Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Got my butt handed to me by grey knights...
Old 04 Feb 2008, 00:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Got my butt handed to me by grey knights...

I play in a biweekly campaign using 2000 pt armies. I usually take tau (though I have taken dark angels before once). Tonight's game was against an almost pure grey knights army using:

Grandmaster

Inquisitor

Calidus Assassin

7 Grey Knight terminators

3 units of 10 Grey Knights

a Land Raider Crusader

and a Dreadnought w/twin Las, Missile launcher, Hunter Killer Missile

I had:

Farsight

3 Bodyguard w/plasma, missile, shield, hwmt

Shas'o w/ cib, burst cannon, mt

3 fireknifes

3 twin fusion suits w/ shield

6 stealth suits

10 warriors w/shas'ui, warfish

10 warriors w/ shas'ui, warfish

8 gundrones

2 Broadsides w/ A.S.S.

Railhead

(note all units that could have a shas upgrade did to take advantage of the free knife)

The mission had four counters that you had to have a unit within 6" of for victory point purposes. He deployed along the entire length of his deployment zone, where as I deployed on one side so that I could force him to come to me and I could roll his line (so far its going according to plan...).

He gets first turn and promptly kills one of Farsights Bodyguard and a regular fireknife. My turn comes around and I throw so much fire at him that one of his squads is reduced to the justicar(?) and the attached Inquisitor is killed.

Here's where it starts going a little bad. His Land Raider moves up twelve inches, unloads his termies which are able to assault and kill 4 stealths, also his assassin appears and proceeds to using the flamer template wound one broadside and crew stun my hammerhead. Worse still she is able to charge the broadsides and tie them up for two turns. He's also able to shoot down another fireknife. My stealths run (but thanks to the free knife regroup). During my turn they kill one of the terminators in shooting. And heres where I make my first real tactical blunder: I don't kill the lone justicar in the shooting phase, instead choosing to ignore him and try to take out the second unit of grey knights, which I am also able to get down to just the justicar. Unfortunately at the beginning of the turn I hadn't gotten either of my deepstriking units.

Third turn starts with him charging my stealths again, and because the hammerhead wasn't able to move he was able to get part of his charge to contact that and the broadsides. Some how the broadsides survive the assassin and the couple of attacks from his terminators that attacked it. The hammerhead was only crew shaken this turn, But I lose the last two stealths. I've also lost the last body guard for Farsight and the last fireknife. On my turn I get both reserves, but both veer off of their intended destination. The three twin fusion suits land in dangerous terrain and I lose one, where as the gun drones actually move to a better location. Down one suit the rest of the unit makes up for it by blasting the dreadnought in the back causing a 6" blast... Thank goodness my suits landed 7" away. My drones shoot and kill one of the two lone justicars, and I'm able to wear down the third regular grey knight squad down to three models... Thats where my second major blunder took place. I miscalculated the distance and instead of being able to shoot with both squads I was only able to shoot with one, and even then not the full squad. So 28 shots later (14 from rapid firing warriors and 14 from the two warfish) and three models left...

The last three turns consisted of us just potshotting back and forth, though there was an interesting incident where I was able to fire the remaining four drones at the assassin, and killed her... look on my opponents face was worth the loss...

At the end of the game his army consisted of an untouched land raider crusader sitting on one counter, a six man terminator squad with grand master sitting on a second, and two lonely justicars too far away to do anything. I had 2 twin fusion suits, 8 firewarriors and a warfish sitting on the other two counters. Came down to victory points, which if you count what I just told you, he had a lot more... :'(

Worst part is that O'Shova died... That doesn't sound too bad unless, like me, you are playing in a campaign were if a special character is killed you can't use him again until the campaign is over. So no more Farsight for me. :'(

Things I learned:
1. Weight of fire is good, but ALWAYS make sure to finish the unit. I lost a lot of things I shouldn't have if I had made sure every model in those units was dead.

2. Take your time. I made the error in positioning that cost me the ability to fire with the one unit of firewarriors for one simple reason. I rushed myself and in so doing misjudged distance and misplaced a single warrior allowing him to be charged the next turn.

3. Put at least one long range anti tank weapon platform away from the rest of your army... This is going to sound stupid, but I couldn't get line of sight to his dreadnought with my units that could easily blow it up. I had to wait until my three fusions came on to take it out. With a simple change of deploying one unit, didn't matter if it was a fireknife, the broadsides or o'shovahs. All I needed was one unit that could have targeted it first turn to take it out. Instead it got three turns of free shooting on me and killed about 4 suits by itself. My mistake in placing units allowed his dreadnought to pay for itself almost twice.

4. Remember the mission objective. My opponent was almost gleeful going into the third turn, as he was wiping out suits left and right. I made the mistake of saying, and I quote: " Thats OK, you're still going to lose. You aren't paying attention to the objectives". He then proceeded to do just that (I would have had three the way he was going if I hadn't reminded him...)

Okay, enough of that. Model of the game: The Shas'O. He killed 2-3 marines a turn by himself. Funnily enough it was usually with the burst cannon, as the CIB only killed one model the whole game. Runner up were the four drones that shot down a calidus assassin and tied up a lone justicar in close combat for 2 turns.

Biggest dissapointment: O'Shova and his body guard. Killed 3 marines before being gunned down by turn three. Not only did they not make their points back, the wiffed horribly. Usually he kills a third of my opponents army by himself (both in shooting and in close combat...)
Old 04 Feb 2008, 02:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Got my butt handed to me by grey knights...

First off this should go under the Battle Report section!

Now you didn't do too bad considering what happened. The deep striking battle suit incident is normal. It happens to the best of us. Don't feel to sore for losing the battle it seems like you tried really hard. I just have a few tips for you:

1) Take the time to position ALL of your units and really think hard as to where they are going to move. Tau don't like CC so be sure to put them in the ideal place to shoot as well as avoid CC.(I know easier said than done)

2)DON'T EVER TAKE THE CIB AGAIN! Its a weird and unreliable weapon. The codex says its an experimental weapon, well to me its a failed experiment. I have yet to find or hear of a good use for it! Frankly why the Tau would spend time to field test it in battle is beyond me! That weapon selection slot could have been used for something better!

and finally:

3) REMEBER KEEP THE OBJECTIVE IN MIND AND YOUR MOUTH SHUT! A commander who forgets the mission goal is a weak commander. I once played a game against a Necron player. The goal was to get to the opposite side of the table for points. I kept my mouth shut and while his forces were stuck trying to break through my fire warriors, devil fish, hammerhead and Commander front line, my XV8 and 2 Piranhas went forward to score my winning Victory points!

Other than that it sounds like you had a good game!
Good luck in the future!
Old 04 Feb 2008, 03:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandis2
First off this should go under the Battle Report section!

Now you didn't do too bad considering what happened. The deep striking battle suit incident is normal. It happens to the best of us. Don't feel to sore for losing the battle it seems like you tried really hard. I just have a few tips for you:

1) Take the time to position ALL of your units and really think hard as to where they are going to move. Tau don't like CC so be sure to put them in the ideal place to shoot as well as avoid CC.(I know easier said than done)

2)DON'T EVER TAKE THE CIB AGAIN! Its a weird and unreliable weapon. The codex says its an experimental weapon, well to me its a failed experiment. I have yet to find or hear of a good use for it! Frankly why the Tau would spend time to field test it in battle is beyond me! That weapon selection slot could have been used for something better!

and finally:

3) REMEBER KEEP THE OBJECTIVE IN MIND AND YOUR MOUTH SHUT! A commander who forgets the mission goal is a weak commander. I once played a game against a Necron player. The goal was to get to the opposite side of the table for points. I kept my mouth shut and while his forces were stuck trying to break through my fire warriors, devil fish, hammerhead and Commander front line, my XV8 and 2 Piranhas went forward to score my winning Victory points!

Other than that it sounds like you had a good game!
Good luck in the future!
Technically this is the battle reports section, though after checking again I did see that the format I wrote the report in isn't the proper one. So I apologize for that.

As to point one, I'm usually very careful about deployment, and indeed usually extremely careful of placement. Heck, if you had seen the way I deployed against him, you would most likely had thought a foregone conclusion... However the dice gods are fickle and I just need to learn from my mistakes.

Point two, the CIB. Normally I would agree that it is a worthless. However if you look closely you will see that together both guns put out 8 shots at 18". To me that, and the model comes out to 78 points is worth it. Any other combo and I wouldn't care to even bother.
Old 04 Feb 2008, 06:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Hey look, a BatRep.
Ohh, look, a Karma point.

Nice try, hope the rest of the campaign goes better.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote