Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What are your Key Ingredients for a Successful Tau Army?
Old 22 Jan 2008, 15:08   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default What are your Key Ingredients for a Successful Tau Army?

The subject line says it all. But just to clarify, I'm looking for a discussion of army list composition (big and small), deployment tactics (deepstrike yes/no, infiltrate, etc.) and over all gaming strategy. Basically what makes a good Tau player ... good!

Discuss~!
Lord Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2008, 16:10   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: What are your Key Ingredients for a Successful Tau Army?

i like a well positioned and well timed stealthsuit squad.
darkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2008, 16:26   #3 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

The only thing I deepstrike are drones, but I love infiltrating kroot and stealth suits. They work really well for harassing enemy troops and protecting your flanks.

Right now I play a hybrid army but it looks like the new rules (5th) will favor gunlines with broadsides becoming more reliable than tanks.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2008, 16:36   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Right now I play a hybrid army but it looks like the new rules (5th) will favor gunlines with broadsides becoming more reliable than tanks.
They already are more reliable than tanks...

[hr]

The key things I vitually never play without - Stealths, Broadsides, Tetra's and Deathrain. Its fluffy, they fit in perfectly, and are just so damn useful to have. A game without them just sucks, for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2008, 17:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

1 - knowledge - you really really need to know what your units will be able to accomplish, and what the threats against you mean when assigning your army to different tasks and postures. - comes from knowing all the army lists and rules quite well.

2 - experience - not to confuse with knowledge - which is knowing what is likely to happen. experience is the quickness that your brain can translate that knowledge into an action plan with your Tau army and stick with it. Comes from having played quite a bit, and becoming familiar with the good ways to deal with different situations.

Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2008, 17:17   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Actual
1 - knowledge - you really really need to know what your units will be able to accomplish, and what the threats against you mean when assigning your army to different tasks and postures. - comes from knowing all the army lists and rules quite well.

2 - experience - not to confuse with knowledge - which is knowing what is likely to happen. experience is the quickness that your brain can translate that knowledge into an action plan with your Tau army and stick with it. Comes from having played quite a bit, and becoming familiar with the good ways to deal with different situations.

I agree i can play well with any army with anything (well maybe not with kroot and sky rays) but if you play against marines and chaos you know what to bring plasma rifles and ap 3 guns. Against Guard Burst Cannons and Hammerhead railguns
If you are playing a fast CC army bring Devilfishes to move your troops around and not get in CC so all you need is knowledge, experince and creativity (maybe a bit of blessing from the dice gods
Agreed; the Dark Kin get Dark Matter cannons, whereas those limp-wristed Craftworlders presumably power their Bright Lance, and all their weapons, through homosexual lusting. How else do you explain the Vibrocannon looking (and functioning) like some giant space-dildo? >
i dunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2008, 17:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Fire knife and helios, lots and lots of them ;D
Old 22 Jan 2008, 17:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

down to the nuts and bolts then:

#1 - tau players needs to ensure adequate supplies of long range weapon

This is the first lesson because tau, unlike other armies, cannot bring guns that reach into the 48" band without bringing heavy support (caveat: krootgun). So... tau players must be aware of this problem and either adjust their engagement ranges during play or make sure their heavy support has enough long ranged weapons. Without the long range power, tau will be forced to move INTO range and close with the enemy. Tau static elements really hate moving closer. Therefore, it is crucial to bring enough long range guns so that the enemy is forced into being the one doing the closing.

(Of course, mech tau are fully capable of engaging at closer range, and forgoing long range items..... but this doesn't make sense - why would one not bring the awesomeness of a hammerhead.)

Old 22 Jan 2008, 18:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

#2 - threat ranges

more particularly - charge ranges. Tau player should be able to visually map out the charge ranges across the entire table for all enemy units. Somtimes, the charges will happen... and it can end the game for you if you don't deal with it.

for example, a squad of 10 bikers are bearing down on your static elements. it is led by a artificer armored chaplain. you kill everyone, and put a wound on the chappy, but he doesn't go down, what do you do?

If you do nothing, he charges your line, kills a few, gets locked in CC and "rolls over" through you entire army by consolidating, or sweeping to avoid being caught out in the open.

So what do you do?.... whatever you can to avoid the CC completely, or prevent the roll over.

-skimmer hull screens
-being INSIDE the skimmer
-jumping away
-spread units more than 6" to prevent sweeping
-make sure your units fail their morale after the assault so u can still shoot at the assaulter

take ur pick - ask someone about it - ppl do all sorts of things to minimize damage from CC.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 18:39   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

My Strategy and gameplan;

Target Denial, Target Isolation, Target Annihilation,Target objective

Target Denial: Deny your opponent targets.
Target Isolation: Pick the weak and.or isolated
Target Annihilatrion: Elminate Target until it is for all intend and purposes incapacitated and/or destroyed.
Target Objective: Take your objective in the most decisive way possible.

[hr]

As for what units are good in my 1750pts list;

Commander: A Helios with Shield Generator and also Stimulant Injector. I never leave home without him.

Crisis Suits: I take three squads of Fireknifes for the sole fact that they are there as support platforms for my army against any kind of Opponent. Their range and their firepower are priceless.

Mechanized Fire warriors: They are durable, they are fast, they are deadly. I never leave home without at least two of them.

Hammerheads: They are fast, they are furious, they are deadly. I never leave home without three of them.

The other elements are more or less mix and match. But the things stated here are the staple of my lists.

[hr]
As for rules;

DeepStrike and Infiltrate: I do not use them. Too impractical for my army in general.

Escalation: My best friend and also my worst enemy. When it works it works, when it doesn't I will have a Ta'uk'me of a time.

[hr]

These are the ingredients for my army and they won me quite a lot games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote