Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Making a Tau rpg, A few questions
Old 03 Feb 2008, 14:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Making a Tau rpg, A few questions

I'm working on a little D20 based roleplay game set in the Tau Empire. The players are gonna be a Tau Killteam and wil be able to make characters of any of the races within the Empire. I'm using skill trees for each race instead of classes.

I know enough about most of the races for this, but there is very little info on the Tarrelians and Nicassar. So if anyone knows a site that has some good fluff about them please share (it doesn't have to be canon).

Also, is it ever stated what the currency Tau use is called?

Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 03 Feb 2008, 14:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Making a Tau rpg, A few questions

Im not sure about currency, but you could make one up. I think it would be a kind of hologram, or something space aged, rather than coins that we have now....
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2008, 14:39   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Hologram? That would be stupid. Who is going to haul a holoprojector around with them? If anything, they wouldn't have currency; they'd have credit.

In essence, each Tau has a credit card. His wages are paid into that credit card, and deductions are made whenever he spends. A financial system without physical money... we're not far off one in the real world.

That said, they probably do have a physical equivalent for trade and so on. If in doubt, call them "Credits", due to the above digital-currency concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2008, 15:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ya, I was thinking credits too.
Old 03 Feb 2008, 15:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Due to the dystopian/utopian, omniscient nature of the Tau Empire, I've always assumed that they didn't use money of sorts. I've always thought they'd lean more on a coupon system.
Eg: A Shas'la is given 3 coupons for clothing, 2 for something else, etc...
Old 03 Feb 2008, 17:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Xisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
In essence, each Tau has a credit card. His wages are paid into that credit card, and deductions are made whenever he spends. A financial system without physical money... we're not far off one in the real world.
Credit implants, dear, credit implants! Or perhaps chips in the brian...

The trouble with a Tau RPG (I've thought about it a bit!) is, as I see it: the Tau Empire is really very different from the world we're in. Tau don't think "lets loot this room for valuable so we can trade it and get that Pulse Rifle of Cleaving +5"...it's too controlled.

Not too controlled to make it, but to have the Tau Empire be believable and not full-of-holes would mean for a very different an odd RPG. In that sense, I'd seriously avoid ever setting it on Tau dominated worlds. A newly inducted human world is the best bet, then you can portray all the oddities of the Tau Empire as very alien, yet still familiar enough to RPG with.

I'd also not really think a Killteam would be very fun for an RPG. Rather, a team of Ethereals or specially selected operatives working almost directly on behalf of the Ethereals investigating some sort of odd madness that's going around. An RPG, IMO, doesn't lend itself well to Killteam...though perhaps I say that just because I've never found excessive-fighting RPGs to be very much fun!
Old 03 Feb 2008, 17:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xisor
<br />
Quote:
<br />In essence, each Tau has a credit card. His wages are paid into that credit card, and deductions are made whenever he spends. A financial system without physical money... we're not far off one in the real world.
<br /><br />Credit <i>implants</i>, dear, credit <i>implants</i>! Or perhaps chips in the brian...<br /><br />The trouble with a Tau RPG (I've thought about it a bit!) is, as I see it: the Tau Empire is really very different from the world we're in. Tau don't think "lets loot this room for valuable so we can trade it and get that Pulse Rifle of Cleaving +5"...it's too controlled.<br /><br />Not too controlled to make it, but to have the Tau Empire be believable and not full-of-holes would mean for a very different an odd RPG. In that sense, I'd seriously avoid ever setting it on Tau dominated worlds. A newly inducted human world is the best bet, then you can portray all the oddities of the Tau Empire as very alien, yet still familiar enough to RPG with.<br /><br />I'd also not really think a Killteam would be very fun for an RPG. Rather, a team of Ethereals or specially selected operatives working almost directly on behalf of the Ethereals investigating some sort of odd madness that's going around. An RPG, IMO, doesn't lend itself well to Killteam...though perhaps I say that just because I've never found excessive-fighting RPGs to be very much fun!<br />
I was thinking the same thing. It's too controlled to have a group of misfits running about mucking things up.

As for the money thing I'd always imagined that on a strongly controlled Tau world there was no money. They just thought to themselves "Do I need this?" and if they didn't they wouldn't get it. If they did need it they'd just go to a supply building ask for whatever it was and then the clerk would just give it to them. No currency of any type.

Though on any world that isn't almost entirely a Tau population they probably would have a currency because those silly humans don't have the strength of will to resist temptation.

And when it comes to trade I doubt they'd ever use money. It'd be pretty much entirely a bartering system.

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

korik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2008, 18:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by korik1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xisor
<br />
Quote:
<br />In essence, each Tau has a credit card. His wages are paid into that credit card, and deductions are made whenever he spends. A financial system without physical money... we're not far off one in the real world.
<br /><br />Credit <i>implants</i>, dear, credit <i>implants</i>! Or perhaps chips in the brian...<br /><br />The trouble with a Tau RPG (I've thought about it a bit!) is, as I see it: the Tau Empire is really very different from the world we're in. Tau don't think "lets loot this room for valuable so we can trade it and get that Pulse Rifle of Cleaving +5"...it's too controlled.<br /><br />Not too controlled to make it, but to have the Tau Empire be believable and not full-of-holes would mean for a very different an odd RPG. In that sense, I'd seriously avoid ever setting it on Tau dominated worlds. A newly inducted human world is the best bet, then you can portray all the oddities of the Tau Empire as very alien, yet still familiar enough to RPG with.<br /><br />I'd also not really think a Killteam would be very fun for an RPG. Rather, a team of Ethereals or specially selected operatives working almost directly on behalf of the Ethereals investigating some sort of odd madness that's going around. An RPG, IMO, doesn't lend itself well to Killteam...though perhaps I say that just because I've never found excessive-fighting RPGs to be very much fun!<br />
I was thinking the same thing. It's too controlled to have a group of misfits running about mucking things up.

As for the money thing I'd always imagined that on a strongly controlled Tau world there was no money. They just thought to themselves "Do I need this?" and if they didn't they wouldn't get it. If they did need it they'd just go to a supply building ask for whatever it was and then the clerk would just give it to them. No currency of any type.

Though on any world that isn't almost entirely a Tau population they probably would have a currency because those silly humans don't have the strength of will to resist temptation.

And when it comes to trade I doubt they'd ever use money. It'd be pretty much entirely a bartering system.
I understand what you mean about the Tau looting. My plan is for equipment not to be bought but given to the PCs based on them proving themselves to be worthy of using the equipment. Part of the ability trees will be equipment upgrades. Some of the races trees will be more tech heavy than others. A Firewarrior for example might start down the tree that represents Pathfinder training. One of the upgrades would be to take a Pulse Carbine with Markerlight, or a Railrifle. After that he would be able to upgrade to a Stealthsuit.