Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pathfinders and Pirahnas
Old 05 Feb 2008, 19:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Pathfinders and Pirahnas

Two easy questions, the first is are Pathfinders from GW plastic or metal models? The second question is I can't tell by just looking at it, but is a pirahnas burst cannon turret something that can be easily removed like a Crisis Suits weapons can just snapped on and off. The reason I ask is because I play two very diffrent opponents. One is orks, whom I need the burst cannons against. The other is space marines, whom I need the fusion blasters against. Can the turret weapon be changed out, or once you choose one, does it have to stay on?
Old 05 Feb 2008, 19:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Pathfinders and Pirahnas

For your first question. Pathfinder are metal model.

As for yuor second question. I do not know i don't use piranha. However if they are like the devilfish. it's there to stay.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2008, 20:27   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Boneguard is right on both counts ... it's mounted exactly like the Devilfish BC except slightly smaller in size.
Lord Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2008, 00:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If you have the small Rare earth magnets its quite easy to attach them to a FUB and BSTC and one on the inside of the piranha turret.
I've done it and it works great with mine, and you can't actually tell the difference between it and another piranha where i have just glued the BSTC in place.
Old 06 Feb 2008, 00:31   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Magnets are the way to go. I magnatize everything I can in my army, It'll really help in the long run. As for attaching it, just leave off the outer casing, or use a little creative cutting to allow for interchanging. Works for me.
Old 06 Feb 2008, 02:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Regarding the second question - here's some pictures of it - and how I went about magnetizing it:
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...#msg1058001348

Quote:
Originally Posted by .mace
[New]

Ok, what I've ended up doing - it seemed the easiest for swapping out weapons - was putting magnets inside the front turret rather than in it's mount - due to the more or less lack of vertical movement in the weapons when mounted normally. It can still swivel from side to side if necessary.

Pic and explanation:

Left: The front turret - with a piece of sprue, filed down to fit, with an embedded 3mm magnet. Note that it shouldn't be any 'higher' than the inner ridge of the turret - otherwise you won't be able to put on the 'C' piece. I glued on the 'C' piece afterwards.

Middle: The modified fusion blaster. I glued in a piece of sprue at the back section where it lacks material.. then drilled into that to glue in a magnet. The sides of the weapon were trimmed down and made flush to slide in.

Right: Burst Cannon - just cut the 'nobs' off the sides, and drilled in to the back to glue in a magnet. Very little plastic though, barely enough to fit the magnet without going through the sides. Take your time centering the drill.
There were some round tabs on the sides that would normally hold the weapon in place and allow it to move up and down - but I cut those off to allow it to be magnetized and swappable.
Old 06 Feb 2008, 03:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

wow, thats awesome thanks guys. Although, I HATE metal models...very dissapointed pathfinders are metal.
Old 06 Feb 2008, 05:35   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Simply use fire warriors without shoulder pads armed with a pulse carbine and something to represent the markerlight.
I have found if you just put a layer of paint over the weapons it will sit in the slot without glue or magnets, does fall out if you knock it. Works with Crisis weapons as well.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2008, 00:49   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Cut off part of the pulse rifles and glue them sideways to the carbine to represent marker lights. Use pulse rifles with a carbine scope and extra large end to represent rail rifles. This will keep every thing in the plastic. I agree, metal models blow. They are next to unconvertable, dont fit, glue or stay together well, and they dont even paint right (not that i'm really a good enough painter to tell). LONG LIVE PLASTICS! DOWN WITH METALS! (heavy rock music can stay though)