Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kroot Moral Problem Fixed... Maybe
Old 06 Feb 2008, 15:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Kroot Moral Problem Fixed... Maybe

Ok so I really like the kroot, but I agree that they have a miserable moral and without the benefit of being able to take a bonding knife like firewarriors and such they can run off the field easily. Now I was reading over the bonding knife rules and if you disregard the fluff, which you can do to my knowledge, as long as the model that has it is alive in a squad they gain the benefit of it. The Sas'el commander, and shas'o for that mater, can take a bonding knife and be an independent character which allows him to grant it's benefits to any squad he joins. If you join him with a kroot squad then they would gain the benefit of having a significantly better moral check and the benefit of the bonding knife. I was very happy when I figured this out, and I assume others have as well. However, I wanted to make sure this was a legal option to take from a rules only stand point.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2008, 16:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to T pok Send a message via MSN to T pok
Default Re: Kroot Moral Problem Fixed... Maybe

And the kroot would also test on the Ld of said comander.
brave kid, i don't know if i could do that. whichever girl gets you for life is the luckiest in the world.
T pok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2008, 16:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hi Fate13,

Except now your Shas'el or Shas'o is stuck babysitting a bunch of Kroot...

A bit of waste don't you think?

Third Sphere
Old 06 Feb 2008, 17:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate13
The Sas'el commander, and shas'o for that mater, can take a bonding knife and be an independent character which allows him to grant it's benefits to any squad he joins. If you join him with a kroot squad then they would gain the benefit of having a significantly better moral check and the benefit of the bonding knife.
Thats what IC means... you can do it with any squad
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2008, 17:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1

Technically this looks legit. However as has been stated it's a bit of a waste of points. Then there's the problem of majority toughness and armour. If the squad gets hit with something that ignores cover guess what your commanders armour save is? Armour? What armour? This is a legal strategy but is definitely not one worth field testing.

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

korik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2008, 18:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Prevent deaths as much as possible, or just get more kroot in a squad.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2008, 20:06   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

So here's something I'm wondering about with a bonding knife on a commander. If you have a squad of Kroot that are below half strength and are falling back (which means they run until they get off the board), is it possible to save them with a Shas'o/Shas'el with a Bonding Knife?

In other words, could you join the commander to the squad during the movement phase (provided you can catch up to them) in one turn, use the commander's Bonding Knife and leadership to regroup the squad on the next turn, then move him out of the squad on the turn after that.

Yeah, it would take 3 turns to pull off but if there are at least 7-8 Kroot you're trying to save, the commander would actually be fairly safe and still be useful. If someone tries to shoot at the squad, the Kroot will provide the commander with ablative wounds. The commander can still fire out to full range (he'd still be jump infantry, just without being able to move like it due to joining the unit).

Anyway, I was just wondering if it's possible. I don't remember off the top of my head if there are any rules against joining a squad that's falling back. The tactic probably has very limited value anyway, but hey, even one Kroot that's stops falling back keeps half the value of the squad. You never know what could be useful.
Ninja Snarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2008, 20:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

or, you could give the kroot an Ethereal ;D Then you don't have to worry about majority saves and whatnot. Plus the Ethereal can have a bonding knife as well.

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2008, 21:15   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I`m only wondering why anyone would go to so mamy lengths just to save a 100-odd point unit. I`m running Kroot at their bare minimum - 10 strong for 70 points. 2 Units of them, and the enemy usually outright ignores them.

Investing in a 100+ model just to keep a 100pts unit in line is a rather bad idea, imo.

@Ninja Snarl: I don`t think it is allowed for an IC to join a retreating unit ruleswise. But even if it would be allowed - again, why should I? My Commander would lose JSJ, IC protection and he would have to shoot at the same target the Kroot do - which can be quite a bad idea.
Furthermore - if the Kroot are under 50%, and run, they take your IC with them.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2008, 22:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I rather like the idea of a full squad of 20 kroot and 8 hounds with an ethereal!

especially against foes that the kroot's combat prowess could win the day, like necrons
yosh is offline   Reply With Quote