Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question on Tau Battle standards
Old 22 Jan 2008, 18:49   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Question on Tau Battle standards

Hello. Recently got back into W40k after a break and I wanted to revive my old Tau army. Having another look through I wanted an ethereal. The problem is I hate the model.

I thought about it and I was wondering if it would be possible to convert a Tau (minimally armoured) to be holding a standard or a banner. Rulewise this would count as an ethereal in all ways because of the 'counts as...' rule.

Anyway enough jabbering and on to the question; is it possible (fluffwise) for a Tau army to contain an army standard bearer? Do they care for things like that? I was thinking of having a Bonding Knife pattern on the standard itself representing the bond between the army (I am planning for everyone to have a bonding knife).

Thanks for reading.
FlamingSpade

PS Also what should I use for the weapons of the ethereal? A standard would be pretty heavy so I doubt two close combat weapons would do.
FlamingSpade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2008, 19:26   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Location: CA, VT, or whatever state I decide to walk to this time.
Default Re: Question on Tau Battle standards

For the weapon, treat it as an honor blade. It is heavy enough that it adds two to the strength of the bearer.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 00:07   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I dont see why not - just say it's Aun'Va's personally blessed standard. Doesn't have the same effect of AunVa himself being around, but inspires the tau around it about as much as having any other etheral around would.
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2008, 00:07   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingSpade
Anyway enough jabbering and on to the question; is it possible (fluffwise) for a Tau army to contain an army standard bearer? Do they care for things like that? I was thinking of having a Bonding Knife pattern on the standard itself representing the bond between the army (I am planning for everyone to have a bonding knife).
I think it's absolutely possible. The Tau are all about the Greater Good, and what better way to show that than waving a big flag around reminding your Fire Caste brothers and sisters of that very notion? You know, something like "Don't fall back! Push forward for the Greater Good!"

Quote:
PS Also what should I use for the weapons of the ethereal? A standard would be pretty heavy so I doubt two close combat weapons would do.
I think theshoe3 has it right. Treat it as an Honor Blade. Maybe add a blade to the top of the standard? Or perhaps you could model a smaller flag onto his back (similar to something you'd see on a samurai or the older Veteran Sergeants) and then give him two knives (which would better represent the Bonding Knife motif for your army).

MS
Master Shaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2008, 07:23   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I would say that the Tau wouldn't carry a flag into battle. It just doesn't sit well with me.

I guess a holographic projection resembling a flag would be OK but I just cannot see a Tau walking into battle with a flag.

This is, ofcourse, just my opinion. If you want to go ahead and make a Standard Bearer, by all means do so. It would be a nice change from what is expected.

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature
Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2008, 08:40   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo
I guess a holographic projection resembling a flag would be OK but I just cannot see a Tau walking into battle with a flag.
That would look cool, and more Tau like than a flag.

Speaking of, I'll have to dig out a pic of my holodrone - normal drone, with bit of clear blister painted to look like a holographic readout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2008, 13:57   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

A holographic projection? That sounds pretty cool but I have no idea where i would start if i wanted to model something like that... What did you have in mind Modo?
Thanks for the advice so far!

FlamingSpade
FlamingSpade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2008, 14:13   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Location: CA, VT, or whatever state I decide to walk to this time.

Some some thin, transparent cloth with a symbol on it, or put two of the clear plastic skimmer stands on it and stretch some plastic wrap between them. Then paint the symbol on the plastic wrap.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 14:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I disagree, symbolism is a large part of tau culture, and having a symbolic individual regularly accompany tau combat into battle.

If Tau culture will tolerate such a high risk target such as an Aun into battle, and the Auns do it to keep the focus and morale of the troops strong, then a flag should not be out of the question.

It seems easy to see why modern military do not bother with banners and such like any more. Soldiers are too spread out over terrain to see the flag most of the time. Also, reality of modern combat dictates taking cover, and seeing your flag carrier cowering behind 2 sandbags doesn't really bolster the morale of troopers around it.

So.... given that the 40k universe is populated by a mixture of ancient, medieval , all the way up to civil war line up and shoot and ww2 almost modern combat. I think flag will fit in with the culture... simply due to the sheer range of fluff "reality" that is present in 40k
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jan 2008, 15:40   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
A holographic projection? That sounds pretty cool but I have no idea where i would start if i wanted to model something like that... What did you have in mind Modo?
Thanks for the advice so far!
Ahem....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
Speaking of, I'll have to dig out a pic of my holodrone - normal drone, with bit of clear blister painted to look like a holographic readout.
I'll get a pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote