Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Flying bases for Tau
Old 29 Jan 2008, 14:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to ShasO KVor
Default Flying bases for Tau

This question is really two-fold:

1) When doing your flying bases for drones/Hammerheads etc, do you sand\flock the base, or leave them transparent?

2) For those of you with flyers, what do you use as a flying base? Do you contruct one yourself out of something, or use a manufactured flyer stand (any suggestions\suppliers?)
ShasO KVor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2008, 14:54   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Flying bases for Tau

The fluff for my army has them coming from a desert like planet, so for my vehicles and drones I've put sand on the base and dry brushed it to the desired color (reddish brown).
Lord Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2008, 14:55   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
1) When doing your flying bases for drones/Hammerheads etc, do you sand\flock the base, or leave them transparent?
I paint the actual base part the same as my army, in my case black base, sand on, dryrushed grey. They fit in better. I rarely use the flying bases I have for my Hammerheads and fish though, I built them with landing gear deployed so I rest them on that, rather than use a base. They don't strike me as flying as such, more a simply hover, so I don't bother.

Quote:
2) For those of you with flyers, what do you use as a flying base? Do you contruct one yourself out of something, or use a manufactured flyer stand (any suggestions\suppliers?)
My Barracuda is mounted on a lathed plastic base (quite heavy, about an inch tall, 4" dia, and lathed to look like the normal infantry bases, with the sloping bit towards the top). Into this I have about 6" of 3mm dia welding rod that I "borrowed" from work, with the welding material banged off (with a rock... don't ask) and then superglued+greenstuffed into the base. The cuda then slots onto the top, and fits fine, and is quite stable. You don't want them too tall, that is the only thing, as height decreases the stability of the model, makes it need a larger base etc, I found 6" to be about right between height and stability.

Hope this has helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2008, 16:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I don't like the flying bases either, so for the Tanks, I use the Monstrous creature bases. For drones, though I have to use the flying stands, b/c there's no regular bases that are the same size. I use sand and green stuff to make a cracked earth/desert look.

If I need to use the flying stands, I find that glues tends to bead up on them, so I prime the base first(without the stem attached). Next I put on patches of green stuff, then the sand, prime again, paint, varnish and lastly glue the stem in. As you can see I could save about a dozen steps if I just used the regular stand. Additionally it is really a pain to replace one if the stand breaks, whereas it would be simple if they were just the clear plastic bases.

If you really want the army to look good, textured bases are hands down better (In my opinion), but otherwise it's not really worth the effort.

PS Order extra ball joints for the tanks, they just look Pimp!
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2008, 22:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Lupus

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Ca'rees
PS Order extra ball joints for the tanks, they just look Pimp!
I took the socket for a ball joint and inset it into the bottom of a devilfish so that it was flush with the interior floor. Then I placed the ball on the taller of the two "short" stems. Looks way cool, like it is moving fast on a turn.
Old 31 Jan 2008, 01:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

I decorate all my flying bases, along with all my normal bases, as a way to theme my army.
Mostly just sand, rocks and the odd bit of spare sprue/bitz to give it that 'ruined city' look.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote