Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Inside a Fire Warriors Helmet
Old 28 Jan 2008, 10:43   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Inside a Fire Warriors Helmet

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I did search for Helmet and it brought up nothing

I was wondering if anyone had any idea of what the inside of a Fire Warriors helmet looks like? I picture something sort of like binoculars that leed to the one optical lense with things like distance etc (kinda like the binoculars they use in star wars :P)
Stell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2008, 10:56   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: Inside a Fire Warriors Helmet

It's not been specified, although based on various videogames (Firewarrior, Dawn of War, etc) you get an idea of what might be possible. As such, here is my theory as to what is inside a Firewarrior's helmet. Bear in mind that this is not Canon, simply my idea (which some might consider Canon for that very reason. :P).

Firstly, the optical interface. The larger of the two "eyes" on the helmet is, in fact, a protective lens / filter over two optical cameras, linked to produce a three-dimensional image of the battlefield. The lens allows for anti-flare filtering, preventing the Shas from being blinded by explosions, etc.

The Firewarrior therefore sees the world much as he normally would. On top of this view, however, is the HUD. Features of the HUD include ammunition counter (may or may not be present in Line Warrior helmets), F.O.F. desgination systems, target tracking and so on. In short, when a Firewarrior sees a target, the helmet automatically scans for any signals that will mark it as an ally. If such a signal is detected, the Firewarrior will be alerted that friendlies are in his line of fire. This may potentially link to a "Safety" system, preventing weapons from discharging at said friendly. When an enemy is detected, the HUD will "lock on" and provide a range counter to assist the Firewarrior in judging the distance. This will be important, as the unnatural spacing of the optical camera makes natural depth judgement more difficult.

As well as these features, the Shas' armour is linked up with command. This allows direct information to be fed into the HUD, and appear visually. This may take any form from a visible "ping" to display an objective, rally point, etc. or a tactical overlay of the battlefield. Written communication is also likely, as it would prove more secure in a combat zone.

Finally, we come to the secondary features of the helmet; each helmet has a built in communication system. Autosenses are almost guaranteed, as they protect the Shas from sonic injury (ie: going deaf from explosions). Night Vision / Thermal Optics are also probable. It is also possible that the Shas, much like Apache crew, are taught how to control each eye independently, and thus could view the world simultaneously in two different modes of vision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2008, 18:57   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

In the Ciaphas Cain, hero of the Imperium Cain and his troops are in a tunnel system with some Tau pathfinders. He stated that he was told that they can "see heat" which to him was crazy talk but we know it has infrared vision. Also that they have at the least a radio system because Cain notes that the were moving and acting like they were communicating with one another but he wasn't able to hear any speak which would imply they had a radio like system. In the codex it is said that their helmet helps them with acquireing targets which would imply enhanced vision and focusing abilities.
zannal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2008, 19:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I always wondered why the helmets had two eyepeices verticaly, instead of horizontal, But i think that (Like wargamer) They can see out of the lense, possibly reducing stun grenades, and in the area where they dont have an eyepeice, they have a HUD with readouts, and targets and such. But i think wargamers idea of a 3d camera is more accurate, because otherwise, with only one eye, they could only see in 2d, and this would put them at a huge disadvantage.
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2008, 21:14   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

At zannal:
Actually, it was Logash who tells Ciaphas that the ambulls in the "caves of ice" part of the book that had heat vision. Ciaphas thought this was crazy but Amberly's foot note at the bottom says that it would only seem impossible to those who haven't looked through a Tau Blacksun filter.(pg 354)

Back on topic:
Assuming that the Blacksun filters are infrared sensors. then I would assume that the standard FW helmet doesn't have it. A shas'ui or higher might have one hardwired in but not your everyday Shas'la. As for what is there, I would guess that your standard HUD functions, Range fingers, target locks, radar(or equivilant) comm systems, stuff like that. although i don't think an anti-friendly fire that wargamer decribed (stops gun from shooting) would work cause then you have enemies using humantau sheilds as perfect protection as no one could fire at you.

May not your shot be positioned by your enemy, but your enemy positioned by your shot.

"98% of Teenagers have tried smoking pot OR drinking. If you're one of the 2% that hasn't, copy and paste this into your sig."
Flaming Aun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2008, 21:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Aun
At zannal:
Actually, it was Logash who tells Ciaphas that the ambulls in the "caves of ice" part of the book that had heat vision. Ciaphas thought this was crazy but Amberly's foot note at the bottom says that it would only seem impossible to those who haven't looked through a Tau Blacksun filter.(pg 354)
Actually, IR and heat vision equipment is fairly common within the Imperium and it's armed forces. Hive gangers can wear them like sunglasses in Necromunda, and it's potentially standard equipment in the Guard. Blacksun filters must do something else that normal heat vision can't do.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2008, 21:31   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

That or the game designers forgot that every other race in 40K has anything more advanced than a searchlight when writing the rulebook. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2008, 22:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Maybe the blaacksunfilter is just a much longer ranged IR cam... It would make sense as it increases the range.
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2008, 00:05   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

@Flaming Aun: Shas'la T'au Kais has blacksun filters...
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2008, 00:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
@Flaming Aun: Shas'la T'au Kais has blacksun filters...

(Before anyone jumps on a Tau hate rant rampage...)

Kais is an exceptional individual in the Tau fluff both in ability and equipment.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote