Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Broadside Commanders
Old 23 Jan 2008, 19:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Broadside Commanders

I want to write up some rules for some Broadside Commanders, but is it plausible fluff-wise.

I would say yes, as they can rise through the ranks no matter what suit they are in.

Opinions?

Songblade

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Commander Songblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2008, 20:05   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Broadside Commanders

The Tau Empire codex mentions somewhere that as the members of the Fire Caste rise through the ranks, some are able to don battlesuits. After proving themselves, they are given a spot on their Commander's bodyguard, and it is then the Commander that evaluates the Tau, and will elevate them from position of Shas'vre (presumably to Shas'el).

Of course, there's nothing really stopping you.

MS
Master Shaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2008, 20:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don`t know. IA:3 mentions that every Crisis pilot has to absolve a term as a Broadside-Pilot before being allowed to progress through the ranks as a Crisis pilot - because of this I suppose Broadside Commanders are rather unheard of.
Besides, sitting back and blasting the enemy at extreme distances somehow isn`t how I envision a Commander of the Firecaste
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2008, 22:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Staying back and blasting stuff gives you time and a more calm mind. This you can use to your advantage. Really. I dont see why a commander of a higher rank than vre should be on the battlefield in 2000p games. Its a small engagement. Its like a small convoy of troops... Not your average army...
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2008, 01:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well a good leader leads from where he can make the most difference... so if a Shas'El/Shas'O believes has has a more commanding view from the rear, then what's to stop him? I guess you can explain it by saying that most Commanders lead from XV8s only b/c they are mobile and can be at any spot on the Battlefield.

Go ahead and see what you can come up with - it's just a 'just for fun' thing, isn't it?

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2008, 17:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by executioner
Staying back and blasting stuff gives you time and a more calm mind. This you can use to your advantage. Really. I dont see why a commander of a higher rank than vre should be on the battlefield in 2000p games. Its a small engagement. Its like a small convoy of troops... Not your average army...
I'm in agreement with this mentality. If you look at the FoCs from the IA3: Taros Campaign, 'vres are alot more common than they are in players' conventional cadres. In my fluff, my main commander is an 'el - o's are really getting up there, and aren't going to be leading a the equivalent of a combat patrol - while my second-in-command is (you guessed it) a 'vre Broadside pilot. In fact, fluff-wise she's often my "commander" in Combat Patrols, even if she's leading on foot, or in a Crisis Suit. (But piloting a Broadside is her first love.)

You could argue that a Broadside commander has a 1) better tactical understanding the battlefield, viewing events transpire in front of him, or 2) has honored his cadre by being the heavily-armored bait in a Kau'yon set-up.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2008, 18:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Far as I see, having a commander wearing a stealth suit variant, opens up allot fluffwise.

I would love to see a model and the rules for a broadside commander ;D

"One thing about programming, is to make everything boring... You don't want a 100 tonne turbine to get exiting"
GeorgeCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2008, 19:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

But the problem of a stealth suit is that he is finding the information himself and has no view of his army, therefore cannot direct it. And if he stays back... Well... It's just stupid use of equipment that rather should have been given to the scouts that actually need to stay hidden.
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2008, 19:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

hhhhhhhmmmmmmm, just thinking of a combat patrol, minimal 6 fire warriors and the rest on stealth suits, that could be awsome. all those burst cannons and fushion blaters tasty.

but on topic. i realy don't see a problem with having BS commander. infact personally i would even game against one (apart from the fact that t wold be a TL bs 5 rail gun at my throat every turn
Old 24 Jan 2008, 20:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think that a broadside commander would be fine. (Although you may get a few whines from your opponents ) Because surely, a commander at such a high rank, could order a broadside battlesuit, and he would have one made for him, without question.

Also, thinking of it, i wonder why, with ethreals being such a high status, why they cant wear a battlesuit?
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote