Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

hello? need some help here?......
Old 10 Feb 2008, 19:32   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default hello? need some help here?......

I need some help, people.I've decided to collect tau, but not sure what to get. would really appreciate some help. (Note, I'm aiming for 500pts for now, and my regular opponents are either eldar or space marines.)
Old 10 Feb 2008, 19:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to shishimay
Default Re: hello? need some help here?......

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmike45
I need some help, people.I've decided to collect tau, but not sure what to get. would really appreciate some help. (Note, I'm aiming for 500pts for now, and my regular opponents are either eldar or space marines.)
battleforce.

that gets you a decent force and saves ya 25

then depending on what you want to do buy heavy support...tau and eldar I would likely go for Hammerhead since ionhead is nice for marines and railhead is good for infantry (submunition)

you WILL need a hammerhead or a broadside for marines since sooner or lter that land raider is gonna come rumblin in.

NOBODY expects the tau rail rifle drones!
Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise....
Our two weapons are fear and surprise... and ruthless efficiency....
Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...
and an almost fanatical devotion to the greater good....
Our four... no...
Amongst our weapons... Amongst our weaponry...
are such elements as fear, surprise...
I'll choose another unit...
shishimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2008, 20:12   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

thanks i'll soon have an army ready for battle reports!
Old 10 Feb 2008, 20:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

not a problem my friend ^^

Our four... no...
Old 10 Feb 2008, 20:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

Whoa I'm confused.. you both have same avatar..

And yes, battleforce is good start for any new player

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2008, 02:01   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to General-Hoth

I agree, When I started I bought the battle force and I am happy I did, you might wanna spring for another crisis suit to or a crisis commander

"Respect is earned "
General-Hoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2008, 02:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Agreed on the hammerhead, but by a skyray kit instead. It has all the parts of the hammerhead, plus the skyray sprue, and it's the same price.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2008, 06:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The Tau Battleforce is one of the few boxes to include a unit that can count as an HQ (the Crisis suit). Its definitely a good starting point.

After that, invest in a Sky-Ray box. Its the same price as a Hammerhead, but gives you potentially three units in one - a Sky-Ray, Hammerhead, or a Devilfish, just so long as you don't glue the turrets and stuff.
FaithTruthWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2008, 22:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithTruthWisdom
The Tau Battleforce is one of the few boxes to include a unit that can count as an HQ (the Crisis suit). Its definitely a good starting point.

After that, invest in a Sky-Ray box. Its the same price as a Hammerhead, but gives you potentially three units in one - a Sky-Ray, Hammerhead, or a Devilfish, just so long as you don't glue the turrets and stuff.
on that note: learn how to use magnets

always helps with crisis suits and hammerhead...if you do you can use any combination of crisis weapons or skyray/ionhead/hammerhead/devilfish

just depends if you have the time ^^

and the crisis suit/commander is a good idea as well

but all in all: battleforce

it's probably the best battleforce out of all the races to be honest :-\

Our four... no...
Old 12 Feb 2008, 05:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm in a similar boat, having about 700-800 points and facing Eldar and CSM(thousand Sons!) on a regular basis. I learned that fielding two warfish is a good way to make your opponent think of you as an enemy. I don't know if it's over powered though, espcially in the face of my opponent choosing field of battle as objective, and planting 5 pathfinders in the central building of a city. Those 2+ save pathfinders are VERY resilent. The dire Avengers were relatively easy points, but I lost all my scoring troops, so I was unable to even dispute his jetbikes, who glides in for the win.

And I was the unfair one?!

I think next time I'll take two squads of 12 firewarriors, rather than the 2x6 /w warfish combo. I'll probably snag another deathrain and a thunderbolt(Shas'Vre /w Airbursting Grag, Twin-Linked flamers and Hardwide multi-tracker). See how he likes AP 5, ignore armor saves, and lots of template doom.

I'm going to need battlesuits to contest table quarters, looks like. My warfish, despite being very formidable, arn't scoring units, and 6 fire warriors die to easy. Can't wait for 1000 or 1500 points when I can drop out two squads of 12 and rapid fire a unit to death.

Against marines, I don't know what to tell you. I'd use Fireknives(Plasma Rifle and Missile Pod) and Helios(Fusion Blaster and Plasma rifle), but my closest opponent to Marines is Thousand sons, walking around with a 4+ inv save and AP3 bolters. So I ussually hide from those guys and just use lots of missile pods and Pulse Rifles. Unfortunately. And ussually, my firewarriors get picked off quickly.

But, against normal Marines, a 4+ save keeps firewarrior squads alive, and cover can help vs. heavy weapons(a 5+ cover save is better than nothing).

If you plan to go with alot of firewarriors, but no transport, I recommend throwing in Carbines. A 1:1 ratio of Pulse carbines in a unit of 12 allows you to advance and shoot. This can be useful, because it allows you to dodge to cover, and take objectives. I've only been playing Alpha missions lately, but objectives are ussually good ways to score VP, and not something I'd overlook. Stationary firewarriors have awesome firepower, but when you try to move them, their range shrinks signifigantly. And even at rapid fire close range(i.e 12") you can still get 18 S5AP5 shots out there, and some are even pinning! Making them roll the test is the only way they'll ever fail, even with Marines and Eldar.

I'd say atleast two teams of fire support in the form of warriors with pulse rifles(shas'ui for markerlight is handy, because they'll be standing still alot) around 10 strong, and 1 team of Carbine/Rifle troops(maybe 8 strong if you need the points, with bonding knife and Shas'ui). That's 380pts, leaving enough for a Shas'El and Shas'ui or Shas'vre battlesuit pair. You might not want to look at the "funky" stuff. A deathrain(twin-linked missile pod, black sun filter) shas'ui is only 43 pts, a fireknife or helios is 62 points. Both of those are excellent choices against Marines or Eldar. The Deathrain just drops plenty of high strength, and it's dead accurate(spending 7 points to swap the blacksun filter for trageting array is worth it, if you have the points).

Deathrains work well on just about everything, and have the ability to target alot of enemies. They are your dedicated fire support. Fireknives are generalists, capable of closing in on squads and raining punishment with rapid fire plasma and missiles, or standing back and providing support. I ussually make my Shas'el a fireknife, to take advantage of his higher ballistic skill. A twin linked weapon is handy sometimes, too, if the points are there. Helios are close-range combatants, using their plasma rifle as they close with heavy armor to blast it to slag in 12" range. I like the FB because it helps to keep terminators and vehicles honest. And marines CAN bring a Landraider to 500pts normal games(just barely, but they can do it), and if you don't have a fusion blaster or railgun handy, you're going to be run roughshod over. Landraiders ARE scoring units, and their weaponry is heavy enough to kill everything you have with ease.

Eldar can't really bring an uber tank at 500pts, but they can have bike riding Autarchs with power weapons and fusion guns, backed up by jetbike guardians. And those guys well be able to hunt your suits down with a ruthless efficiency.

Oh, and Warlocks, and striking scorpians(who can eat your rapid fire, charge in and kill you. Let's not forget the dark reapers and warp spiders. Swooping hawks are a bit of a threat to vehicles, but warfish can do a number on them. beware eldar speed. Jetbikes can be ontop of you almost immediately, and they're very good at staying alive(they can move, shoot, move in the assault phase if they don't assault) and bothering you the whole while.

A shuriken cannon can also effectively kill side and rears of vehicles. So watch out!
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote