Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Crash course in Tau
Old 18 Jan 2008, 17:47   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Crash course in Tau

Well, a friend of mine has given me his partially completed army since he is leaving for the Air Force Academy shortly, and wanted to see it get completed. I have always enjoyed watching 40k games and reading all the books, but this will be my first time getting my feet wet with the actual game.
What he has given me I have built and painted over the last two weeks. So far I have:
1 Hammerhead with a Railgun
1 Devilfish
24 Fire Warriors with rifles not the carbines.
6 pathfinders, two with the rail rifles.
8 drones.
I was hoping to go to the local gaming night on sunday as one of his friends told me he would show me the basics and help me through a first match with him. Is there anything else I need or should get before sunday? If its not too many, I can most likely get them built and at least primed before sunday evening. Thanks for all the help, I'm actually quite excited about finally getting into the hobby, I've been just watching for too long.
kradzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2008, 17:53   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Crash course in Tau

Maybe a crisis suit or two or a stealth team, but for a start up army, it seems fine. Just play a low point battle. Learn the rules and get to feel how the Tau play. Good luck.
Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2008, 17:59   #3 (permalink)
Nox
Shas'Vre

You've got every thing you need except a crisis commander. You have to have at least 1 for a legal army. If you like the Tau though I would recommend getting 2 more devilfish for your fire warriors and a few more suits as a start. Hope you have fun and good luck.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2008, 17:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well a mandatory unit is an HQ. Which you don't have, so a good idea would be to pick up a crisis suit (you don't really need the commander suit). Other than that I'd say play a few games and get a feel for the rules in general and then decide in what direction you want to take with this army.

To tell you the truth this looks like a great base for an army and I'm sure you'll have fun learing how to play. Don't get discouraged if you lose a few battles at first. When I started playing Tau there were no websites to learn how to play Tau and so I'd say I lost for a solid year. Don't be afraid to ask questions, thats what this site is all about
Old 18 Jan 2008, 19:07   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Wow. This is a very balanced force your friend gave you. As the others said, you do need a crisis suit to legally play. Though you don't need to buy it, I also recommend getting the commander box. The heads are pretty cool (and a nice change), and you probably want to take the cyclic ion blaster for anti-marine power. If you'd like a sample list, ask or PM me, and I'll send you one.

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2008, 19:43   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I would advise getting a broadside or two for heavy support. My broadside has killed many a Land Raider.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 21:14   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies. He told me it was a pretty stable army-base to start from, and I shall go get a commander and look at some of the other suggestions while I am out tonight to have them prepared or at least primed for Sunday. Glad to have found a nice welcoming community, and I am certain I will be sticking with Tau due to their great background and how their playstyle sounds. Thanks for all the help and welcoming .
kradzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2008, 21:49   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'm happy to help, im new to this site too
Old 18 Jan 2008, 23:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hey kradzz,

The Tau are supposedly one of the trickier races of 40k, but they're definately a rewarding race to play if they suit your style. Glad to see a new player join The Greater Good.

Like you've probably heard, the army your friend gave you makes for a pretty balanced force. However, you're going to have to get a Crisis suit commander (buy the actual Commander box or just use a regular Crisis) to make it legal. From there you should be off to a good start. I wouldn't recommend you committing to any more models until you get a good feel of what you want - 40k is still a pretty expensive hobby, after all.

Make sure to read up on all the Tau articles stickied on this board, they're really great (that's how I learned to play Tau), and after you've played a few games with your friends, you should start to get a feel of what direction you want to take with your army. Other than that, I'd say good luck, have fun!

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2008, 03:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

The Crisis commander model is only worth buying for his Cyclic Ion blaster.
None-the-less, I still bought one. -.-'
I suggest buying an extra suit or two, as well, if you can afford it. They're very handy.

http://www.advancedtautactica.com/academy/
Read some of the information here before you play. It's handy, and organized nicely. The forum's articles, as well as the ones on Tau Online.org itself are very useful too.