Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What to add next...
Old 04 Feb 2008, 15:19   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default What to add next...

The wife is allowing me (yes that is correct) to purchase some and/or a model(s) next month as a birthday gift to myself. To clarify, I'm using MY money to buy ME a birthday gift b/c she refuses to buy me models. But I still love her :P

Anyway ... I'm not sure what to get if I even get anything at all. My current inventory is as follows.

3 Devilfish Chasis (with all the trimmings for Ion and Railhead's)
3 Piranha's
36 Firewarriors
2 Broadsides
4 - 6 XV8's (2 can be HQs)
3 Stealthsuits
16 Drones
9 Pathfinders (2 w/ Rail Rifles)
1 Sniper Drone Squad

My thoughts were to add 1 or 2 of the following:

Skyray box (since I can make all the tanks with it)
Kroot Box
Sniper Drone Box
Stealth Team
More XV8s

I'm looking to keep my total under $120 so as not to be broke, but still add a significant punch to my army.

Any thoughts, feedback, advice (non-marital plz :P) is welcome.
Lord Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2008, 15:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: What to add next...

Hey man,

Seeing what you have, I'd probably get a couple Kroot and maybe another Sniper Drone Team and build yourself a 2000 pt Hybrid army...

Guess it'd depend on whatever kind of army preference you have.

Floob

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2008, 15:58   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that ... right now I play an almost Mech Tau 1000 pts list (the non-mech being 2 Broadsides).

My original thoughts were leaning towards Kroot ... but other thoughts and suggestions are very much welcome
Lord Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2008, 16:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yeah I'd go with Kroot, given what you have already. If nothing else they're a change of pace from the clean lines of the Tau.
Old 04 Feb 2008, 16:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'd go with the Kroot. They can be a great unit to have.
FaithTruthWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2008, 20:03   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Personally, I hate kroot, and suggest that you get more battlesuits or broadsides. I'm biased though, as I field an (almost) all battlesuit army. If you can get the rapid insersion box set, it comes with a handfull of crisis, and a squad of stealthsuits, for sorta cheap (go ebay!) (I'm not trying to sell anything or endorse anything, just a suggestion.)
Old 04 Feb 2008, 20:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

you have the tau, i would go for the allies next. I think that vespids would suit your style, but some people hate them. I like them buts thats just me. kroot are another option, like people have already said. i would buy another broadside, units of 3 are goood in my opinion. Definetly buy a hammerhead. You are going to need the devilfish if you are doing a mech army. Give it a railgun and multi tracker, then go have fun ;D

Rapid insertion force comes with 9 crisis and 3 stealth suits. Then buy farsight, and put him with 7 bodyguard. deepstrike with fusion and flamer, then charge with 3 attack each. this is brutal against orks, seeing as you hit on 3's

C:\Users\Samuel\Pictures\SINDRI.jpg
fattyboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2008, 20:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Its final. You're getting a box of kroot.

They add variety, diversity, and a plethora of options. But tip #1 is: never upgrade them with anything. They are used as a pill-bug (stick them in the forest, shoot enemy from 7 inches in (they can't shoot back) until they come waste time and points on you) as a speed bump (slow down assaulter's as they get to your fire base; which in your case is the broadsides) or you can use them to deny infiltrators (nothing worse then having upgraded Raptors deploy 12 inches away in cover from the very start).

Even if you don't take them, they are always nice to have close by, because at 7pts each, you can easily take 10 for 70pts if you need a filler.

-$30

With your leftover "potential" $90 I would recommend getting more suits. You're required to field a Crisis Battlesuit Commander in every battle, meaning you have at Max 5 crisis suits for your elite choices. One of Tau's main advantages (besides superior fire power, and the 'Greater Good&#39 is their JSJ ability. No other army can use it to the extent of the Tau, and they share the jet pack ability only with the fragile Eldar. Getting more suits will give you more OPTIONS, and eventually you'll realize how much fun it is to field 15 battle suits, and 2 squads of 6 fire warrriors in a 1000pt game. I'd recommend buying 2 more, giving you an even 6 (if you use 2 as commanders).

-$40

With $50 left I'd probaly buy the SkyRay gunship. With 3 squads of Fire Warriors and 1 squad of Pathfinders, I think it would be hard for you to deploy a mobile fire base and still have a railhead. If you buy another skyray, you can put two squads of FWers in Devilfishes, a squad of Pathfinders in the other, and still have 1 more chassis to put a railhead on. Just a personal preference.

Vespids are also another plausible option, but unless you are fighting space marines a lot, I think you'll leave them in 'the case' more often then not. With a 5+ save, mass weak fire can quickly bringing them down, making them cost more than they killed. Eventually, you could couple Vespids with kroot; Fleeting (12"+d6) their way up to the infiltrated kroot, launching a burst of AP3 shots, and having the kroot charge into the weakened squad to protect the vespids.

I think of hammerheads/Devilfishi (as in fungus-fungi) as rocks; solid, strong, can hurt while taking hits.
I think of Vespids as glass; hela sharp, but can easily be shattered.
Old 05 Feb 2008, 01:53   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Personally, I'd go for the Armored Interdiction Cadre, then either spend whatever else you can on either another suit, or kroot(if you don't mind going over $120. Here's why:

You only have three tank chasis, and one has to be taken by the pathfinders if you use them. That only leaves 2 to use as Ion or Railheads or DF for the 36 Firewarriors that you already have. If you get an armored Interdiction cadre, you can mount the Pathfinders, 3 squads of Firewarriors, and also have 2 Tanks. Alternately you could only use 1 Hammerhead, and break the Firewarriors into smaller teams (2x10 2x8) and mount all 4 of them. If you prefer the Mech side, this if probably your "Mechiest" bet. I bet you can still find an Armored Interdiction Cadre on Ebay.
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2008, 00:22   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I would suggest staying away from skyrays. With 6 seeker missiles, they're next to useless. (if you want seekers, attach them to you're other 'fish chasis, and save a heavy weapons slot, as well as a bunch of points). Go with the suits, or broadsides. You can never have too many.