Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Broadside or IonHead?
Old 07 Feb 2008, 19:34   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Broadside or IonHead?

Ok simple question.

My friends and I are holding a friendly tournament. there will be Dark Angels, necrons, and tyranids. We've settled on 500 points, some of us have more then others, so to be fair we settled for this. I want to bring a heavy, so Ionhead or Broadside? I'm bringing 1HQ, 2 XV-8, either Ion or Broad, and the rest FW.
Old 07 Feb 2008, 19:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Broadside or IonHead?

Do you know what the likely compensation of the armies are? I would in general go for the Ionhead. It's a bit more resilent(but not so against Necrons...), and with burst cannons can work wonders as Infantry supression.

I would take the Broadside(I imagine two, or just one nice one?) if you expect vehicles. With Tyranids you don't have much reason for a broadside, with DA it can really go multiple ways.

In general: Ionhead.
That until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned: That until there are no longer first-class and second class citizens of any nation; That until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes; That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race; That until that day, the dream of lasting peace and world citizenship and the rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be pursued but never attained; And until the ignoble an
VerjigormDeExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2008, 20:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

When playing 500 points, Combat Patrol rules are really a "must".

Think about it - while the Necron player can only fgield the bare minimum (20 warriors for troops, Lord), you can arrive with an Ionhead, 12 Firewarriors and a buttload of Crisis.

For fairness and balance`s sake, use Combat Patrol rules.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2008, 20:04   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

it will most likely happen that way, but i'm more worried about the Dark Angels then the others. no offense to them but I feel confident of victory there, more concerned with DA since I have not played them before.
Old 09 Feb 2008, 19:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well if it's most likely to become a 500 pt Combat Patrol, then that changes a lot of things. Namely, no Broadside (2+ save) and no Ionhead (FrontAV + SideAV >33). In this case, you'll need to use FBs or something on Crisis or Piranha.

Otherwise, for a balanced list, I'd say Broadside --> more pts for troops'n'other things. If your lookin' at a cheesefest, bring your Hammerhead w. either the Ion or the Railgun + more.

About the DAs, I wouldn't worry much about them. Both Death+Ravenwings will have their things (extreme toughness / extreme speed) but will be very few in number. Regular DAs are just regular Marines with more restrictions.

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2008, 22:04   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

yeah were having trouble coming up with rules that are fair for all players because, at 500 pts, no CP rules i have a lot more options that are better then others.
Old 10 Feb 2008, 15:36   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, if it stays as a regular match, I'd take the Ionhead. It'll take down just about anything that's coming against you from those three armies, plus any big beasties you might face. The AP 3 will also be useful against the necrons and DA.

If you go to combat patrol, I would take a couple piranha w/ fusion blasters. They can do some damage to the small numbers of necrons, (voiding their we'll be back role), as well as take out vehicles. However, be careful against the necrons, as those gauss blasters can really hurt your piranha if you get within rapid fire range. (40 gauss shots, 28 hits, 4-5 6's rolled, 4-5 glancing hits!) Or, you could add a few more Crisis suits w/ at least one missile pod... Fireknife might be a useful configuration, giving you some AP 2 shots as well as anti light and medium vehicle fire.
Lying in a featherbed will bring you no fame, nor staying beneath the quilt, and he who uses up his life without achieving fame leaves no more vestige of himself on Earth than smoke in the air or foam upon the water. ~Dante Alighieri

W L D
Tau 3 1 1
Space Marines 5 0 1
Tyranids 1 0 0
Dark Eldar 2 0 0
Pianoman is offline   Reply With Quote