Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question on LOS to Skimmers? My Skimmers are dying to Know!
Closed Thread
Old 10 Apr 2005, 20:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Question on LOS to Skimmers? My Skimmers are dying to Know!

Where I play, they say skimmer don't block LOS. Ok, I am good so far. FOF and all. But then they add that since it is a skimmer, no matter how big the terrain, my opponent can shoot at any of my skimmer since they float over the terrain. I have tried to say that it(my HH or DF) is behind a building that does physically cover my model so there is no LOS. BUT I lose the argument.

IS there some thing I can say to convice them other wise or am I wrong on this one? Because there is a part in the rule book that says "skimmer can fly over terrain or just a few feet off the ground)

I am getting shot out of the sky and am currently having to go static.

Please any help would be good

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 10 Apr 2005, 20:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer
Default Re: Question on LOS to Skimmers? My Skimmers are dying to Know!

I've always played it size 2 or 3 (ish) terrain blocks LOS to skimmers until they fly on top of it, I'm sure this is the case but you'll have to wait for someone else for a page ref. :
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 10 Apr 2005, 21:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

behind terrain you ok but if ur on terrain you float above it unless take a difficult terrain test to be in cover... i think
[color=Green] How Abbadon got his hax.
[COLOR=DarkOrange]I wish my grass was emo... then it would cut itself.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 21:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Page 61.

Skimmers may end their move over terrain, and as such will not gain benefit from being obscured. That's only if you end your move over terrain. If you end your move behind terrain, you are still obscured just like any other vehicle.

Also, about skimmers and line of sight - Skimmer do not block line of sight to other units; However, units/terrain still block line of sight to skimmers.

In order for those people to be right - you would have had to claim that you're ending your move "hovering above terrain." You were not, as you can still move behind terrain to use it to block line of sight, so long as it is an equal size of 3 for total blockage (size 2 for cover, ie hull down).
Old 12 Apr 2005, 14:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thanks for the page MalV.

This local club does not seem to like skimmers at all, I have tried that argument but they insist that I am trying to play by 3rd Edition. Now with this page (61) I'll do some reading and see how they like it.

My skimmers are fair game from anywhere, even from lvl 3 terrain. So, I have had to go static, with only one HH starting hull down. So if you find anything else that I can use to prove my point, please let me know.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 12 Apr 2005, 14:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Remember also that they don't block LOS, so units can shoot "past" them to other units and only other skimmers of the same size will block to other skimmers. At least that's the way we figured it...
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 12 Apr 2005, 15:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Another important point to remember. In 4th edition, the only terrain pieces that have size classifications (1, 2, 3) are area terrain. Anything that is not area terrain (a rock, a building, etc) does NOT have a size classification, and uses model's eye view to determine LoS. I've had people at tournaments try to discuss with me before a game what size classification this boulder is, or what size that hill is. If it's not area terrain, it doesn't have a size classification and uses model's eye view to determine LoS! Therefore, anything that is NOT area terrain and is large enough to physically hide your model will block LoS to a skimmer. Also, as Mal said, placing your Skimmer BEHIND size 3 area terrain will also block LoS. The only time skimmers are considered to be "flying high", is if they are hovering OVER area terrain... at which point they cannot claim cover from that piece of terrain. They can still claim cover from OTHER pieces of terrain, however.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 12 Apr 2005, 15:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to RedMagnus

Actually I believe the rule is that they can end a move in difficult terrain without taking a Danger test if they sacrifice their Hull Down. LoS still applies as normal.
You SHOULD be able to bring you skimmer up to a great hight tho, so it has LOS to everything but everything can see it. Sadly that's not a rule...

Yeah, I play WoW. So sue me.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 16:52   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

You don't really want hull down anyway. It's weaker than it used to be and moving fast is always better protection. It should only matter on the first turn, and you have the option to start the game landed so you can still get hull down behind lower terrain.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 16:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to RedMagnus

Unless you can move 12" into position hull down!

Yeah, I play WoW. So sue me.
Closed Thread