Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battlesuit Idea, XV9 Equilibrium
Closed Thread
Old 25 Jan 2008, 15:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Battlesuit Idea, XV9 Equilibrium

Ok so this was an idea I got recently after reading a few threads. This new thread is to clarify my post in 5th ed. Changes/inclusions and get your opinions on it. The purpose of this new Battlesuit design is to combine the protection and firepower of a broadside with the mobility and customizability of a crisis suit. Here is an example of how it could be stated out.

XV9 Equilibrium
While the largest battlesuit in the Tau army, about 14 meters tall, it still does not come close to that of a titan. Given only to Shas’el and Shas’o, the XV9 Equilibrium is used as a weapons platform and command center to bring much needed support to anywhere on the battlefield.

Points WS BS S T W I A LD Sv
Shas’o 80 4 5 5 4 4 3 4 10 2+
Shas’el 55 3 4 5 4 3 3 3 9 2+

Unit Type: Jump Infantry (jet pack)

Equipment: The commander is equipped with an XV9 Equilibrium Battlesuit, and must select four Battlesuit systems from the weapons and support systems, one of which must be from the support systems. One and only one of those systems may be filed with a Railgun (solid shot only) at +30 points, an Ion Canon at +15 Points or a Smart Missile System at +10 Points, these options counts as a weapon system. He may also, select additional items from the Battlesuit Wargear list, including special issue items.

SPECIAL RULES
Independent Character: The commander is an independent character and follows those special rules. If accompanied by drones, he may still join other units as an independent character.

XV9 Equilibrium Battlesuit: The commanders battlesuits grants him the Acute Senses and Deep Strike special rules.

Bodyguard: Being meant to fill a support/command role for other units in the cadre, commanders equipped with an XV9 Equilibrium can not be accompanied by a Bodyguard.

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 16:19   #2 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Battlesuit Idea, XV9 Equilibrium

Is that supposed to be 14 meters? If so it would tower over the battlefield troops. Why would they build it so big when they could mount the same gear on a much smaller chassis that could go to ground much easier thus making it a smaller target (and cheaper to build)?
Old 25 Jan 2008, 16:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

A) This should be on House Rules.

B) That is way too overpowered. Basically you have the potentail for one dead tank everyturn with no way to counter. No decent player would ever agree to play against such a unit.

I thought I would be blunt,
Genmotty
Old 25 Jan 2008, 17:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

A JSJ Broadside? No thanks.

Maybe if you didn't allow JSJ when firing the BFGs?
Old 25 Jan 2008, 18:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Sorry I didn't realize this would go in house rules since it was only an idea and not something I actually built or was going to use. please move this if that ist he case, thanks.

Looking at it a second time, yes it is a bit overpowered... but i don't think it would replace broadsides. also, I thought 14 meters was accurate due to the unknown size of a normal battlesuit and it would need to be larger then normal to power a BFG and have a Jet Pack. Additionally, I was going to reduce the BS to 4 but I went off the battlesuit Shas'o and Shas'el and the stats are the same except for the 2+ Sv is the same. Also, I was think that since you could only have a max of two with no bodyguard, it was mildly balanced, but I guess not. Oh well, back to the drawing board, any suggestions on how to balance this monster out.

Old 25 Jan 2008, 19:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think this would have to be considered a Monsterous creature as part of the special rules.
Being able to JSJ with a railgun would require a higher points cost at least 100 points for the base cost.
Considder the points cost of a hammerhead for comparison. Maybe this should be a heavy choice and more comparable to a dreadnought (no JSJ).
I'm not sur it sounds cool but making a balanced unit for gaming may be tricky.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 19:29   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

At 14 meters that thing better not be able to move like a normal Battlesuit.

The height of an XV-8 is not unknown. They've been described as 3 to 4 meters tall.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 20:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Something I noticed - you say it's the largest battlesuit, but isn't the size of a Titan.

A Warhound is 14 meters tall.
Old 26 Jan 2008, 01:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If its 14 metres one would think a lascannon wouldn't be able to instagib it.
Old 26 Jan 2008, 02:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Sory, I meant to say 14 feet, I am American and suck at metric and forget to say feet after reading the word meter allot. Disregard and Lock post... I will try again latter.

EDIT By RZ: Locked at your request.

Closed Thread