Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Necron Wraith Issues.
Old 28 Jan 2008, 02:02   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Necron Wraith Issues.

ok i have played my friends Necrons and all was honky doory until his wraiths got close. He had 2 groups of 2 Wariths and no matter what I did it didn't seem to work. 1 of my shooting phases I fired 2 squads of 6 FW's all within Rapid Fire range, 10 Kroot and none of them dropped. I had decent rolls, caused some wounds, but the power "We Will Be Back" always brought them back it seemed. I know it's all a matter of the die, but it seems like I basically turned most of my forces to attack them and they did not drop, luckily i had the rest pinned behind cover. but what are good tactics for taking these suckers down with?
Old 28 Jan 2008, 02:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Necron Wraith Issues.

Kill them all in one turn. If they're all dead, they can't make their We'll Be Back rolls (which requires a living model of the same type – another Wraith – within 6" of the downed model, or within 12" of a Tomb Spider with a living model somewhere on the able).
Screaming defiance with the last breath,
To spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"

Learn to shorten your reach! If your foe can come close enough to negate your striking power, all stratagem is lost, and when all stratagem is lost, the battle is lost.

Tell me now, is there a man among you here, is there no one who will stand up and try to fight? Tell me man, is there not one in all your ranks, is there no one who values courage over life?
Deus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2008, 02:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaraven
ok i have played my friends Necrons and all was honky doory until his wraiths got close. He had 2 groups of 2 Wariths and no matter what I did it didn't seem to work. 1 of my shooting phases I fired 2 squads of 6 FW's all within Rapid Fire range, 10 Kroot and none of them dropped. I had decent rolls, caused some wounds, but the power "We Will Be Back" always brought them back it seemed. I know it's all a matter of the die, but it seems like I basically turned most of my forces to attack them and they did not drop, luckily i had the rest pinned behind cover. but what are good tactics for taking these suckers down with?
I'd recommend you bring some plasma or missile pods in the form of crisis suits. A few shots from the PR (plasma rifle) and MP (missile pod) will make the wraiths take their WBB roll more often, and then you can use your FW's shots on something weaker. One squad of Crisis suits should be able to take them all out, meaning you don't even have to worry about WBB anyways. Crisis suits would probaly be the best solution for you.
Old 28 Jan 2008, 03:49   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Primo

Wraiths are generally easy to counter,

Either have S8+ Weapons to counter the WWB

or

Massfire!

Wraiths got that pesky 3+ Invulnerable save, much like Turboboosting Bikers and alike, what they dont have is alot of wounds!

Wraiths comes in 1-3 Models, by normal fire, you'd need to cause 9 Wounds, to kill em all. (Ei. they fail 3 saves) And hows this done?

Well, if he places em badly, rapid-fire pulse rifles should easily do that, take a 12 man unit, that rapid fires- 24 shots, 12 hits, 9 wounds. Done and done! Heck. if you got a light to add, that just makes things better.

What else?

Deathrain!

Against necrons, these are good to make wounds, they dont instantkill, and they dont ignore most armor (besides scarabs). So they might aswell target Wraiths, or Destroyers, I'd use em for destroyers personally, but you might aswell take the ´wraiths if you cant get sight/range to other targets.

Use your AP1AP2AP3 weaponry for general targeting/killing, wraiths aint worth the hardkilling weapons, as they ignore their major feature.

4 Massacres
5 Solid
2 Minor
1 Draw
0 Losses

Armies Played:
Tyranid, Chaos, Space Marines, Necrons, Daemon Hunters.
Primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2008, 15:39   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

yeah I had a DeathRain and a TLPR XV8. but i forgot that Wraiths ignore Terrain, so i had him hopping behind a wall and they phased through it and crushed him. for my DeathRain i had some extremely horrible rolls. so it seemed up to my Kroot, FW, and Fish
Old 28 Jan 2008, 16:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

Don't bother using low AP weapons, for the obvious reason of that they get an invul. With 1 squad of FW you should be okay once they're within rapid fire range. Remember, they can't assault after Turbo-Boosting.

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2008, 16:41   #7 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Not to hi-jack the thread or anything but my bud is building a Necron army and I've never faced them before. Did I read that right, Necrons can walk through terrain?
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2008, 16:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Only Wraiths can move through terrain.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2008, 21:50   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

yeah it's a pain in the butt. I believe they are a fast unit 12 in. per move and a 6 in. charge.