Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

PathFinders: some advice please
Closed Thread
Old 09 Apr 2005, 00:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default PathFinders: some advice please

I'm thinking of adding a squad to my Tau...and I'm curious as to everyone's opinions on the following considerations:

a) Rail Rifles on no? I know I'd only get 3 to a squad, but are they worth going for?

b) Should I max out the squad, ot go for a set size? If so, what do you reccomend?

c) Since mostly likely these guys will be infiltrated, and likely targets for assault, should I bother with grenades of any type?

d) Or should I bother with PathFinders at all, and instead add another squad of Stealths?

thanks,

-M
Old 09 Apr 2005, 02:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Aun Ukos
Default Re: PathFinders: some advice please

a. Railrifles are up to you

b. Full squads are nice with all those marker lights ;D

c. Photon grenades are a good upgrade for them

d. Yes get some pathfinders
Old 09 Apr 2005, 02:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to RedMagnus

a) Take RRs if you fight Marines a lot (like me), their S6 AP3 works wonders on Devastators if you guide it with Fire Warrior Shas'ui Markerlights

b)Take as large a squad if possible (you can always sell/pawn the extra models - just ask UXO)

c) You don't need grenades - for photond, if anything looks scary you can hop in your Devilfish and run away like little sissies (the Tau are renowned for doing this - mine are, anyways), and Pfinders are meant for shooting, not assaulting vehicles, and probably won't be close enough anyways. If they are, something's very wrong.

d) Pathfinders rock.

Yeah, I play WoW. So sue me.
Old 09 Apr 2005, 04:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

RR are up to you, I prefer seekers as they have more of a chance of hitting and can actually dent tanks.

I agree with the others here, 8 man squad w/ 'Ui

'Nades are pretty much worthless, you have to take a fish so run from combat :P

of course PF and I quote "Rock"
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 09 Apr 2005, 06:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Use the search function and you can find a very lengthy (and at times heated) discussion about the use of RRs. I'm more inclined to go with seeker missiles as well. I will add that you should never be infiltrating (they can't infiltrate anyways but I assume you mean move them forward with the free scout move) them - their weapon is the ML, not those carbines. Thus they should stay about 30-36" away from intended targets and preferably in cover. The carbines are just there to shoot dinner or to pass idle time. ^-^

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 09 Apr 2005, 08:34   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to IronWraith

Would you put the seekers on the their fish or on another vehicle?

Here's an awesome and legit way to a PSP!
http://www.FreePSPs.com/?r=17043334
Old 09 Apr 2005, 08:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

depends what you want, seekers on fishes make the seekers less likely to be shot at as IIRC trasports arent scoring units.

however Seekers on HH make the HH more valuable as a scoring unit while it also makes it a more valuable target for the opponent.

personally I'd just jack them on the PF fish as you can hide it without loosing a valuable fish and can run the fish to wherever yuo want them launched from.

might not be too coherent but its late ^-^
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 09 Apr 2005, 15:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to AvalonSurfer739

a) No take seeker missiles, they are the same cost and hit more and do more damage

b) Go for a full squad, that way they won't die as fast

c) EMP Grenades on Pathfinders might be a good idea, then you can use the "forward scout" rule and EMP their tanks!

d) I would go with Stealth or Crisis battlesuits but Pathfinders are okay and take them if you want to

-Made by the awsome Photoshoper TchicoriTa
Old 09 Apr 2005, 17:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

hey everyone, thanks much for the fast and helpful replies. Waldo, I did do a search for Pathfinder info...and I still had questions regarding them, hence this thread...

Ok, so I'm hearing that the consensus is to take Seekers instead of RR's, unless a specific situation calls for RR's, like SMurfs with Devastators? Sound right? Well, I already dropped the cash on a pack of 2 PathFinders with RR's, so I guess I'll leave it at that and use them as needed...or trade/sell them off.

Last night as I'm gluing my Stealths together, I had a minor epiphany; instead of paying $80 for a Pathfinder+DF unit, I'm just going to pick up the DevilFish + Firewarriors boxed set and convert the FW with a little green stuff to look like Pathfinders...arm each with Pulse Carbines and voila! 8 Pathfinders and a Devilfish for about 50 bucks.

Besides...that baggy pants look died out with MC Hammer...

-M
Old 09 Apr 2005, 20:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

That's a good idea. If you're like me you've probably got about 20 or so FW pulse carbines in my bitz box. I also have 4 RR PFs (got them off Ebay for fairly cheap) but they're not used much.

As far as where to put seekers - Dizzy summed up the arguments. I generally spread them about but tend to put more on HHs than on DF - I don't like to put them on my PF's DF b/c once it drops them off it generally goes into "high risk" operations to act as a major PITA and that means it doesn't often survive the game.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Closed Thread