Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

6,000 Points of Tau
Old 04 Feb 2008, 18:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default 6,000 Points of Tau

So, Apocalypse is starting to be played around my local stomping grounds. And one day I got to thinking - just what would I like to bring to a big Apocalypse game?

And of course one of the first units to pop into my mind goes without saying...the Manta. A massive gunship with Titan-killing capacity. And then I started experimenting with with just what would actually fit into a Manta. And the answer surprised me.

Shadowsun, 9 Fireknife Shas'o, 3 Hammerheads, a Sky-Ray, 48 Stealth Suits. Which, needless to say, is a LOT of stuff. And, if I'm not mistaken, it'll all legally fit into a Manta, and still be playable in Apocalypse (yay no force-org chart).

It all comes to just under 6,000 points.
FaithTruthWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2008, 19:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: 6,000 Points of Tau

Now all you have to do is find away to afford the manta.

Old 04 Feb 2008, 19:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

And pray that they will allow it. Not everyone who allow Forge World Models.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2008, 20:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mughi3
Now all you have to do is find away to afford the manta.

And that's the beautiful part. I'll get a Forgeworld Manta alright....albeit it'll be one of the tiny ones meant for Battlefleet Gothic....but it'll be a Manta!
Old 04 Feb 2008, 22:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
And pray that they will allow it. Not everyone who allow Forge World Models.
Well other than holding a gun to thier head and forcing them to play you no, but this is apocolyse and they cannot dis-allow anything thats a legal GW model. as it was a game system made with using FW models in mind they cannot dis-allow them simply because your using FW models.

Quote:
And that's the beautiful part. I'll get a Forgeworld Manta alright....albeit it'll be one of the tiny ones meant for Battlefleet Gothic....but it'll be a Manta!
ROFLOL
Well it will definately be cheeper and easier to move around....although the aeronautica one might be a bit bigger and better sculpted IIRC.
Old 04 Feb 2008, 22:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by mughi3
Well other than holding a gun to thier head and forcing them to play you no, but this is apocolyse and they cannot dis-allow anything thats a legal GW model. as it was a game system made with using FW models in mind they cannot dis-allow them simply because your using FW models.

Quote:
ROFLOL
Well it will definately be cheeper and easier to move around....although the aeronautica one might be a bit bigger and better sculpted IIRC.
The Aeronautica one is a nice model, about 8-9" across. Gets close to the size of a 40K Barracuda. The Gothic one is about the size of a nickel. They're 8 for $24 IIRC.

I have a 40k Marauder, and thought about getting some AI ones to use as secondaries (they ARE high level bombers), but the AI ones are way too small.

If someone brings a Manta to the table for an Apoc game, the only reason I can see they wouldn't allow it is because they are jealous. When it comes to FW models, you need "more dollars than sense". FW models cost 5x as much for the point value of the model, as most GW models, and the cost in points isn't always worth the value.
Old 05 Feb 2008, 00:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to shishimay

manta would cost you more in paint than the actual model XD. I would love it just to see my opponents jaw drop XD

NOBODY expects the tau rail rifle drones!
Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise....
Our two weapons are fear and surprise... and ruthless efficiency....
Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...
and an almost fanatical devotion to the greater good....
Our four... no...
Amongst our weapons... Amongst our weaponry...
are such elements as fear, surprise...
I'll choose another unit...
shishimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2008, 01:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I thought it'd be funny to bring a tiny little BFG Manta and go "Yeah, this thing has 16 Burst Cannons, 6 Ion Cannons, and a Heavy Railgun. Oh, and it holds all that aforementioned stuff."

Actually, thanks for bringing up the Aeronautica one, Maine. Its definitely large enough to see the details, and $90 (aprox) is waaaay better than the $2,000+ price tag of the 40K Manta. If I do include a Manta in my Tau, chances are I'll pick the AI one.
Old 06 Feb 2008, 10:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithTruthWisdom
I thought it'd be funny to bring a tiny little BFG Manta and go "Yeah, this thing has 16 Burst Cannons, 6 Ion Cannons, and a Heavy Railgun. Oh, and it holds all that aforementioned stuff."

Actually, thanks for bringing up the Aeronautica one, Maine. Its definitely large enough to see the details, and $90 (aprox) is waaaay better than the $2,000+ price tag of the 40K Manta. If I do include a Manta in my Tau, chances are I'll pick the AI one.
Since it is so much smaller, if your opponents let you use it, they should get to add about 1.5 feet to their weapon ranges when targetting it.
Old 06 Feb 2008, 13:55   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I just read the IA Apoc book in which there is a cadre which must be mounted in a Manta. Where I play most people uses the "count as" rule or simply doesn't use the figures "My marines are deep striking without a drop pods". I think I will make huge shadow off the Manta out off cardboard and make it "count as" a Manta ;D ;D ;D ;D

Regards
Car'lel
CarLel is offline   Reply With Quote