Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau accessories ?
Old 11 Feb 2008, 11:33   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Tau accessories ?

A small but prickly question. ???

Do Tau carry any provisions / extra war gear to & on the battlefield IE extra ammo, field rations, special equipment? ( something similar to
what the U.S / British modern forces use )
lillian1364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2008, 11:46   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Tau accessories ?

Most likely, yes.

Whilst Hunter Cadres should have ready access to supplies via Devilfish, Orca Dropships and so on, it would be tactically foolish to send them into battle under the assumption they will always be able to fall back and resupply safely. As such, all Firewarriors are going to carry additional ammo and grenades, plus most likely basic supplies and medical equipment.

My guess would be something like the following:

Primary weapon (Rifle / Carbine).
Primary weapon reloads.
Secondary weapon (Pulse Pistol).
Secondary weapon reloads.
Grenades (Photon / EMP).
First aid kit.
Water flask(s).
Field ration(s).
Emergency survival kit, containing distress beacon, knife, wire for trap making, etc.

For extended duty, additional equipment is likely to be added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2008, 15:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Isnt the pulse pistol (I.E. the secondary weapon) only for non combat personell in warzones or people that need a really light weapon to remain under cover???
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2008, 18:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

IA3 has a really good breakdown of additional gear a Tau might find his/herself taking into battle, including a water condensor (self-refilling canteen), EMP/Photon grenade packs, various pouches for rations/powercells/GPS system, and some other gadgets and gizmos.

Surprisingly enough, however, IA3 made specific mention that Pulse Pistols are not normal kit, as it isn't likely a Tau operating in a desert environment would find his/herself at a close enough range to properly utilize one to begin with.

Pulse Pistols are likely reserved for tank crew, XV8 operators, Air Caste pilots, and Fire Warriors operating in MOUT/dense terrain.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2008, 19:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to ShasO KVor

The only time i've ever seen a Pulse Pistol is on the Spotter in a Sniper Drone Team, and on the Air Caste pilots\crew.
ShasO KVor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2008, 19:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

well, actually i would disagree with you.

i would imagine a fire warrior with these
- Primary weapon (pulse rifle or carbine)
- A few rounds of ammo
- Secondary Weapon (pulse pistol/Knife)
- Rations (including water and stuff)
- Medi Kit (if a 'ui)
- life beacon

i beleive that the squad would have the majoirty of their things in the devilfish.

The Tau ideal is based around unity and that if a source of supplies disappears, then the whole team pulls out taking what they can from the Wrecked Devil Fish.

but this is just my sense rubbed together
Old 11 Feb 2008, 21:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Warriorchris, you basically just said a condensed version of what Wargamer said, and Doombringer has GW approved evidence.

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Commander Songblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2008, 21:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Songblade
Warriorchris, you basically just said a condensed version of what Wargamer said, and Doombringer has GW approved evidence.
Hell, I'm confused as to what he's disagreeing with in the first place...

Nowhere did I say that Tau would be camping in the boonies or having to sustain themselves for weeks on end...

---

Warriorchris,

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorchris
- Medi Kit (if a 'ui)
Just as every U.S. Marine in battle carries an IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit), with dedicated Corpsmen carrying larger supplies/ranges of medical gear, you wouldn't have a 'Ui being the only Tau to carry some kind of field dressings/coagulants.

It's putting all of one's eggs in a single basket, if you will.

If the Shas'ui goes down without anyone noticing, and suddenly the squad takes a couple casualties, the entire squad is royally boned.

Just like in Fire Warrior, all Tau have access to some form of medical kit, up to and including 'medi-packs'; small dressings that clamp over a wound and fill it with medically treated biofoam to stop the bleeding, prevent infection, and promote healing. It's like super-neosporin or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorchris
beleive that the squad would have the majoirty of their things in the devilfish.

The Tau ideal is based around unity and that if a source of supplies disappears, then the whole team pulls out taking what they can from the Wrecked Devil Fish.
Unity does not override Common Sense and the Tau Empire's pragmatic, cautious, life-important outlook.

Granted there's likely to be a plethora of supplies of ammunition, rations, and water aboard the 'Fish - but that doesn't mean a Line Warrior wouldn't carry at least some of their equipment on his/her person in the event of a total catastrophe. You can't always guarantee you'd be able to 'pull out' in the thick of things, especially with no method of transportation other than your feet/hooves.

"Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance", as the saying goes, and failing to plan for such contingencies as a downed/destroyed transport and no way to survive/extract ones self from the fighting is unacceptable - especially with all the codex support that just about all Shas do when they aren't fighting is training and planning.

Example in part: When going out on walking or mounted patrols, Marines carry what we call a 'three-day/assault pack', which is (just as the name implies) a pack that can carry enough supplies, field-stripped MREs, and water to sustain a Marine in the field for up to three days.

Again, as per the Fire Warrior novel, all Line Warriors carry a small supply of j'hal nectar in their packs; a highly nutritious "energy soup" as La'Kais described it - (able to be consumed from a small tube inside the helmet) likely enough to sustain the Tau for a few rotaa while either awaiting extraction or on extended treks in the field.

We're not talking about carrying tents and surgical tables around, we're talking about enough gear to sustain a warrior in combat for a slightly extended period of time.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2008, 03:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Keep in mind, that as far back as Phillip of Macedon, marching with kit has been intrumental in physical fitness, as well as instilling the proper unit cohesion and respect for officers(well, atleast their authority) in infantry. I don't think the Tau are likely to not employ marching with full kit, as it's just so dern effective.
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Feb 2008, 09:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

ok, so maybe i was a little bit off, but as wargammer and doom bringer were saying at the start. i don't think they would carry enough equiptment to survive a week in the wild alone. ok, maybe they would have a few pain killers and a bit of water but that is all the medi kit would imagine they have