Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Questions from a new player about Tau in a 40k escalation league.
Old 20 Jan 2008, 02:06   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Questions from a new player about Tau in a 40k escalation league.

Hello everyone,
I will be the only Tau player in a 40k escalation league that starts here soon. I am very new to 40k and Tau and was wandering how the Tau stand up at 500pts. I know there will be like 26 other armies 3 nid, 5 necron, 4 orc, 1 good DE player, Rest are like SM of some sort so far. oh and no ones is playing IG yet. The league will start at 500pts and go to 2000 pts with an Apoc game at the end of the league. I do know that the 1st mission is a take and hold of some sort with loot counters added in.
Well here is what I was thinking of running at the 500pt level standard force org....be nice this is my !st list on my own.

My idea is to atk/counter atk (JSJ) with suits and lay down fire support with Broadside and guard broadside with Fire warriors the piranha has the fill the gaps/antitank role because of the mobility.

HQ: Shas'el with- BC/PR/MT 83pts
E: Battle suit with- BC/PR/HWTL/TA 73pts
E: Battle suit with- BC/PR/HWTL/TA 73pts
T:6X Fire warriors with pulse rifles 60pts
T:6X Fire warriors with pulse rifles 60pts
FA: Piranha with FB/TA 70pts
HVY: Broadside with TL-Rail/SMS/A.S.S. 80pts

total 499 pts
Will this for one be able to hold up to the other armies in the league, and/or is it a good idea to run this way at 500 pt level. Would it be more in my favor to run more FW's or like a HQ, 2 units of fw's in a devil fish's and a hammer head?
Well thank you for any help.....Pastie

Oh by the way the Tau collection that I have right now is:

10 Battle suit/broadsides
1 Piranha
3 hammerhead/devil fish
3 stealth suit
about 30 drones (markers/shld/gun)
10 kroot
49 firewarriors
22 pathfinders
pastiepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2008, 16:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to halohog
Default Re: Questions from a new player about Tau in a 40k escalation league.

1/
It's battlesuit, not battlesuite

2/
Why are there hardwired target locks on your suits?

3/
For every suit you cut down to deathrain+ pattern (TL missile pod & targetting array), you can have two more fire warriors. You also get a mobile autocannon.

Oh, and good luck in the tournament, by the way

Plasma/missile pod suits are better than plasma/burstcannon. And drop the Target locks, and the team leader status required for them, and you have enough to pay for this change.
Old 20 Jan 2008, 18:22   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hey pastiepete; - I think you've managed to cook up a pretty good list for 500 points. However, might I suggest a minor change? Try dropping those hard-wired target locks on your two suits (what are they doing there anyway?) and with the points, maybe pick up a Missile Pod instead of that Burst Cannon on your 'El. I understand that having BCs are good for lighter infantry, so there's no harm in keeping them on your Battlesuits, but hear me out.

By dropping those HWTLs, you should be able to swap your El's BC for a MP, and then add a TA (which means you'll have to HW that MT). A BS5 PR/MP/HWMT Shas'el is utterly nasty, especially in 500 points!

Your list will go a bit over 500 points, but remember that most (meaning you should check with your store just to be on the safe side) GW leagues/tourneys allow you to go over five points of the limit. If my calculations are correct, you'll be sitting around 503 points.

Good luck, and let us know how it's going!

MS

EDIT: Kudos for not trying to take a Hammerhead in 500 points. I've seen it done, so I thought it should be mentioned! :P

EDIT 2: Also, after briefly glancing over it again, you might want to consider dropping those TAs on the two suits in favor for MTs. Of course, by doing that you'll lower your chance of hitting, so I suppose it comes down to preference. Again, just thought I'd mention it.
Master Shaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2008, 06:14   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thank for your help, I will put the changes to the test and get some games in before the league starts. I was going to ask what are Tau tactics at low point levels like this? And that brings me to another question what are the different types of Tau list out?, I know of Mech Tau and Mobile infantry, are there any more styles of Tau armies?

I am really looking forward to this league we have 2 guys I really want to play, but I am going to get spanked off the table...heh I love those types of games were I have to really work for the wins. Both of the guys were in the Ard' Boys that just happen and took 1st and 2 or 3rd at our local store and could not make it to the next stage. And I know one of them has place a GT's a few times and is a really good Eldar player the other guy will be playing most likely his Sisters army.

Thank you again guys for the help.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 11:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Might want to swap the target locks for multi trackers if you haven't done that, as the target lock is only useful with more than one battlesuit in a squad, where the multi tracker will be needed to fire all weapons.

Apart from mech and Mobile Infantry there are static tau, which uses gunlines of unmoving warriors, Broadsides, Snipers, Lots of fire warriors...Isn't used that much. Hybrid is there and is a combo of mech and static, basically mech tau with a firebase (at least for me).

For tactics try to work with your suits and piranha, remaining mobile and doint hit'n'run style attacks. The Broadside would be killing tanks then SMSing squads/character sniping.
Firewarriors could advance to an objective and hold it with rapidfiring goodness, unless an opportunity for longer ranged shots presents itself.

Just some advice.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jan 2008, 12:28   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

When you're fighting the Necrons the broadside will also be your best friend. If you know it'll be a Necron opponent I'd switch the Piranha for another Broadside, since the railguns will Instant Death his tough troops, and will usually be a 2+ roll to wound. You'd have to do a bit of tweaking to get it to fit in with the points, but it would be worth it. Necrons don't have tanks in low point games, until they start using Monoliths, in which case you'll want railguns instead of fusion blasters because it'll be some of the only things that'll even hit it. This is just when Necrons mind you, I haven't tried these tactics with Space Marines or 'Nids or anyone else really, and you might want to change it when the games get above say 750pts also
Cirro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2008, 02:08   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Ello again,
Thank you guys for your help I have tested it out and out of 5 games I have 3 win over CSM, SM, and an all jet bike eldar army. 2 draws, one to that eldar army and other one to a SM player.
What really worked for me was using the FW as speed bumps while using JSJ. This leads me to a question of what is the best set up for a take on all comers equipment for my suits at higher levels?
Well any way thank you again guys....Pastie
Old 24 Jan 2008, 02:18   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastiepete
This leads me to a question of what is the best set up for a take on all comers equipment for my suits at higher levels?
Truth be told, the best 'all-comers' configuration is probably going to be a Fireknife (PR/MP/MT). That being said, some will say that while it is versatile at pretty much every role, it doesn't excel in any. I suggest that you either take Fireknives or split up your suits into role-specific configurations.

MS
Master Shaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2008, 02:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

...its probably going to get you hated, but try to squeeze in two hammerheads.

throw in two minimum firewarriors (or 1 firewarrior, 1 kroot)

and a minimum shas`el

run circles all day...and blast away with submunitions.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jan 2008, 07:31   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Well hated might be a strong word but I could take out my Broadside and piranha to add a Railhead, But is the hammerhead really that good to gimp your self by giving up models? Because you give up a FB and gun drones and SMS and a railgun to gain a Railgun and BC. Hmm just wondering hey I am new to the game I will try it out.

HQ: Shas'el with- BC/PR/MT
E: Battle suit with- MP/PR/HWMT/TA
E: Battle suit with- MP/PR/HWMT/TA
T:6X Fire warriors with pulse rifles
T:6X Fire warriors with pulse rifles
Hvy: Hammerhead with Railgun and BC
Its like 500 pts

But what would you take out to fit another Railhead in?