it would get cramped and overly-large then.

Well, if it comes down to Drones and Suits, I guess my favorite piece of home-brewed materials would be the XV-0 Battlesuits(slightly modified since first conceived). Here are the rules, and the attached armory.

[table][tr][td] [/td][td]Cost[/td][td]Ws[/td][td]Bs[/td][td]S[/td][td]T[/td][td]W[/td][td]I[/td][td]A[/td][td]Ld[/td][td]Sv[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Shas'La[/td][td]10[/td][td]*[/td][td]*[/td][td]*[/td][td]*[/td][td]*[/td][td]*[/td][td]*[/td][td]*[/td][td]5+[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Shas'Ui[/td][td]+10[/td][td]*[/td][td]*[/td][td]*[/td][td]*[/td][td]*[/td][td]*[/td][td]*[/td][td]*[/td][td]5+[/td][/tr][/table]
*'s indicate information I cannot post. Use the same stats as those found for a Fire Warrior.
Team: 3-9 Shas’La
Type: Infantry
Options: One Shas'La may be upgraded to a Shas'Ui at +10 points.
Equipment: Each team member is equipped with a XV-0 Battlesuit, and must select upto three Battlesuit Weapon Systems or Support Systems from the XV-0 Armory. The Shas’La has access to the XV-0 Wargear.
Troops Choice

XV-0 Battlesuit Armory
[table]
[tr][td]Weaponry[/td][td]Cost[/td][td]Support Systems[/td][td]Cost[/td][td]Wargear[/td][td]Cost[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Flamer[/td][td]*[/td][td]AdditionalVectored Thrusters[/td][td]5(Requires Jump Pack)[/td][td]Hard-Wired. Black Sun Filter[/td][td]*[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Markerlight[/td][td]*[/td][td]A.S.S.[/td][td]*[/td][td]H.W. Drone Controller[/td][td]*[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Pulse Blaster[/td][td]2/3[/td][td]Auxiliary Thrusters[/td][td]5(Requires Jump Pack)[/td][td]Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker[/td][td]*[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Pulse Carbine[/td][td]4/6[/td][td]Black Sun Filter[/td][td]*[/td][td]Hard-Wired Target Lock[/td][td]*[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Pulse Rifle[/td][td]4/6[/td][td]Camo Generator[/td][td]5[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Rail Rifle[/td][td]10/15[/td][td]Extra Armor[/td][td]5[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][td][/td][td]Jump Pack[/td][td]5[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][td][/td][td]Jet-Pack[/td][td]5(Requires Jump Pack)[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][td][/td][td]Multi-Tracker[/td][td]*[/td][td]Com. Suite[/td][td]10[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][td][/td][td]Shield Generator[/td][td]*[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][td][/td][td]Targeting Array[/td][td]*[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][td][/td][td]Target Lock[/td][td]*[/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]
*'s indicate information I cannot post. Use the same stats as those found for a XV-8's Armory.
Another quick note: I have left out drones on purpose. I love the things, but I feel it should be added at a later time. That, and I'm still trying to figure out how to set up configurable drones without setting up a new section all-to itself, while at the same time, not listing every single drone.

Light Carbine
This is a hybrid of Tau and Gue’Vesa re-engineering of the Pulse Carbine. By taking out the under-slung grenade launcher, the weapon is able to fire at targets over longer distances, as well as have a higher rate of fire. However, one of the side effects is that it lacks the stopping power of the Pulse Carbine and Pulse Rifle.
Range: 24” Strength: 3 AP: 5 Assault 2

[b]Pulse Carine[b]
Range: 18" Strength: 4 AP: 5 Assault 2

Rail Rifle
Identical in every way as those used by Tau Pathfinders. The Target-Lock is not part of the Rail Rifle.

AdditionalAuxiliary Thrusters
By attaching more vents, the character is able to maneuver quickly one way or another. When determing assault results, the Tau player may make a Leadership test. If successful, the Tau are the losers of the combat(even if they would won), and may roll an additional d6 for the purposes of Sweeping Advances. If the Leadership test is failed, combat is resolved normally. If the Tau player rolled higher for Sweeping Advance, the Tau unit will fall back 3d6" as normal, but in a direction of the player's choice. The enemy unit may consolidate d6" as though performing a Sweeping Advance.

Auxiliary Thrusters
By attaching multiple landing retro-thrusters, the Tau Battlesuits are better-able to control how, when, and where they land. For this reason, they confer the Skilled Rider USR to the model. If one model takes this, all models in the same unit must(free for drones)

Advanced Stabilization System
This is a scaled-down version the Empire uses, but also applies to Rapid-Fire weaponry. If purchased, drones in the unit gain the benefit for Rapid-Fire weaponry only, and not Heavy weaponry. If one model takes this, all models in the same unit must(free for drones)

Camo Field Generator
This piece of equipment is a downgraded Stealth Field Generator. It allows the user to blend in with the surroundings, granting the model the “Stealth” USR. If one model takes this, all models in the same unit must(free for drones).

Communications Suite
The Shas'ui has a personal connection to the Commander, able to bolster his leadership abilities. As long as the Shas'Uihas Line of Sight to either a Commander with a Communications Suite, or a model with a Positional Relay, this team may re-roll any failed Morale tests.

Extra Armor
Extra Armor allows the save of the XV-0 Battlesuits to become 4+. However, it cannot be used with a Jump Pack, or any piece of equipment which requires a Jump Pack.

Jump Pack
This is the analog to the Jump Packs the Space Marines use. Not as advanced as the packs found on the Battlesuits of the Empire, it allows the unit to gain the Jump Infantry (Jet Pack) type. If one model takes this, all models in the same unit must(free for drones).

Jet Pack
This is an addition to the Jump Pack. By allowing more control to the user, the user may fire weapons accurately while in the air. The unit gains the Jump Infantry (Jet Pack) type. This may only be selected if each model already has the Jump Pack. If one model takes this, all models in the same unit must(free for drones).

Multi-Tracker
This allows a model to fire two weapons in a single turn. It can be used to fire a Twin-Linked weapon as though it weren't Twin-Linked. This counts as firing two weapons.

Shield Generator
This is a mini Shield Generator almost identical to those used on Crisis Suits. However, it only provides a 5+ invulnerable save.

[i]Edit: Sorry about the long post. Do we have any "Spoiler" or "SBlock" coding(ie the forum will hide it under a button. When you click the button, it shows the hidden text. For example:
[sblock]TEXT[/sblock], or [spoiler]TEXT[/spoiler]. And sorry about the long post! Some(hopefully good) fluff coming on the way, but I've had about enough coding on the forum for one night(started about 2100 on the 15th. It's currently 0200 on the 16th...)
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2008, 16:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

mmm Maybe I could do my Tallerian dog soldier squad for extra troop choise. or maybe my Gue'vesa sentinel.

both could be a welcome addition.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2008, 18:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Pathfinder "Flying Fish" Jetbike

[table]
[tr]
[td]--[/td]
[td]Cost[/td]
[td]WS[/td]
[td]BS[/td]
[td]S[/td]
[td]T[/td]
[td]W[/td]
[td]I[/td]
[td]A[/td]
[td]Ld[/td]
[td]Sv.[/td]

[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Shas'la[/td]
[td]30[/td]
[td]2[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]3 (4)[/td]
[td]1[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]1[/td]
[td]7[/td]
[td]3+[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Shas'ui[/td]
[td]+10[/td]
[td]2[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]3 (4)[/td]
[td]1[/td]
[td]1[/td]
[td]2[/td]
[td]8[/td]
[td]3+[/td][/tr][/table]

Unit Size: 3 to 6 bikes
Type: Jetbike
Equipment: Each member of the team is equipped with a built-in Markerlight and an underslung Pulse Rifle.
Options:
-One member of the squad may be upgraded to a Shas'ui for +10 points. This gives him or her access to wargear.
-Up to two members of the team (excluding the Shas'ui) may replace their Markerlight and Pulserifle assembly with a Rail Rifle at an additional 15 points each. Note that this Railfifle does not come equipped with a Target Lock. The Pathfinders must concentrate on piloting as well as shooting, and cannot turn to fire upon other targets easily.

Special Rules:
Careful Targeting
The precise nature of both the Markerlights and the Rail Rifles carried by these models means that they must take careful aim with them before shooting, especially considering the speed of the bikes. If any members of the squad fire Markerlights or Railrifles during the shooting phase, they may not make an additional move in the assault phase, nor may they charge into combat.
Scout
The Flying Fish jetbikes follow the Universal Scout rules, as detailed in the main 40K rulebook.

Description: Flying Fish are compact jetbikes piloted by experienced Tau pathfinders. They are a relatively new development in the Tau's forces, having just finished field testing, and were created as an offshoot of the successful Tetra light speeder, which is able to mark targets for Seeker missiles and other weapons while remaining on the move, a boon for the normally static Pathfinders.

Wargear
H.W. Blacksun filter
H.W. Multitracker
H.W. Targeting Array

Hopefully I'll have a model up sometime.

EDIT: I love the additional thrusters, Tralfager. That's awesome!
Old 16 Feb 2008, 19:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to shishimay

well, since I wanna contribute and have already done the conversions I might as well contribute my

Extra heavy weapon drones

Flamer drone points WS BS S T W I A LD SV
20 2 3 3 4 1 4 1 8 4+

Squadron: The squadron numbers from 2 to 6 extra heavy weapon drones with only one ion drone being allowed which counts as 2 drones (may not be taken by itself as a squadron)

Unit type: Jump Infantry(Jet pack)

Equipment: twin linked flamers

plasma drone points WS BS S T W I A LD SV
42 2 3 3 4 1 4 1 8 4+

Squadron: The squadron numbers from 2 to 6 drones with only one ion drone being allowed which counts as 2 drones (may not be taken by itself as a squadron)

Equipment: Twin linked Plasma rifles.

Fusion drone points WS BS S T W I A LD SV
30 2 3 3 4 1 4 1 8 4+

Squadron: The squadron numbers from 2 to 6 drones with only one ion drone being allowed which counts as 2 drones (may not be taken by itself as a squadron)

Equipment: Twin linked Fusion Blasters

Missile drone points WS BS S T W I A LD SV
45 2 3 3 4 1 4 1 8 4+

Equipment: Twin linked smart missile system.

Ion drone points WS BS S T W I A LD SV
67 2 3 3 4 1 4 1 8 4+

Equipment: Twin linked Missile pods and an Ion cannon

hope I haven't violated any rules and here are the pics:http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j4...ersion%20pics/

and for the new Ion drone:http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j4...s/ion%20drone/

NOBODY expects the tau rail rifle drones!
Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise....
Our two weapons are fear and surprise... and ruthless efficiency....
Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...
and an almost fanatical devotion to the greater good....
Our four... no...
Amongst our weapons... Amongst our weaponry...
are such elements as fear, surprise...
I'll choose another unit...
shishimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2008, 00:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

cool concept- I would just add some things of Firewarriors.

-Shield Drones: one shield drone gives 6+ cover save, two gives them a 5+

-Hunter-killer drone grenades (from firewarrior): Heavy 1, can be given to the Team Leader or Shas'ui for 5 pts. Range 18 (does not require line of sight) strength 4 AP 3 blast.

-Improved Comm uplink: (5pts) If a Shas'El or 'O is within 24'' the Tau unit can reroll a leadership check.

-Hit and Fade Recon Team: A unit of 8-12 Firewarriors in a Devilfish. 5+ armor save, must have a markerlight for the team leader. They have field craft.