Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Hybrid Tau Vs 2000 points (206 models) of orks help?
Old 08 Feb 2008, 02:37   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Hybrid Tau Vs 2000 points (206 models) of orks help?

Later this week I'm going to playing a couple games in a tournament and one of the guys I may play against will have a list like this.
Quote:
Warphead 85
Warphead 85

12 Lootas 180
12 Lootas 180
30 Slugga Boys[3 Rokkits, Nob w/ Powerklaw] 245
30 Slugga Boys[3 Rokkits, Nob w/ Powerklaw] 245
30 Shoota Boys[3 Rokkits, Nob w/ Powerklaw] 245
My list consists of with 192 points to spare.
Quote:
Crisis suit commander, shas'el, Plasma rifle, CiB, Targeting array, Hard wired Multi-tracker
Ethreal
10 Bodyguard

Crisis suit team Mont'ka
Team leader Twin Linked Plasma Rifle Missile Pod Hard-Wired Multi Tracker Bonding Knife
Plasma Rifle Missile Pod Multi Tracker
Plasma Rifle Missile Pod Multi Tracker

Crisis suit team Kauyon
TL missile pod/flamer
TL missile pod/flamer
TL missile pod/flamer

Fire warriors, 12 Shas’ui Bonding Knife Marker Light Target Lock
Fire warriors, 12 Shas’ui Bonding Knife Marker Light Target Lock
Kroot 10
Kroot 12

Pathfinders 6 Shas’ui Bonding Knife Target Lock
Devilfish Smart Missile System Targeting Array Multi-tracker Decoy Launchers

Hammerhead Railgun Smart missile system Target lock Multi-tracker Decoy Launchers
Broadside team 2. Team leader Advance Stabilization System X2 Hard wired Drone Controller 2 shield drones Bonding Knife
Hammerhead ion cannon Smart missile system Target lock Multi-tracker Decoy Launchers
Now my "problem" is I still need the list to be a good take all comers list for the non ORK WAAAGH armies I'll play against.
I only have about 6 more firewarriors and no more kroot. I have more crisis suits and only the fireknives are glued in place. I have more vehicles (2 pirannas, 3 devilfish/hammerheads and more stealth suits then you can shake a stick at).
What tactics, deployment strategies should I use and how should I spend the left over 192 points?
Also the ethreal and his 10 body guards have to stay in the list due to the extra points in the tournament.
Quote:
Theme Points
In Hobby Tournaments Theme is worth up to 15 possible points. Your army will be judged on its theme during each game by your opponent.
0- This list made the game unfun, it is in the wrong tournament
1- This list was a bad example of construction for the particular arm
2- List placed winning over theme
3- Balanced list
4- A good example of chosen army
5- Fair, balanced, well constructed with the spirit of the army and the game in mind.
For those in which the post was too long and didn't read. "How do I beat 206 orks?"
zannal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Feb 2008, 03:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default Re: Hybrid Tau Vs 2000 points (206 models) of orks help?

Dakka. Plain and simple.
He has no transports, which means he'll be footslogging across the board, which means a lot of Orks will be in the open, meaning massed pulse dakka should see to them nicely.
See also: Submunitions, anything with a template, and smart missile systems.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Feb 2008, 03:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Deploy in teams.

12 man firewarriors, path finders.

12 man firewarriors, ethereal

Deploy on opposite sides to create a firing arch.

Concentrate sub munition shots on the flank you deploy your crisis suits. While the orks are being pummeled, you'll realize that you created more room to move your crisis suit teams.

in addition to sub munition shots, your tactically deployed with options of missile pod salvos. 10 shots by my count. Since plasma wont come into play the first turn, start picking the side you want to run to, and leave his orks foot slogging to you while you whittle him down.

If you were interested, a broad side suit doesn't seem to work in this army. Get the piranha, hell get two, because you may just run into some land raiders, or tanks in general.

if you wanted too, you could invest into some basic stealth suits, and use them as the opening skirmishers. Combo this with kroot, and you can get firepower working on one flank if you played it right. Another thought, if he deployed his lootas out in a vulnerable position, str 5 shots will easily cut them down. Always keep the infiltrate option open.

The golden rule against hoard armies.

You will not beat them by attrition, but you can whittle them down. (you just need to survive 6 turns, and prevent casualties on your side.)

And I must repeat one thing to you. Fire strongly on one flank and stick with it. Because squads deployed on the far left will take longer to get to the far right!

When you deploy in opposite sides, you will force your opponents hands to charge ahead full throttle. This is the bait.

As they charge forward, you strike them down, one ork at a time.

The more hammer heads the better! and be sure they hit! you have the marker lights it seems so use them.

pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Feb 2008, 07:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to shishimay

I can't help but think against an infantry army crisis suits with either twin linked Missile pods or missile pod/burst cannon would help... o.o

but use the tau's advantage: the longest basic weapon in the game.

keep your range and gun em down from a distance...I'm a newb though so don't listen....

I say with that 192.... hammerhead.... and either another hammer head or crisis/FW

I say hammerheads cause the only time I've used sub munition it was used to godly effect o.o

NOBODY expects the tau rail rifle drones!
Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise....
Our two weapons are fear and surprise... and ruthless efficiency....
Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...
and an almost fanatical devotion to the greater good....
Our four... no...
Amongst our weapons... Amongst our weaponry...
are such elements as fear, surprise...
I'll choose another unit...
shishimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Feb 2008, 14:47   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I like the idea of placing guys on opposite sides of the board and to Try and make him split his forces. Which would also mean if he focuses solely on one side, the long range guns of the Tau can widdle down both sides.
I thought about adding more Hammerheads with Railguns, but I don't want to lean too far in the cheese side of things, which could make some people doc me points. I sadly didn't think about the stealth suits has a method of taking out lootas. I was just thinking of how many orks they would take out in one salvo but you are right about infiltrating them to shoot the lootas.

Would adding Devilfish be an ok idea in this list, one for the ethreal and one firewarrior squad? Possibly to let them get out of dodge when the green tide hits them. I normally run 2 fully decked out devilfishs for the firewarrior squads but that at times is a little on the overpowered side.
Old 08 Feb 2008, 20:02   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I didn't see it mentioned, but in adding to the whole 'fire arch + deploy on opposite sides' my advice would be to be strategic on you terrain placement to create a funnel effect. Since you employ skimmers and jump-pack infantry buildings don't really block you as much in the movement department.

Give him as little ways to you as possible but allow yourself a few ways around to his rear. Use the funnel to cut him down as he pours through that opening and having difficult terrain (a crater or rubble) would make things even better for you. But all of this happens only in a perfect world :P
Lord Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Feb 2008, 20:08   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Your opponents armylist seems very boring, and will probably suffer being marked down by most players who fight against it on theme.

Splitting your forces seems like a good idea, rather than trying to drag him after units spaced into two groups in your deployment zone which being an ork army has more than enough models to swamp both, why not divide the force into regular and deepstriking elements . Deploying all the regular non-deepstriking units into one corner of the board forces his army which excels at close range to cluster together, providing juicy targets for the hammerheads and enabling inevitable assaults to block los for large portions of his force provided your kroot/broadsides can survive into his turn . The hammerheads themselves need to hug the back line, and do their best to use their range advantage over the orks. Deepstrikers can then arrive on the opposite corner and do away with his looters, hopefully keeping out of range of the rest of his force for the rest of the battle by virtue of the large distraction provided by the rest of your force .

Use the 196 pts for general deep striking bad-assery, to make sure the looters die fast and hard Xv8's and 25's fit the bill perfectly so just sit back and decide which is the most useful in an allcomers list .

ShasEl Hungry Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Feb 2008, 20:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by zannal
I like the idea of placing guys on opposite sides of the board and to Try and make him split his forces. Which would also mean if he focuses solely on one side, the long range guns of the Tau can widdle down both sides.
I thought about adding more Hammerheads with Railguns, but I don't want to lean too far in the cheese side of things, which could make some people doc me points. I sadly didn't think about the stealth suits has a method of taking out lootas. I was just thinking of how many orks they would take out in one salvo but you are right about infiltrating them to shoot the lootas.

Would adding Devilfish be an ok idea in this list, one for the ethreal and one firewarrior squad? Possibly to let them get out of dodge when the green tide hits them. I normally run 2 fully decked out devilfishs for the firewarrior squads but that at times is a little on the overpowered side.
Overpowered? for having transports?

Guess its my lack of tournament experience here, but adding two devil fish wouldn't kill you. In fact it would be kind of fun to see far sight tactics played here.

The stealth suits wouldnt technically be bad, as long as they werent shot at. The boyz here could take 15 str 5 shots, which should negate their armor (5+ right?) add on the shots of missile pods and sub munitions and you'll be in the clear.

And be sure to take advantage of your commanders assault abilities. His weapons will get you 7 shots in 12 inches and 6 within 18. The weapon combo you chose will negate most of his armor saves. However the ion blaster will only wound on a 5 unfortunately.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Feb 2008, 20:35   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

What I may do is drop the 2 broadsides, upgrade the Ion to a railgun and add in two Warfishes. I can fit in 4 stealth suits if I drop a Kroot (which I'm more then OK with) I'm still nervious about having only 2 railguns in a 2000 point game, but sense there wont be 3 lith necrons and big bug nids it shouldn't be too bad.

This will still let me have long range anti tank and still with the good anti tank properties too. the Warfishes and stealth suits can help with the hoard and also give me a skimmer wall if need be.

The suits have a 3+ save, much better then the 5+, nothing I own has a 5+ save (gots no vespids).
I like my Ion blaster because I is pretty much my favorite 'jack of all trades' gun and I have yet to be dissatisfied with it.

What I mean by 'over powered" is that the tournament is ment to get away from things like mech eldar, big bug nid, and other armies of that sort. Which has caused quite a stir at the store to has what is exactly "themed". But that is for a discussion for an other time and place. (which is why I'm sticking an Ethreal in my list)

So it looks like I will deploy on each side to make him split or focus on one side with my stealth suits infiltrateing to hopefully get some pot shots at the lootas. My crisis suits will go on the side has far away from his hoard has I can get.

Old 10 Feb 2008, 19:44   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

So how did the battle go?
ShasEl Hungry Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote