Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A new tactic: Stealth Drop
Closed Thread
Old 07 Apr 2005, 03:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to CommanderAce
Default A new tactic: Stealth Drop

I was thinking of a new interesting tactic involving a squad of 6 stealths and three squads of eight drones.* I goes like this: place all 4 squads to deep strike (that has to be possible for this to work).* When rolling for deepstrike chances are when you get the quad of stealths you'll get at least one gun drone squad with it also.* When you deepstrike you choose a target and drop your stealths and drones 13-18 in. away.* This will actually kill around 3 marines with the possibility of pinning them also.* However, the good thing about this tactic is that next turn you assault!* killing another three marines with shooting and when you assault you can take the drones as casualties so that way all of your troops get their full attacks* ^-^!* Statistically you would kill 9 marines by that turn* ;D!* while he would kill 1 drone in assault. Now , the obvious problem is that after the stealths deepstrike they will probably get RPed by bolters killing 2, but remember they still had to take a pinning test.* However, that would be in a full squad of marines which not many rine players field especially with heavy weapons which would be what your aiming for.* I see this as being a similar tactic to the FOF (applying a large amount of fire power where its needed) except it isn't as reliable (scattering), but has longer range without having a chance of getting harmed before you get there.* It also complements the short ranged units weapons and can also provide very decent AT (back armor).
-Achilles in Troy
All my life, I've lived by a code and the code is simple: Honor the gods, love your woman, and defend your country. Troy is mother to us all. Fight for her!
-Hector in Troy
I think the slain care little if they sleep or rise again.
Old 07 Apr 2005, 03:31   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: A new tactic: Stealth Drop

i want to say
That could work very effectiely
May be take 3 crisis with TW PR in stead of stealth suits???

Halo sucks play a real game
HALF LIFE

Once Known as Farsight o'shovah
That was before the awaking.....

My gun is pointed in your direction HE HE HE
I am hungry

I had somthing cool to say he but i forgot
who cares
Old 07 Apr 2005, 03:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

but them you wouldn't get as many attacks in the assault and could easily get shot up by the rest of the army (since you can't hide behind cover). At least the stealths have well... stealth.
-Achilles in Troy
All my life, I've lived by a code and the code is simple: Honor the gods, love your woman, and defend your country. Troy is mother to us all. Fight for her!
-Hector in Troy
Old 07 Apr 2005, 03:47   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

I'm a little confused.* How are you going to assault the next turn if you land 13" to 18" away?* You will be out of assault range unless they move towards you.* If you scatter towards the enemy, he is probably going to assault you on his next turn, potentially denying you the use of the drones as shields.* Also, the drones are going to strike at the same time as marines in close-combat so I'm not sure how only one drone would be killed.* The stealthsuits are normally going to strike first if they are charged, so it might be in your favor to wait if the opponent has few models left.

Is there a significant advantage to deep-striking the stealth suits rather than infiltrating with them and then using the drones as back-up?

Backing up deep-striking suits with drone squadrons is a nice way to give them backup in different tasks, provided you have the points for it.* I would use it more often if the rules for deep-striking weren't so dodgy.
Old 07 Apr 2005, 03:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

You do realise that the stealthsuits do not receive a bonus for their stealth armor when they initiate that charge (so the marines will strike first).

Also, the gundrones only have to be killed first, if they are attacking a unit that has gundrones--they can choose to simply allocate their attacks to the stealthsuits and ignore the gundrones. The gundrone rules concerning assault and having to kill them first only applies if the gundrones are in a unit with other models. Otherwise you have two units, and a multiple combat, which means they simply choose which unit to focus on.

Also, pinning the marines is highly unlikely, and in the shooting phase, they can see the gundrone squad just fine and destroy it. They will see the stealtsuits too since they're not near the 21~24 inch margin for the stealth armor sight roll. So unless you pin the marines, that gundrone squad or the stealthsuit squad is going to be destroyed, which means the other will be promptly next.

I think the idea had merits, but it really just won't work as you can only force a single pinning test on them, or two max with those two squads--they won't be pinned.
Old 07 Apr 2005, 04:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

I'm not in favour of this, you eliminate the possibility of PF and DS 380pts of unit into the marines, if it scatters (most likley) you dont get the concentrated effect.

DS isnt reliable on the best of terms with one monat model, but DS ing that much is going to cause havoc and I'm not sure about the worth of putting that many points that close without being assured to wipe out all opposition.

to be Breif I'm not in facour of it and it offers almost nothing over conventional battleplanning.

sorry dude, just calling it like I see it.

Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 07 Apr 2005, 06:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The whole tactic also depends on getting very similar scatter rolls with the two units but not too similar - you could easily land one on top of the other and that equals dead second squad. :'( The idea of deepstriking two rather large squads in close proximity of each other is really risky. IMO, you'd be better off just deepstriking with the drones and then infiltrating with the stealths. Finally, assaulting with stealths is suicide - you're not going to win against marines, especially if they're running around with a sgt with terminator honors and a PW/PF - if you lose the combat and fail morale they're liable to wipe you out with a sweeping advance.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 07 Apr 2005, 16:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think it's sound, but only - and I mean ONLY - if you regularly face smaller marine units rather than full 10-man squads. Reason beiong is that (A) the marine rapid fire ratio is lower allowing for better survivability on the DS, (B) there's fewer Marines to kill in both shooting and assault phases and (C) that means that the Drones are more survivable (Init 4, remember folks?) and thus able to carry thier end of the deal. 5-7 man Marine squads would be the ideal ones to hit, and even more preferable would be deep units or units to a wide flank (Devestarors, Command squad out of a Razorback, Scouts, etc.)

Otherwise, you can Infiltrate 13 (same cost) Kroot that can wait in position, shoting from cover the entire time, until the Stealths drop in. More attacks, just as expendable and non-depleting leadership. Better deal all around.

3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 07 Apr 2005, 20:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

ok I guess i'm a little confused on the rules: I thoght you have to take majority armor saves in cc and if they were equal it goes to the worst which would be the drones. The reason I ddin't say infiltrate them is though its more reliable this is a tactic to get rid of those annoying 5-7 man tact/devastator squads without using precious sub rounds. As the only other thing that's good at taking out devvie squads is the ion cannon (crisis are outranged badly and mpods don't kill rines too well) which not too many people take given the versatility of the railhead. You could deepstrike crisis' but the devvies/ tact squad would insta-kill them. This seems like a good way too counter really shooty armies for static Tau, so you don't have to move as much. Khanaris, 1.555555 drones would die according to statistics if you assault the now 7-man tact. squad and they probably will kil 2 stealths according to statistics if they shoot at them. But the key here is to use this on an isolated semi weakened squad, by your crisis/pathfinders/firewarriors, just like the FOF.
-Achilles in Troy
-Hector in Troy
Old 07 Apr 2005, 20:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

If the saves are in the same unit, then majority armor saves apply.
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Closed Thread