Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Seeker Missiles+Sky Rays, Saviour?
Old 01 Feb 2008, 23:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx
Default Seeker Missiles+Sky Rays, Saviour?

I'm in a league currently, 1500pts first 5 weeks, 1750 last 5 weeks, and I know at some point I'll have to fight one of the two Nid players (both Nidzilla, of course). I was thinking of just throwing each game, as without Powerfists, you can't really win against them. But, in the interest of 'sportsmanship' (wasted, imo, on a Nidzilla player), I'm going to employ a weird niche army consisting of probably 2 Skyrays, 2 Pathfinder teams w/ Rail Rifles+Markerlights, as many FW teams w. markerlights as I can fit, and Devilfish transports w/ maxed Seeker Missiles.

I'm aiming for around 18-24 Seekers in the army, and around 12-14 Markerlights. It's going to be a static army I'm feeling, sitting in cover and unleashing barrages of 4-6 missiles per target per turn.

For HQ I'm probably going to throw in two Shas'el, probably either Fireknife or Helios.

What do you guys think, I figure all the 2+ STR8 AP3 shots will down a good number, at least the ones without the 2+ save. And the Railrifles can help out as well.

Thoughts?

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2008, 01:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Seeker Missiles+Sky Rays, Saviour?

I hate to hijack a topic, but I just wanted to pose this question - what is the Nidzilla setup?

I've played my Tau against 'nids in the past, and generally don't have any problems with them. One guy plays swarms of Genestealers coupled with bigger critters, while the other uses a big variety of different stuff.
FaithTruthWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2008, 04:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

NidZilla refers to an army composed mostly of monstrous creatures (usually 2 Tyrants and 5+ Carnifexes).
@xShaperx: Don't underestimate the power of BS 5 Pulse dakka either. I've seen many a 'fex (even 2+ save ones) fall to massed firepower, from multiple firewarrior units guided by markerlights.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2008, 05:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

Are you using Marker drones? They'd work best with your Pathfinders. I'd also try fitting in an XV88 to help keep the heavy hitting power for the other armies. And if you're not opposed to using Forge World (And the rest of them aren't), then I'd look into getting the XV86; The HQ with a Markerlight. Giving him an A.S.S. would give you a mobile Markerlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2008, 06:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipTop1987
Are you using Marker drones? They'd work best with your Pathfinders. I'd also try fitting in an XV88 to help keep the heavy hitting power for the other armies. And if you're not opposed to using Forge World (And the rest of them aren't), then I'd look into getting the XV86; The HQ with a Markerlight. Giving him an A.S.S. would give you a mobile Markerlight.
Marker drones with Pathfinders actually increases the points you pay per markerlight hit, even factoring the cost of the 'fish.
Marker drones are also bad with XV 88's as they force majority toughness and majority armour rules to come in to play.
And finally, it's an XV 84, and it cannot take an A.S.S. (which sucks, I know)
Marker drones however, do go well with static fire warrior teams.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2008, 07:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
I was thinking of just throwing each game, as without Powerfists, you can't really win against them.

Er..what?
you need to learn how to work your army there. nids are not much of a problem for a mechanised tau army.

Quote:
It's going to be a static army I'm feeling
That however is a vary bad idea. the zillas in a nid zilla list are there to provide fire support for the stealers, ravenors and the like. if your static you will have at most 2 turns of shooting, but more likely only 1 given units that leap, fleet, scuttle or infiltrait in a nid army.

Warfish with fletchettes and smart missles, FOF, fireknife crisis suits etc...will make him work for a victory. don't just throw the game. if you need something to stall his little bugs throw kroot at him while your suits and tanks do some hurt on his zillas
Old 02 Feb 2008, 09:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I take a mixed list with O'Shova as a linchpin (basically very suit heavy...) and I never have a problem with nidzilla. You just need to do two things.

1. Concentrate your fire. First turns shooting goes to taking out the fastest units your opponent has so he can't tie you up in close combat, ie, stealers, hormaguants, tyrant w/ wings (thats a big one to take out). I know the carnifi look scary, but with a bs of 2(3) they won't hit as hard right away...

2. Target Priority with a mix of vp denial. You know that carnifex with the 2 twin linked devourers? Yeah, he only has 24 inch range (6 inch move and 18 inch range), leave him to last and just stay out of that range of fire. Its simpler than it looks. However that winged tyrant with the twin linked devourers? Yeah, he goes down first turn as he has an effective 30 inch range. Much harder to stay outside of...

So, basically the two things that you would need to take out nidzilla are the two things tau excel at, speed and massed firepower.

Good luck with your games!
Old 02 Feb 2008, 18:37   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Don't know much about nither tau nor nid, but maybe I'm could say something usefull.

To begin with... don't seeker missiles has to low AP to actually do something against fexes and such?
And if they don't play nidzilla, your list would get stomped simply because you wont shoot enough.
Wouldn't it be easier to take fireknife suits and/or stealth suits (maybe even with the fusion blaster upgrade). Or just throw in the usual 2-3 railheads and watch them scream when they try to catch you... ;D

Emomia
Emomia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Feb 2008, 19:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I will say this - against monstrous creature, your best bet are your high-AP, high-mobility weapons with range. Railheads and FireKnife suits are your best bet for just that.

Stationary units will get run down by faster units (winged tyrants, things with fleet, etc). Also, anything stuck in cover are prone to get hit by deep-striking carnifexes.

If I were you, I'd bring a couple of Railheads and a Sky-Ray, squeeze in as many FireKnife suits as points will allow, and go minimal on your troops. Its not very "sportsman" like, but then again, neither is Nidzilla.
FaithTruthWisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2008, 16:57   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Try taking as many broadsides as you can, and as many twin linked fusion blaster crisis suits as you can. Set your broadsides up static, with a few units of "helpless" firewarriors in front of them. Concentrate all static fire on any fast moving 'nids, and hold the rest of your crisis suits back. Try to deepstrike them all on turn two, concentrating on the shooting 'nids. Any close combat monster that only moves 6" per turn is unlikely to reach you, so just take out everything else. You could, alternitavly, field a bunch of hammer heads with your crisis suits, and never have to worry about being caught. Take out the shooty ones first, worry about the others later. Tau should be able wreck a nidzilla army like this. (Fight cheese with cheese, if you really want to win) (P.S. Markerlights/seekers are WAY too expensive in large numbers.)