Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Novelty Color Scheme
Old 15 Feb 2008, 09:12   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Halcyon
Default Novelty Color Scheme

My one main attraction to the tau has always been their mecha orientated style. Everything about them screams giant robot anime to me!
To be honest I'm not fussed at all with any of the normal colour schemes... And I grew up watching giant mecha anime's my whole life. So i'm considering creating my own colour scheme as a novelty paint job so i can reminisce about past times.
However I want to kind of stick to a tau like look.

So does anyone have any suggestions?
I'm thinking of doing maybe an Eva-00 or Eva-01 themed army... Or perhaps going even further back to Robotech and doing a themed army similar to either Max or Rick's VF's?
Old 15 Feb 2008, 15:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987
Default Re: Novelty Color Scheme

I know what you mean. I first started playing around when FMP! came out, and wanted to make a few suits based around that. And I think it would be interesting. I'm not a big fan of Evagelion, but Robotech is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2008, 15:48   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Which EVA-00 ... the Orange/White/Black or the Sky Blue/White/Black? ANd is the EVA-01 the Purple/Green/Black that Shinji rode it?

I think any of those themes would work good with the Tau, especially the battle suits! Be sure to post pictures whne you decide on a scheme~!

I've seen (in these forums I think) a battle suit that was painted like a Gundam Battlesuit (with wings and all!!).
Lord Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2008, 21:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I agree that most of the example color schemes are either boring or just plain ugly. There's nothing to stop you from making your own, though. My tau, in general, are light green inner or soft parts, with a deeper green armor shell over that. Weaponry, antennae, and similar accessories are left the black of primer, with up to half of the important parts silver. Team leaders and commanders get gold instead of silver, and I've got metallic copper on railguns, ion cannons, and smart missiles. The vehicles are painted with a rather loud, I admit, 3 color "moving camo" scheme. I modeled the pattern after snakes that have lines running the length of the body (hard to resolve ends when it's moving) mixed with blotches for stationary concealment.

I have about a week left to get pictures of this up on my Monthly Vow page, so check there in a few days if you want examples. Primary colors are GW chaos black, then Testors light green, beret green, gunship grey, silver, gold, and copper.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2008, 21:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to fat_tree

novelty colour scheme aye, well you could go for a harlequin scheme
fat_tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2008, 17:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'd like to see someone do something with hardcore realistic paintjobs, like making them run oil from the joints and be mud-splattered, scraped and the like. Weathering and hard service, like a WWII tank or something. Using camo paint, then adding grit, oil, some rust...

Kroot would look great if you gave a few of them gore (see Ogre Kingdoms Butchers on the website for making really good gore) and made them really dirty from being commandos.

Slogging through brush and dirt for ages, that's a great look.
Old 16 Feb 2008, 20:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behdini
I'd like to see someone do something with hardcore realistic paintjobs, like making them run oil from the joints and be mud-splattered, scraped and the like. Weathering and hard service, like a WWII tank or something. Using camo paint, then adding grit, oil, some rust...

Kroot would look great if you gave a few of them gore (see Ogre Kingdoms Butchers on the website for making really good gore) and made them really dirty from being commandos.

Slogging through brush and dirt for ages, that's a great look.
A fair number of players do weather their larger models, particularly tanks. Several of the paintings in the tau codex show battle damage too, particularly nicks in the armor plates of the crisis suits. I went with an unrealistically clean look to my guys because I was more interested in them looking cool than looking real. And, might as well admit it, because weathering and battle damage would be hard to paint!
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Feb 2008, 21:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ironically enough, all of my Tau are painted in Gundam colors. My XV8's, Fire Warrirs, and Tanks have the classic Red/White/Blue/Gold, while my Stealthsuits are painted in Zaku colors. A couple of my converted commanders feature color schemes of other special Gundams, like Epyon and what-not.
FaithTruthWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote