Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battlesuits
Old 15 Feb 2008, 16:43   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Battlesuits

Hopefully someone can help me out here... what are the physical differences between a standard crisis battlesuit and the commander issue one? Just wondering because I'm trying to build a Tau army, and I'm hoping to save myself some cash by picking up a battle force box set and just modifying the battlesuit that comes with it to be my commander. Thoughts?
palefire72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2008, 16:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Battlesuits

The differace between the commander box and the crisis box is a few metal bitz, it's up to you do decide what separates your commander from regular suits.

When I started in third edition, that was the only choice. You modified a regular suit for your commander because there wasn't a boxed set back then.

here are some examples.

http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?t=5076

and that's just heads, there's a variety of conversions for the torso, jet pack, and legs as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2008, 16:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

The only thing that's really any different on a command or bodyguard XV88 is the head (and conversions on those are fairly simple to do... i've done several types myself)
The Gear Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2008, 18:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to BKZer0

The commander also comes with some other small accessories such as weapons like the cyclic ion buster and such.
Desert Base Tutorial
BKZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2008, 07:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to halohog

I'm suprised no one noted the key point:

Only get 1 Crisis HQ suit!

The only different things are the special issue weapons and the spare heads. As you can only have one special issue weapon per army, you are much better off getting standard crisis suits as opposed to more commander boxes. Of course, if the crisis HQ box was ever the same price (which is... unlikely...) it may be worth getting another. But be careful on that one.
Old 16 Feb 2008, 09:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Basically, the difference is non-existent. No one can force you to actually use those shitty metal heads, and most people I know choose to use the colour scheme to distinguish between Commander and normal Suits.

Another way are either conversions (one of my first Commanders stood atop a fallen Marine, another one of mine is crouching atop a ruin), or Forgeworld models (Shas`O R`Myr is my current Commander).

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2008, 19:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I found that alot of people put their Tau Commander in a flight pose. In other words they use a drone flying base so it looks like he is flying. It gives him some more spotlight.
Old 16 Feb 2008, 20:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yeah, the only thing that differentiates the Commander's battlesuit from a normal Crisis is normally the style of the head.

The XV8 Commander box contains two different style heads (both metal), and also contains 4 special-issue wargear items (Cyclic Ion Blaster, Airbursting Fragmentation Projector, Command & Control Node, Positional Relay). I'd suggest buying one of these boxes for the weapons alone.

Of course, the sky's the limit if you want to put a real custom spin on your commanders. I've gone as far as writing fluff behind my two Tau commanders; making them twin brothers who split apart, one training under Farsight, the other under Shadowsun, then coming back together and combining the unique styles of battle into one army.

As you can guess, I often play a hybrid list.
FaithTruthWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2008, 01:15   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

If you want to save money, just mount it higher than the rest of your army, with a slightly different colour scheme. No one will call you out for it, and it's not worth the extra money for one or two shiny bits that are seldom used anyway. (exept for the cycilic ion blaster, that's almost worth it, but not quite)
Old 17 Feb 2008, 07:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I apparantly am the only Tau player who find the Relay and AFP to be useful. I also fight ALOT of eldar( with pathfinders and their annoying 2+ cover saves), so the AFP is useful to me. And being able to reliably deepstrike a unit on the 2nd turn with pathfinders is way too cool. For me.
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote