Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Stealth Tau and Ordnance weapons
Old 17 Jan 2008, 08:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Stealth Tau and Ordnance weapons

If an ordnance weapon is trying to target stealth units does it get to automaticly see them, and then roll an extra d6 to scatter? Or do they still have to roll to see them?
Old 17 Jan 2008, 08:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default Re: Stealth Tau and Ordnance weapons

It depends on whether the ordnance weapon is barrage or not.
If it's not barrage, then it has to *pass* the spotting check in order to fire at them, if it fails, that weapon can't shoot.
If it is barrage, then no spotting check is necessary, unless they could be in LoS to the team. If they fail the test, or are out of LoS, then they roll the extra D6" scatter.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 18:23   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Ravager Zero's right, a barrage weapon can completely forgo the sight check when firing at Stealthed units (with a slight penalty in the form of that extra D6 scatter). Ordnance has no bearing whatsoever on sight tests.

I think it's stupid that only Barrage weapons can fire at Stealthed units without actually seeing them (seriously, any unit in LoS of a spot can fire at that empty spot as easily as an artillery piece behind cover) especially since Barrage weapons don't even need to roll to see if they hit. Either everybody needs to be able to fire at that spot with a penalty or nobody should be able to.

Just another way for GW to pander to the Space Marine/IG armies, I guess, since almost no other armies have Barrage weaponry. The Tau can take ONE for the whole army and I can't even think of Barrage weapons in other armies off the top of my head.
Ninja Snarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 18:56   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Location: CA, VT, or whatever state I decide to walk to this time.

It seems to me that the Space Marines and IG would be the only armies likely to use barrage weapons. I could be wrong (I don't have that much experience with armies other than Tau, SM's and Nids) but humans, which these armies came from, having been using barrage weapons since way back in the day.
As an example, Tau have rail rifles and ion cannons. the one "barrage" weapon they have seems to be a cluster bomb dropped from a passing crisis suit.
The Elder have Lance weaponry. What use do they have for something as inaccurate as barrage weapon?
Old 18 Jan 2008, 06:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshoe3
It seems to me that the Space Marines and IG would be the only armies likely to use barrage weapons. I could be wrong (I don't have that much experience with armies other than Tau, SM's and Nids) but humans, which these armies came from, having been using barrage weapons since way back in the day.
As an example, Tau have rail rifles and ion cannons. the one "barrage" weapon they have seems to be a cluster bomb dropped from a passing crisis suit.
The Elder have Lance weaponry. What use do they have for something as inaccurate as barrage weapon?
I believe the Tyranid Biovores fire barrage. But you're right, barrage is a lot more common from the human armies. Tau have the one Special Issue gun, but that's it. A fair number of armies have non-barrage large blast like the hammerhead railgun submunition. I actually prefer the barrage weapons, though. When you fire that, at least you know that it's going to land SOMEWHERE! A missed submunition just plain misses.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2008, 07:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

This is why my Stealth team incorporates a Shield Generator for all Six men. I was sick of Bio Acid Biovores, Earthshakers, Whirlwinds and the occasional Inquisitorial Orbital Strike mashing my men up.
Old 18 Jan 2008, 09:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Any guess weapon still has a 33% chance of killing the stealth unit that no one can see.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2008, 10:01   #8 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

Fluff wise (and in epic) the Tyranids have much larger artillery creatures than the biovore (I was reminded of this by wargamer while saying how the biovore was a reason the human might defeat the tyranids...).

The Eldar have a form of artillery in the form of the nightspinner, which fire a mono filament wire similair to that use in war spider guns that lands in a razor sharp cloud over the intended target.

Ork have alot of seige style cannons, both in 40k and epic, but people rarely field them. Don't forget grot bombs either.

I know this is kind of off topic, but I just thought Id throw a bit of fluff in.
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2008, 12:39   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Location: CA, VT, or whatever state I decide to walk to this time.

Ah, Orks. I forgot about them, I used to play Orks before making my Tau army. I actually always field at least two lobbas. It goes with both my style of play and how I believe Orks like to fight. Also, the chance to launch a grot on the roll of a six? Priceless.
I convinced my friends to let me change the rule when playing for fun: I would keep a small group of boys behind the lobbas. On the roll of 6, instead of launching a grot, it would launch a boy who would hit as if he had furious charge. You think riding in a speeding car is fast, try flying through the air!