Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

how big an army?
Old 14 Feb 2008, 23:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to shishimay
Default how big an army?

I am loving the tau right now, but I've always loved 'nids and necrons and fully intend on collecting complete armies of all of em. I just don't know how many points to collect before I begin on a new army. I currently have a 1000point- 1200point army but am DYING to collect necrons.

I'm thinking a 2000point army...just like to hear some other peoples opinions.

NOBODY expects the tau rail rifle drones!
Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise....
Our two weapons are fear and surprise... and ruthless efficiency....
Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...
and an almost fanatical devotion to the greater good....
Our four... no...
Amongst our weapons... Amongst our weaponry...
are such elements as fear, surprise...
I'll choose another unit...
shishimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2008, 02:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default Re: how big an army?

1500-2000 points is the average I collect to.
It allows me to have options while playing 1500 point games or to have a grand melêe with everything.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2008, 03:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I kinda overdid it with my Tau. I've probably got close to 4,000 points (if not more), and its only recently that I've forced myself to start collecting Dark Eldar.
FaithTruthWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2008, 11:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

1,500 seems to be the magic number as it's what most people play, but for anything other than Necrons I'd recommend starting out at 500 and then working up in chunks of 500. The reason I wouldn't recommend it for the 'Crons is because in a 500 point list you'll basically just want Warriors so you have a decent phase out count, so you don't actually get to run any of the cool stuff that makes the army interesting.

If you tailor a list to 1,000 you'll do quite well too, because a lot of players build 1,500 points and can't really cope with cutting it down for a battle because they're so used to all the elements of their 1,500pt list running around.

In the future I'll probably only collect individual armies to 1,000, because it's a tighter environment and people can't always cope in it. Larger games tend to be Apocalypse so you can then blend. But this is mainly because I want an army of everything eventually and if I go to 1,500-2,000 points my wallet will weep.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2008, 13:26   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Most the games in my area are 1750 pts games, but generally the players would collect up to at least 2000 pts just to have more options.

However I overdone it quite spectacularly with my Tau, for it is around 3500 pts points worth of Mech Tau. That's why I stopped with My tau and initially go or my Mech Death Guard before I noticed that I am also overdoing my Death Guard (around the same total points as my Tau or more). Now I am trying to get my 2000 Mech SOB + uncertain amount of points Inquisition army up and running. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2008, 13:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

1,750 seems such a bizarre points value to me. Before coming to TO it never occurred to me that people would play to that.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2008, 14:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

well Initial thoughts would be to kinda hit in the middle, so I'll probably go with vyper ^^;

we shall, thanks though... I'll probably get shadowsun, pathfinders and more crisis suits.

then the tomb worlds shall be ripped open in time for the necrons =D

but this will still take a while since I'm 13 and get £7 a week >.> of course I can con money out of my dad soon since he said I would get to visit my sister in law (she has cancer so I really wanted to see her and stuff) but he couldn't get flights T.T

I'm stuck between getting DMC4 or more warhammer X_X on that note my brother still owes me a Christmas present... oh well. thanks for the response ^^;

Our four... no...
Old 15 Feb 2008, 14:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to BKZer0

Here is what I did.

I sat down one day with the new Tau codex, a calculator, and a piece of paper, and I made my ideal 2500 point army as that is the biggest army I will ever play with. I tweaked it around a little bit until I was happy. I was left with a detailed model list of what I wanted to get. i.e. 4 Squads of 12 firewarriors, 3 rail hammerheads etc...

After that I made a 2000, 1000, and a 500 point army list. the only catch with that was that I made sure that the smaller armies used only units that I had already incorporated into my larger army. For example, my 1000 point army couldn't have 6 crisis suits, if my larger armies only had 3. That would me that I had 3 extraneous models.

When I decided to actually build the army I worked in reverse. I built my 500 point army first, then I incorporated them into my 1000, and so on.

I personally think that future planning like this saved a lot of money with buying models that I am not necessarily use for all circumstances.
Desert Base Tutorial
BKZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2008, 14:49   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Circus
1,750 seems such a bizarre points value to me. Before coming to TO it never occurred to me that people would play to that.
The reason why we play 1750 pts is because it is more or less the people do not really like to play too huge a game here (1850 pts-2000pts), but yet do not want to be constrained by the smaller 1500 pts game.

As for the others players here who also play 1750 pts games, I have no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2008, 18:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKZer0
Here is what I did.

I sat down one day with the new Tau codex, a calculator, and a piece of paper, and I made my ideal 2500 point army as that is the biggest army I will ever play with. I tweaked it around a little bit until I was happy. I was left with a detailed model list of what I wanted to get. i.e. 4 Squads of 12 firewarriors, 3 rail hammerheads etc...

After that I made a 2000, 1000, and a 500 point army list. the only catch with that was that I made sure that the smaller armies used only units that I had already incorporated into my larger army. For example, my 1000 point army couldn't have 6 crisis suits, if my larger armies only had 3. That would me that I had 3 extraneous models.

When I decided to actually build the army I worked in reverse. I built my 500 point army first, then I incorporated them into my 1000, and so on.

I personally think that future planning like this saved a lot of money with buying models that I am not necessarily use for all circumstances.
already have that right up to the 5000 mark XD

I just didn't know what to limit my army at.

Our four... no...