Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Quick Answer?
Old 29 Jan 2008, 00:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Quick Answer?

Nothing big, just a quick question.

For a Ninja'O, the Hit&Run states that you leave combat 3d6 inches. The Shas'O can only move 6, then assualt 6. What if you jump back more than 12 inches, which you WILL in fact do 1/3 of the time? I was possibly thinking of using a Ninja'O against my IG opponent, since I know his army list is HeavyWeaponTeam heavy, but I don't think its worth the risk if 1/3 of the time he fall back too far, and gets shot to bits by the heavy weapons he was tying up.

Thanks in advance!
Old 29 Jan 2008, 00:40   #2 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Quick Answer?

How far you moved before the fall back roll doesn't matter. You could move 6, then assualt 6, then roll for fall back.

When you roll you have to move the full rolled amount in a strait line in any direction you like. Remember you can ignore the units you are in combat with for this move as well.

Bye-the-way your average roll will be 10.5.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2008, 00:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you jump more than 12" just attack a different unit.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2008, 01:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
How far you moved before the fall back roll doesn't matter. You could move 6, then assualt 6, then roll for fall back.

When you roll you have to move the full rolled amount in a strait line in any direction you like. Remember you can ignore the units you are in combat with for this move as well.

Bye-the-way your average roll will be 10.5.
You don't understand my question. I'll try to clarify.

Tau Turn 1: Ninja'O assaults Heavy Weapons Team
IG Turn 1: Stuck in combat. At the end Ninja'O does 'Hit & Run', and falls back 3d6. It happens to result in 14 inches, so you fall back 14 inches.
Tau Turn 2:
You move forward 6 and shoot IG Heavy Weapons Squad, but fall short 2 inches from the squad.
IG Turn 2:
Shoots Ninja'O with Heavy Weapons Team and everything else within range, resulting in a dead Commander.

And as for assaulting a nearby squad, I hadn't thought of that. But even then thats not reliable? What if there is no nearby squad you want to assault, or what if there are only tanks? How has this problem not come up before? Does everyone who uses a Ninja'O just NEVER fall back more than 12 inches?

I would assume this would have happened to somebody, and they would have realized or mentioned somewhere on the internet that the Ninja'O is not reliable. Am I missing something?
Old 29 Jan 2008, 01:34   #5 (permalink)
Tyr
Shas'Saal

There is also cover you can hide behind, vechile or other units due to IC rules. If you fall back more than 12" your 12" move (6" move and 6" assault) can get you back into your deployment. so hiding your commander from a vengeful heavy weapon team shouldn't be to hard.

Remember how you got him up there in the first place?

"I have taken great pains not to laugh at the actions of aliens, nor to weep at them or to hate them, but to understand them."- Aun'shi
Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2008, 01:36   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirojlance
And as for assaulting a nearby squad, I hadn't thought of that. But even then thats not reliable? What if there is no nearby squad you want to assault, or what if there are only tanks? How has this problem not come up before? Does everyone who uses a Ninja'O just NEVER fall back more than 12 inches?

I would assume this would have happened to somebody, and they would have realized or mentioned somewhere on the internet that the Ninja'O is not reliable. Am I missing something?
Well, two things come to mind: First, and most importantly, I don't know many people who opt to take the Ninja'O configuration; you're not supposed to be in close combat. Period. In the off chance that you are charged, it's a nice option, but you should really plan ahead and maneuver so that doesn't happen. Secondly, the average roll is just under 11. Sure, rolling higher than 12" happens, but it's just one of those things, ya know? It's the same with the Genestealer that rolls three sixes (or however many it needs) to blow up your Hammerhead. It's the same as shooting down Dark Eldar Raiders with a single bolt pistol shot. It's rare, but it happens and there's no planning for it.

That's why you should sacrifice a child to the Dice Gods before each game!

-MS
Master Shaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2008, 02:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr
There is also cover you can hide behind, vechile or other units due to IC rules. If you fall back more than 12" your 12" move (6" move and 6" assault) can get you back into your deployment. so hiding your commander from a vengeful heavy weapon team shouldn't be to hard.

Remember how you got him up there in the first place?

My example was what would happen once you: Deep Strike Commander near back of enemies army, manouver him there by jumping through terrain or risking out in the open, joining kroot units ect to give him some "padding" while he moves up. I didn't mean the enemy deploys 12 inches away...

I suppose you just have to trust in the dice then...oh well. Thanks for everyones input!
Old 29 Jan 2008, 02:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I can tell you that I take a Ninja'O in every game, and he is the most fun unit the Tau have. I have jumped more than 12" away on a couple of occasion, but there is always another unit, terrain, or something you can jump behind and stay safe. I really wouldn't worry about it. No one I've ever played against keeps their units 24" apart.
Old 29 Jan 2008, 02:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutfox
I can tell you that I take a Ninja'O in every game, and he is the most fun unit the Tau have. I have jumped more than 12" away on a couple of occasion, but there is always another unit, terrain, or something you can jump behind and stay safe. I really wouldn't worry about it. No one I've ever played against keeps their units 24" apart.
Yeah, thought about it a bit more, and decided that its one of 2 things that can happen.

1.) Your commander falls back LESS than 12 during their assault phase, you re-engage your turn.
or
2.) Your commander falls back MORE than 12 during their assault phase, meaning that + your normal 12 inch movement means you get to move 25-30 inches from the squad assaulted.

The bad case I was talking about was case 2. So I suppose even if I do fall back more than 12, its no biggie. Rarely do tables have no terrain withing a 25 inch radius of any given point, and normally HeavyWeaponTeams come in 2-3s!

Thanks for helping me clarify my thoughts. I think I'll follow through on making a Ninja'O (meaing I rip off the rest off his guns and start magnetizing, so I can choose. Don't you hate it when you start warhammer at 11 and screw up your models? ie. gluing guns on crisis in dumb configurations.)

One last question before my Thread expires it's usefulness. How do you guys recommend I maneuver my Ninja'O to their soft Heavy Weapons or regular-un-power weapon/fist normal squads?
Old 29 Jan 2008, 02:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I usually surround him with a unit of gun drones, so he can't be targeted in the shooting phase. A lot of armies will come to you as well, and I hit and run off of them. When playing against Necrons, I'll hit and run off the unit of Scarabs that right in front of my deployment zone in turn two, then bounce and assault Immortals or Destroyers. The hit and run ability is great. I've had him leap half way across the board to tie up units that were about to obliterate my units.

How are you going to arm him? Right now mine has MP/FB, IA, HMMT, and stims, but I think I'm going to switch out the MP for a PR.